MarioWiki:Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driftmaster130

Rest in Peace, Walkazo
I removed my proposal here for a number of reasons: there were a lot of mixed opinions, some users completely misunderstood the idea of the proposal (e.g. trollbaiting), and it was said that deleting/changing official policies may not even be allowed to be handled with a TPP. Bazooka Mario came up with the idea to rewrite the page to cover general disruptive behaviour by users instead of the general term "trolls" (see comments here and here); which seems like a better idea and the reason why most of the opposers didn't want to delete the page completely. Personally I also think this is a better idea and I probably would have added a third option if it was allowed. This opens three options on how to deal with the page:

1) Delete it/possibly redirect to MarioWiki:Vandalism: Same thing I said in the proposal initially, it's too similar to MarioWiki:Vandalism and is therefore redundant. Both pages include information on how to stop vandals/trolls (which seems more of an umbrella term for any wrongdoers in this context(?)), but only the Vandalism page clearly distunguishes between the two whilst MarioWiki:Trolls only describes actions of trolls and blatant disruptive users which could also be lumped under "vandalism". The second portion which includes how to stop wrongdoers which is common to both pages, seems to be the more important part. I did an experimental rewrite of MarioWiki:Vandalism here (user:driftmaster130/Work), which includes any information (albeit very little) from MarioWiki:Trolls that could be merged to the page if the former were deleted.

2) Rewrite MarioWiki:Trolls: Bazooka Mario came up with this idea (see the comments I linked to above which give details) and this honestly seems like a better idea rather than deleting the page outright considering it would hit two birds with one stone by getting rid of a redundant page and essentially writing a new one at the same time. Many people who opposed the proposal said they would prefer this idea instead of the initial one in the proposal. I'm guessing many people here would probably go with this one as well.

3) Do nothing: Pretend this never happened. While we're at it though (and even if any of the other two options are agreed upon) I think we should add something to MarioWiki:Vandalism on not feeding/baiting/acknowledging the vandals (I also included that in my work page, something similar to that possibly), considering that the admins frequently bash users who do so but there's no solid guideline for it in the policies. It's not as much of a problem now as it was 2-3 years ago (especially when that one recurring vandal who most people probably remember was active; one user was even permabanned for repeated trollfeeding and harassment).

tl;dr Something needs to be done about MarioWiki:Trolls, discuss here.

Number 2 the one that my twin came up sounds like the best option to me.

I'm sure most people would also agree with that one since everyone who opposed cited that as a better option.

I was wondering if an admin could comment on this, both to give an opinion and also to elaborate on whether TPP's regarding policy pages are actually allowed? afaik there's no solid rule for it (Ghost Jam opposed the proposal saying that they're not allowed) but only because this is the first time this has probably happened.

Either 2 or 3 works for me.

As for the question about TPPs and policy pages, I agree with Ghost Jam; changes of policy pages should not be handled through TPPs.

If that's the case then I think something should be added to the TPP rules on the proposals page that TPPs can only deal with actual articles, etc. and not official protected pages? I know this is probably the only time that happened but to prevent this sort of confusion in the future you might want to add it.

Also am I allowed to re-propose the same TPP with the third option?

Hobbes said:
Either 2 or 3 works for me.

As for the question about TPPs and policy pages, I agree with Ghost Jam; changes of policy pages should not be handled through TPPs.
Yeah, shouldn't they be a main-page "Writing Guidelines" kind of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back