Author Topic: Fire Emblem Fates Tournament - gauging interest (post here if want)  (Read 1861 times)

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile

Because we are secretly a Fire Emblem forum and Intelligent Systems has finally figured out a way (competently or not) to give us 1v1 Online Matches to battle with our anime lords, there's no excuse not to host a Fire Emblem Fates tournament!

What is Fire Emblem?

...why did you click on this thread?

Fire Emblem is a strategy JRPG developed by the aforementioned Intelligent Systems that features a complex battle system where you control an army made from a varied cast of colourful characters and battle on many different maps and terrains, all the while trying to defeat some kind of EVIL. Fates features a branching story path where you can choose to kill your siblings, kill your siblings while regretting your decision, or join Smash. It also features an online mode which will be the focus of this tournament.

Online Mode?
yes

Fates also features an online 1v1 mode wherein you can choose a team of 5 characters/units and go head-to-head against another player on a variety of low-level maps, some featuring terrain alteration. The fun part about this is that you can watch each other take turns and move units in real-time, so it's like chess if chess had weapon matchups, 14-year old 1000 year old dragons, magic tomes with godawful pronunciations, Takumi, etc.

However, like all Fire Emblem games, some units are definitely better than others, and it's incredibly hard to balance a game where each unit has a plethora of skills that can make or break the game. From my own experience with the game and with some research from other sites that have hosted Fates tournaments, I've decided on a draft rule set that is detailed below. This is entirely subject to change and I'd love some input from people who want to participate in this tournament to ensure it is fun, while also balanced. I can also host an 'anything goes' *bleep*fest if that is what people desire, but for ease of being able to fairly award tokens I'd prefer if we had some restrictions on units.

Restrictions?
stop that

Here is the list of rules I posted in the tourney thread, with some modifications I've just considered. THESE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE/INPUT FROM PLAYERS SO PLEASE POST THOUGHTS IF YOU WOULD LIKE THIS TOURNAMENT TO EXIST

--- Rounds will consist of a best-of-three 5v5 online match between two players. Map selection will be worked out later, but there will be no random positioning, 5 minute decision time, Eternal Seal leveling allowed, Handicap on.
--- Swiss system will likely be implemented, though I'll need to figure out how to do that.
--- You get one team for the tournament. When you sign up publicly in the thread, you'll need to privately PM me your friend code, team name, which game (Birthright, Conquest, Revelations) you are using, units (indicating the classes, level and ranking they have, as well as which ones you have used Boots on). This is the info that will be shown to your partner when I send PMs for battling. Items/Skills need not be provided (maybe), but do note the restrictions I've given below before you start teambuilding.
--- No forged weapons, simply too much of a hassle to balance properly.
------ Odin might be the exception to this rule if I can figure out which weapon he can have, maybe an E rank +1 weapon with a name.
--- Character-specific weapons (Yato, Raijinto, Seigfried, Fujin Yumi, etc.) are allowed.
--- Rods/Staves are allowed, but only two rods from these four are allowed on any one team at a time: Freeze, Hexing Rod, Rescue, Silence. Bifrost shouldn't be an issue since afaik it doesn't work online.
Skill and unit restrictions will be applied:
--- No bond units, logbook units, Einherjar units, or amiibo units. My reasoning is that not everyone can obtain exact replicas of these units easily.
------ For this reason it is important that you tell me which game you are using as there are units exclusive to each.
--- Only two pairs of boots are allowed per team, and they must be on separate units (please declare which units have boots when signing up)
------ If you're not sure which units you've used boots on, Boots increase movement so if the movement of your character is higher than its base Mov stat (sourced online), that would count.
--- Duplicate classes (i.e. 2 ninjas, etc.) are allowed, as well as any legal combination of skills a unit has access to. However, only 3 units can share the same skill (so your whole team can't have Counter, for instance).
--- That being said, some skills have restrictions.
------ Lethality, despite its low hit-rate, is banned.
------ Warp is banned. Witches get out.
------ Replicate is restricted to one unit of the Mechanist class only (might change this to allow any class if people want it).
------ Galeforce is restricted to one unit of the Dark Falcon only (again, this is subject to change).
------ Only one Hoshidan Trust or Nohrian Trust skill can be used, it must be on Corrin and Corrin cannot have Replicate.
------ One Breaker (e.g. Lancebreaker, Tomebreaker, etc.) ability per unit.
------ Using illegitimate skill combos or enemy-exclusive skills on any unit will result in the player being disqualified.
--- I might consider banning DLC units (Dread Fighter, Witch, Ballistician, Dark Falcon) altogether since afaik not all of them are available to PAL regions yet. Anna also, since that DLC is not out yet either. I want unity and fairness to be a priority in a game where unity and fairness is non-existent lol.

whoa slo w down ther ebuddy?
nothing stops this train

THIS THREAD EXISTS TO GAUGE WHETHER IT WOULD BE WORTH SETTING UP A TIME FRAME/TOKEN DISTRIBUTION FOR A FATES TOURNAMENT USING THE RULES GIVEN ABOVE. (give or take)
please post here if you would like this to exist otherwise I will discard this thread, be slapped with Bölverk and sent to my room

anton gave me permission to post an interest thread btw so this should be alright, i hope

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
...why did you click on this thread?

to check if anyone's interested yet (i dont have the game sorry bro)

Broly

• Handicap? Is that another word for "coffin"?
  • Shine Sprite
  • aregularforumuser
  • Broly: Screaming
    • View Profile
interested, but isnt it region locked?

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
  • "Stuff it, sponge brain!"
    • View Profile
Interested, though the boots rule is a problem as I always just dump my boots on lords and dancers so Corrin and Azura probably have all of them split among each other, so because of thr rule I can't use them.

Also Dread Fighters shouldn't be an issue because if they're anything like the NA version, you can get them right away if you have Birthright and Conquest. Dark Fliers should be available when Rev comes out but I'm not sure when that is.

Weasel

• All that and a bag of cool beans.
  • Global Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • MST3K
    • View Profile
but i have a really sweet witch elise

can i still use her if i remove warp?

also interested, obviously

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
    • View Profile
interested, but isnt it region locked?
i know that is the case for NA/JP servers but i'm not sure about NA/EU

If it is then im afraid this tourney probably wont be able to happen due to the lack of people from both regions

has anyone from NA here exchanged 3DS friend codes with someone from Europe and would be willing to check? Just need to make sure that Extras ->  Internet Battle -> Friendly Battle works then we can focus on rules. If it doesnt work then we likely dont have a tourney at all D:

Interested, though the boots rule is a problem as I always just dump my boots on lords and dancers so Corrin and Azura probably have all of them split among each other, so because of thr rule I can't use them.

Also Dread Fighters shouldn't be an issue because if they're anything like the NA version, you can get them right away if you have Birthright and Conquest. Dark Fliers should be available when Rev comes out but I'm not sure when that is.
Yeah in your case I think you might not be able to use Corrin or Azura unless you have a save file that has them without that sorry

Also yeah Dread Fighters shouldnt be an issue.

but i have a really sweet witch elise

can i still use her if i remove warp?

also interested, obviously
Yup under the preliminary rules Ive given above  you'd just need to remove warp and swap it for another skill if needed

Just bear in mind the restrictions above and anything goes i guess. I did put a limit on the number of units that can share a particular skill (3 max) because yall probably dont want to face a team full of counters/other nonsense

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
  • "Stuff it, sponge brain!"
    • View Profile
It kind of seems unfair though to prevent me from using a dancer, the most useful unit in the game by far, and a huge part of strategy just because she has slightly more movement. I guess I can try to go without her though.

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Fates Tournament - gauging interest (post here if want)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 10:51:59 PM »
I understand entirely but I really don't want occasions where a match is decided entirely by the opponent having an extra space of movement for one of their best units

I believe there are 3 pairs of boots you can get in total in one save file, so I can change it to accomodate whether you've got one unit with 3 boots, two units with 2/1 boots, or three units with 1 boots each.

sadly I don't think this will matter anyway because regardless of whether I can find the answer online or not,
a) My Castles are used as Maps in the battle mode and
b) I've confirmed you can't visit NA/EU My Castles with EU/NA games, so I'm going to assume that if the compatibility isn't there for visiting My Castles directly, it isn't there for battling, ergo, you can't battle with international players on your friend list.

which really *bleep*ing sucks tbh because we can't afford to split the userbase further and its unfair if we can only host a tournament for one region

however, if we were able to get an even number of sign ups (probably 6 or 8 people) for each region then the possibility MIGHT be there.

IF YOU HAVE FATES AND ARE INTERESTED IN PLAYING A FATES TOURNEY THEN PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD THANK YOU