Your worst stages from each respective Smash?

Ray Trace

Fastest at casing, fastest at carrying
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
Super Smash Bros.
None of them are particularly awful in my opinion, but Sector Z is far too huge and Dreamland is a bit on the boring side.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
I don't particularly hate any of these either when playing with my settings, though in other cases, Jungle Japes, Big Blue, and Green Greens might get my vote here.

Jungle Japes has annoying, hard to see pits, too many small platforms with small gaps, with the fast flowing water and overpowered klaptraps.

Green Greens's bomb blocks are stupid.

Big Blue is incredibly difficult to fight on, with all standable platforms that are constantly moving.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Bros., I hate nearly everything about this stage. I hate the fixed camera. I hate the over abundance of collisions. I hate the walk-offs. I hate the enemies. The only thing I probably don't hate is the music choices, they're pretty decent as far as I'm concerned.

Spear Pillar is horrendous in its stage design, with the egregious cave of life on the bottom that may as well not be there and overpowered and disruptive legendary Pokemon.

Green Hill Zone has a too high blastzone, annoying destructible floors, and that stupid checkpoint that has too high knockback.

New Pork City is a stupidly huge stage with a horrendous design where your characters are microscopic and there's gigantic empty space.

75m is pretty gross, too stupidly huge with overpowered stage hazards and a nonsoft floor that makes it irritating to navigate.

Rumble Falls has overpowered spikes. I don't really mind autoscrollers though.

Mushroomy Kingdom's stage layout doesn't bother me as much, it's mostly how they chose to portray Mario. They did it in one of the worst ways Nintendo could do it: instead of making 1-1 look like, you know, 1-1, it has to be post-apocalyptic, gritty, dead, and edgy. I have stated before that wildlife doesn't deteriorate on its own over time, it actually becomes more wild, lush, and less desolate, so unless a nuclear bomb was dropped on here or global warming drastically occurred, it doesn't even make sense from a "realism" viewpoint either. Also, with Nintendo being Nintendo recently, 1-1 is one of the most regurgitated level designs ever, so there's literally no possible way it could be "abandoned".

I don't like hating on Brawl's stages, as there are some stages I really like in Brawl, but oh man does the weakest Smash Bros. entry imo have some of the worst stages in Smash Bros. series.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Paper Mario is blah. The fan in the first segment is annoying while the third segment is mostly giant void with empty space, difficult to fight seriously. It's amusing to see CPUs commit suicide here but otherwise, this stage is meh. How it's based off the worst Paper Mario is the least of my worries: if the stage is Sticker Star-based and fun to fight in, I'll like it. This is not the case here.

Dream Land has puke green graphics all the way through. I know it's supposed to be representing Kirby's retro time periods, but since when Kirby was ever a retro game series? I don't think this stage does the Kirby series any justice at all. It's still not a good stage, even disregarding its ugly visuals.

Living Room, the stage is far too big and the falling blocks fall unexpectedly fast and it doesn't help that their knockback is high. It's lame, boring, and annoying when it could be.

Tortimer's Island's stratospheric upper blast line is what killed the stage for me.

Gaur Plain's stage layout is unwieldly, awkward, and just not fun to fight in.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Palutena's Temple is too huge, even for 8 player Smash. You can barely see your fighter and it's incredibly difficult to score KOs on this stage due to its size. The developers thing 8 players is an excuse to make a stage as huge as they can when it makes a stage an unfocused mess. If you want an 8 player Smash stage done right, look at Big Battlefield, Norfair, Mario Galaxy, Luigi's Mansion, where they're not too big, but not too cramped either (though I do personally enjoy cramped stages myself).

Gaur Plain is even worse in the Wii U version, where its larger size exemplify its problems even in 8 player Smash.

Pac-Land is the worst stage in this game. It has eye-searing visuals stemming from awful contrast, abnormal pits so you'll fall off in the weirdest of places, no grabable ledges to speak of, annoying fire hydrants and logs, tiny blast lines, and horrendous music to do to your ears what this stage does to your eyes. Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be "retro", but these graphics aren't "retro", they're outdated and they look like they've been drawn in MS Paint by first time users of it. Retro stages would be Balloon Fight, Mario Bros., 75m, they still look nice and the contrast is decent. Here, they used the clown color palette so the overly bright colors burns away your cones.

Miiverse is a stupid stage, mostly thanks to, you know, Miiverse.

Otherwise, I think this game has my favorite stages, especially Pilotwings and Mario Kart 8's Mario Circuit.

So out of these, here's how I'll rank them, from the worst being 1. with the least worst being lower:
  • Mario Bros.
  • Pac-Land
  • Spear Pillar (it gets points over Pac-Land for having decent music and nice visuals)
  • New Pork City (its stage hazard isn't as bad as Spear Pillar's and it's less infuriating)
  • Palutena's Temple
  • Miiverse
  • Rumble Falls
  • Green Hill Zone
  • 75m (it's not higher because the Wii U version of it is far more playable than the Wii version, thanks to its dropthrough platform and 8 player smash)
  • Gaur Plain
  • Living Room
  • Dream Land (3DS)
  • Tortimer's Island
  • Mushroomy Kingdom (it's low on the list because at least it's pretty fun to play in despite its miserable aesthetics, and the music is great)
  • Paper Mario
  • Jungle Japes
  • Green Greens
  • Big Blue
  • Sector Z
  • Dreamland (N64)

So what are my unpopular opinions? I'll list stages that a lot of other people hate but I don't hate.

Super Smash Bros.
Planet Zebes: I dunno, the acid is kinda funny. It's not really funny when you're on the receiving end, but it's amusing to knock people down and watch the acid make them fly all the way up and turn into a star.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Icicle Mountain: People tend to hate autoscrollers. I don't belong in that category of people. I quite enjoy them, even. The only one I hate is Rumble Falls, and it's mostly to due its awful thorns.

Kongo Jungle: The klaptraps and barrel could get annoying, but I'm ok with those really.

Yoshi's Island: I love its cramped nature. The Wii U version of it is one of my favorite stages, even.

Brinstar: I like this stage.

Flat Zone: It's amazing in 4 player Giant Melee.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Port Town Aero Dive: I agree the cars suck but I still like the rest of the stage.

Hanenbow: It's not a good stage but I don't find it particularly horrible either, despite its somewhat wonky stage layout.

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Mute City: The stage is amusing for me.

Balloon Fight: I like it, even, despite the overpowered lightning bolts.

Wily Castle: I like the Yellow Devil, actually. It's great to see him explode and see Wario and Pac-Man caught up in his explosion. Same deal with the Wii U version.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
The Great Cave Offensive: The danger zones are too amusing for me to hate it, despite its sheer size and cramped nature.

Orbital Gate Assault: I really love the design of this stage, I think it's great, despite that it's essentially littered with stage hazards.

Gamer: I find this stage pretty fun to Smash in.

My least favorite stage of all time would have to be Mario Bros. or Spear Pillar. Hated those two. Mario Bros. is at least replaced in Project M, but not Spear Pillar. Ugh. Screw Palkia.

I don't get why Project M doesn't have the option for a neutralized Spear Pillar. If it wasn't for the bottom cave of life and the disruptive legendaries, it would have been a solid stage. Dialga is the best one since it doesn't flip your controls, but that's about it.

I don't mind stage hazards, just don't make them unavoidably disruptive or overpowered.

Beyond the stages that ruin decent designs with horrendous hazards (Gaur Plains, Pyrosphere, New Pork City, Brinstar Depths, etc.) or the stages that can't settle on a design for more than a minute (Mushroom Kingdom U, Skyloft, Delfino Plaza, Flat Zone, etc.), I'd probably say that 75m is the worst. It's a jumbled mess of platforms with annoying ladders and not enough room to actually fight. The only large area is in a cramped area at the top, which is also significantly hindered by those goddamn jacks that fly out every minute. Whenever the stage came up while my friends and I were playing, we would hate every second we spent inside. Pac-Land's jarring and autoscrolling madness is also pretty high up on the list of stages that nobody wants to play. I'd probably also nominate Pokefloats, but the sheer craziness of the visuals makes it a blast despite the lack of redeeming qualities, especially when everyone around you insists on Final Destination exclusively.

I don't know why you don't like dynamic stage changes Time Turner, I think that makes stages interesting to fight in.

I prefer having consistent terrain than terrain that never lets you get used to where you're fighting. I don't mind it so much in areas like Castle Siege, where the transitions are quick, but most of the time, the majority of your fights take place on a simple floating platform, which is eh.

Actually, I think transitioning helps balance the stage. Pokemon Stadium is probably the most balanced Melee stage because of its transitions.

Brinstar Depths is virtually unplayable. Unless you play Giant Melee, then it doesn't seem so bad. 75m is also virtually unplayable without 8-player Smash.

Time Turner said:
Pac-Land's jarring and autoscrolling madness is also pretty high up on the list of stages that nobody wants to play.
Same here, but modding 8-player Smash with cacophonous custom audio in makes it so much more enjoyable.

Time Turner said:
I prefer having consistent terrain than terrain that never lets you get used to where you're fighting. I don't mind it so much in areas like Castle Siege, where the transitions are quick, but most of the time, the majority of your fights take place on a simple floating platform, which is eh.
I guess, but I think the "lets you get used to where you're fighting" is not that strong of an argument. Just play it more and maybe have an occasional "marathon" playthrough (like 17 minutes, though that's "normal" for me) and you'll get "used" to it in no time. Also, when the stage changes, you have to change your tactics too, and characters in a disadvantageous layout might soon find it being adjust to be more fair. Unlike Final Destination, where if you're Ganondorf against Fox... yeah.

See, I liked Brinstar Depths because:
1. I love Metroid.
2. That has always been one of my favorite songs from the franchise and that's a damn good arrangement of it.
3. Poor Kraid never got a 3D model outside of Melee.

That doesn't necessarily make it a good stage but I still like it well enough.

This reminds me: I like Big Blue's concept of fighting on cars and the music on there is also pretty great as well. I actually don't mind it in nonserious play in Giant Smash buuuut I'd rather avoid that stage if I need to play it in Special Events or something.

My least favorites from Melee are Icicle Mountain and Mushroom Kingdom. The former has scrolling and isn't all that interesting. The latter has a very unpleasant layout and those fucking bricks everywhere irk me.

From Brawl, Mario Bros. and 75m. Baby Luigi already explained perfectly why these tracks suck.

As for Wii U, I can't think of any I hate really at the moment. I'll post again if any come to mind.

Baby Luigi said:
Actually, I think transitioning helps balance the stage. Pokemon Stadium is probably the most balanced Melee stage because of its transitions.
The size of the blast zones gives Fox a big advantage. There's a reason the slang term "Fox Stadium" is used.

Of course this is looking through a competitive lens. It's fine for free for alls.

Yeah but is it as big as Fox's advantage in Final Destination?

Pokémon Stadium was one of the few stages that people in tournaments have almost never questioned being legal, and for a long time, was a starter. Many people considered Pokémon Stadium to be one of the fairest stages in Melee because the shifting terrain was generally not very disruptive to gameplay, and for some time, was thought to prevent excessive projectile camping. However, it was found that Fox and Falco had a large advantage on this stage because the geometry of the stage and terrain allowed them to projectile camp with Blaster very safely; it is also the only legal stage with walls, allowing Fox to perform the drill shine infinite. The large horizontal size of the stage benefits their movement greatly, while hindering other characters who cannot traverse across the stage as easily, while the low ceiling allows even earlier KOs for Fox's two main finishers. The transformations also benefit Falco, and especially Fox, greatly in several matchups by either giving them more room to approach or safe spots to camp in. As such, it has been deemed a counterpick stage in more recent rulesets, with some Melee players arguing that it should even be banned because the advantages given to those two characters are far too overwhelming for the majority of the cast.

The transformations usually help Fox.

Welp, maybe it's the nature of the transformations rather than transformations in of itself.

64: It's hard, I like them all. If I had to pick, probably Sector Z.

Melee: Jungle Japes

Brawl: Rumble Falls

Smash 3DS: Dream Land, the new one, not the 64 remake.

Smash Wii U: Pac Land

I was about to remind you but I was deathly afraid that you had neutral opinions or even liked the stage.

I'm not sure why they didn't just go with PAC-MAZE for both. That stage was a much better representation of the PAC-MAN games.

I dislike Pac-Maze only because it seems to slow down every four seconds, and so its stage mechanic gets really annoying really quickly, especially when your matches go for 17 minutes a pop.

64: I think I'll say Sector Z (that's the one like Corneria right?). I just prefer the other stages overall.

Melee: I'll say DK Island - Kongo Jungle, I know it's silly but I cannot stand the rap music there. After that I'll probably say Big Blue cause I get a headache fighting there.

Brawl: Oh boy, quite a few come to mind. Mario Bros., Hanenbow, Rumble Falls, New Pork City, 75m, Spear Pillar (and probs some others I can't think of atm) for being poorly thought out.

Wii U: Pac-Land feels like a Mario Party mini-game gone horribly wrong. If Great Cave Offensive didn't have the lava that KOs you once you're past 100% it'd be horrible, but that's the saving grace and actually makes it somewhat enjoyable. I also don't like Windy Hill Zone, and on Mario Maker (the Omega form only changes background? I actually don't own it but it has been chosen online occasionally) I get dizzy playing there so that's a no-no.

Huh, I remember I used to hate the DK rap music there, but even when I reached that point where music is disabled, I very, very occasionally reenabled the music for ironic reasons. Like, the music is playing and is commenting how much of a badass DK is, but the reality is that he's giant, frozen, and getting Star KO'd.

Me, the only way I play Great Cave Offensive is coins and it has to be Giant Smash and 2.0 ratio and with the items that my sister mentioned in her post. It gets so freaking crazy there and I love it.

Pac-Land definitely has the worst omega form. Those walls are deceiving. >_>

Back