I have a dark secret

Lord Bowser

listen
Banned User
I have never played a Pokémon game in my life.

ever.

but I really want to change that now. my question is, what would be the best game to play first as a total newcomer to the series?

pick the one that's got your favourite colour on the cover.

I guess it depends on a lot of factors. Here's my opinion that probably no one will agree with me.

If you want to start out with the first ever region: play fire red/leaf green. Updated of the original red/blue/green/yellow that looks and plays better than it too.
If you want to play one of the most popular of the more spritey pokemon games (before the ds) play Pokemon Emerald (or ruby or sapphire but emerald has more).
If you want to play one of the new styled Pokemon games, either get Platinum or Black/White (which I think are better than Black2/White2)
I wouldn't start with Gen 6 of X/Y (their not the highlight of the series by any means) or Omega Ruby/Alpha Saphire (because I would defintely recommend playing Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald first)
If you want to play a game on MY favorite region, play either Gold/Silver/Crystal or Heartgold/SoulSliver (latter are remakes)

If you want to say SCREW THE MAIN GAMES I WANT TO PLAY THE SPIN OFFS FIRST play Pokemon Conquest or Pokemon Coliseum

Hilda said:
this is literally my line of thinking when it comes to choosing between the two versions

Hilda said:
seriously that's all it takes

but imho you can't go wrong with getting the latest non-remake pokemon game, so start with X or Y.
aside from the plot, its a solid iteration that has heaps of pokemon to catch and places to explore until post-game. X and Y also introduced a bunch of things that made the game much more friendly to newcomers, so it really is the best starting point for now.

after that, try playing one of the Gen IV games for DS, preferably Platinum. It has less Pokemon than the new games and sprite graphics, but you'll likely appreciate the story and content so much more because its handled really well.

HeartGold/Soulsilver are a good follow-up to that because they're the best remakes GF has made, period.

All of the Gen V games are great but they should really be experienced after Gen IV. They would be Black/White, Black2/White2.
and from there just play whatever. i'd recommend Emerald somewhere down the track unless you'd rather go for the Gen III remakes.

tl;dr:

X or Y
then Platinum
then HeartGold or SoulSilver
then Black, White, Black 2, or White 2
then whatever

again choosing which version you want solely depends on whether you want to catch the thing on the box or not

either that,
or you just wait until Sun/Moon come out and jump in then because those are gearing up to be some really good games that will blow X/Y out of the water

First one you definitely gotta play is Pokemon Channel.

You get to watch TV with Pikachu!

Doesn't that sound fucking amazing?

I think you should start with one of the better ones. The thing is that all Pokémon games are kind of same-y, so if you start with the weaker ones and work yourself to the high-point, chances are you're going to get burned out before you arrive at the end, and then you will be unable to actually enjoy any of it.

So I'd say start with (Heart)Gold/(Soul)Silver and Black/White. Then, if you aren't tired of the formula by then, you can take a look at X/Y for the series' leap towards 3D models. After that, you can do the series at your leisure (if you still want to. You don't really have to).

Also, you're not missing much by skipping gen4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum), hyuck hyuck!

Mani Mani said:

ever.

but I really want to change that now. my question is, what would be the best game to play first as a total newcomer to the series?

I've never played one until earlier this year and I started with Pokémon Blue on 3DS, so.

i've never touched one either

oddly I don't have a huge desire to either

The only one I ever got invested in that I owned was Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, but that's far from a perfect game.

In all honesty, HeartGold is your best bet.

another question; how do final bosses (and bosses in general) work in these games? that's something I never really figured out. do you just battle stronger pokémon or what?

The final bosses are a group of four elite Pokemon trainers called the Elite Four and their champion. Their Pokemon are the toughest you'll encounter throughout the game.

I would say X & Y or Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, basically gen 6. Despite being the lastest gen, I feel these game are the easiest to learn Pokémon mechanics. And they are fun.

I would actually vouch against starting with Gen VI (well at least X/Y I haven't played the Gen 3 remakes). Yes they are easy and newcomer friendly, but as a person who's been playing Pokemon all my life, X/Y wasn't that fun for me. It had some really good things, but overall it was extremely dull. I don't think I am the only one who thinks this.

X/Y were the worst games in the series IMO and effectively killed all my interest in Pokemon for two years. Granted I haven't played GSC or ORAS, but I can't see either of those being worse. Unless they somehow managed to fuck up a remake.

might be better off, there are better rpg franchises out there. I mean yeah pokemon isnt the worst but i wouldnt call it anywhere near the best bar a few games.

Depends on what systems you own, but I would personally recommend HeartGold/SoulSilver

Heartgold and Soulsilver are really good games, I would pick one of them. Platinum is also great, but it is a really slow experience.

Black.
Or if you want spinoffs, SSB4 has Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, the Pokéball item, the Master Ball item, and some Pokémon stages.
Oh wait, you probably want a Pokémon spinoff that's NOT a crossover. In that case, try Pokémon Go.
You probably don't want to get sweaty, either. Try Pokémon Picross, Shuffle, or Rumble World.

Samson said:

ever.

If you are not sure, I would recommend Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. It was my first Pokemon game that was a physical copy, and I enjoyed it! It's user-friendly to new Pokemon fans with the easy controls and easy battles and gameplay. Now, it may sound boring, but really, it took me 12 hours to beat it. And don't forget Wi-Fi battles! You can battle players online with the Pokemon you want. Now, it may differ, depends on the battle type you choose and stuff, I'm not that smart so I don't know. And, KYOGREEEEEE. If my 2DS screen ever gets fixed and you have the game, you can trade with me.

Back