New York City public transport/transit

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Question to people that may live in New York City.

My mother and grandmother are visiting NYC later this year and we're looking at public transport and stuff.
We've found the MetroCard which apparently has a 7-day unlimited edition and works in most if not all public transport in the city. [1]

Would the MetroCard be sufficient for this or are there some hidden pitfalls I didn't find but we should be aware off?

NYC Subway (line A) and AirTrain JFK are at least planned to be used.

(I guess we're a bit spoiled with the Dutch one-card-fits-all system.)

from what i'm checking (since i never rode the thing), i think you'll need separate tickets for the AirTrain.

you should be able to cover all subways and buses with this, however, which will get you around nearly all of the city. mind you staten island isn't connected directly by subway, but the ferry to it is free

I was on a school trip to NYC a couple of months ago and we never knew where to buy the week-long pass lol not in the regular machines, that's for sure.

(postconflicted)
doesn't the airTrain only connect between different parts of JFK airport? Or is it another part of the subway system?

I haven't been to nyc in a long time but iirc buying any kind of multiple-ride pass for the subway is very confusing especially if you're not used to public transport and the nyc pricing scheme in general. I think we only ended up using day passes to ride the subway because buying anything else would be really confusing.

Drift said:
doesn't the airTrain only connect between different parts of JFK airport? Or is it another part of the subway system?
It's for the airport only, yes.

Drift said:
I haven't been to nyc in a long time but iirc buying any kind of multiple-ride pass for the subway is very confusing especially if you're not used to public transport and the nyc pricing scheme in general. I think we only ended up using day passes to ride the subway because buying anything else would be really confusing.
We couldn't find 1-day MetroCards so I'm thinking you used another system back then?

are you using the airtrain just to get to/from the airport?

and I either don't remember that there was a day pass before (this was ~2012) or it just doesn't exist, upon looking it up it seems that the only option is a pay-per-ride or week pass. In that case you would be better off just buying a weekly pass as it'll save more over paying for each ride if you're going to exclusively use the subway.

Drift said:
are you using the airtrain just to get to/from the airport?
Yes. (to)

Drift said:
and I either don't remember that there was a day pass before (this was ~2012) or it just doesn't exist, upon looking it up it seems that the only option is a pay-per-ride or week pass. In that case you would be better off just buying a weekly pass as it'll save more over paying for each ride if you're going to exclusively use the subway.
Alright, perfect. There are no second to second plans yet but depending on things they might use other means of travel too, though subway is for sure.

Thanks guys.

Magnolia Arch said:
the heck? they should definitely have it. Metrocard, new card, unlimited, 7-days?
Lakituthequick said:
What I read on Wikipedia is that all types of cards are available at booths and vending machines on subway stations, except single ride tickets (that are in vending machines only). That isn't really hidden as far as I can tell.
Huh, maybe we were just dumb

Back