Author Topic: Packy and Dippy's Pokémon Tournament 2016 (Generation VI)  (Read 19408 times)

Ralsei

• Wizard and prince(ss?)
  • Dry Bowser
  • JohnRoberts
  • Fluffy boi
    • View Profile
Re: Packy and Dippy's Pokémon Tournament 2016 (Generation VI)
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
I'll be having my match today at 11 to noon

Captain America

• Steve Rogers
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Avengers Assemble
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »
I am try to get my match in tomorrow. Today's my birthday and school starts two days from now, so tomorrow will work best.

Timmy

• King Bowser
  • yoshi123
  • ~Yo-YO, let's GO! PSI Prodigy!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »
I'm supposed to be battling Raregold at 3 PM EST

Nyrie

• Power Star
  • Nysic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2016, 11:18:54 AM »
i can do my match tomorrow at the earliest

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2016, 12:29:17 PM »
have been busy this weekend and will be able to do them later today or tomorrow

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm always at work, today 1pm-10:30pm then 9am-9pm tomorrow which will hopefully get changed to 5pm.  Turb idk if you did your Showdown stuff but: reminder :bowser:

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »
The net i have until wednesday is not very good and would not be able to support a match (and i dont think i can even connect my 3ds to it). If I become the only match holding this up, I'll just forfeit

Timmy

• King Bowser
  • yoshi123
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »
I won 2-0 vs Raregold, GGs!

It did end up being quite a stallfest tho lol

Ralsei

• Wizard and prince(ss?)
  • Dry Bowser
  • JohnRoberts
  • Fluffy boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »
I beat DragonFreak 2-0, both with half of my team remaining. I'll send all my battle codes later as long as I don't forget if you would like, Dippy

Crocodile Dippy

• Toxic Shock Syndrome
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Pokemon DP
  • God I'm good at being an owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2016, 11:56:54 PM »
The net i have until wednesday is not very good and would not be able to support a match (and i dont think i can even connect my 3ds to it). If I become the only match holding this up, I'll just forfeit
if Anton is OK with it, I can end the tournament formally at the end of this week to allow everyone a chance to actually play their final rounds. Would you be able to get your match done by then?
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »
Yeah, I can do that. Wednesday night and on I'll have a proper connection that'll let me play this round.

Nyrie

• Power Star
  • Nysic
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »
i beat blocky 2-0

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2016, 01:01:42 AM »
won vs. turb 2-0 ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggs

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »
I won 2-0 vs. GalacticPetey. GGs.

Stooben

• Stobin
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Stooben Rooben
    • View Profile
    • The Xephyr Board
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2016, 01:07:41 AM »
I won versus GBAtoad, 2-0. Tight matches, very scary at points, I can finally faint now.

GGs, thank you for playing, based Toad. :luma:
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2016, 01:11:24 AM »
god the rng hated me in those matches

head smash and leaf storm?

more like
miss smash
leaf miss
head miss
miss storm
miss miss
miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss

i loved every part of our battles though so i'm glad we finally got them done~
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:13:05 AM by Phi »

Crocodile Dippy

• Toxic Shock Syndrome
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Pokemon DP
  • God I'm good at being an owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2016, 02:02:05 AM »
and sooooooo, the tournament has come to a close! Winning as the supreme overlord is Timmy, followed by Cirdec in second place, and Hooded Pitohui in third! It was a wild ride in this tournament, but y'all played spectacularly and I hope you had fun in this adventure of a lifetime.

NOW time to open the floor to general thoughts on this year's tournament, and suggestions anyone might have for ways to improve next year's tournament. The most important question is if it should be Generation 7 next year, or if we should stay in Generation 6 to accommodate people who weren't able to upgrade.
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2016, 02:33:26 AM »
and sooooooo, the tournament has come to a close! Winning as the supreme overlord is Timmy, followed by Cirdec in second place, and Hooded Pitohui in third! It was a wild ride in this tournament, but y'all played spectacularly and I hope you had fun in this adventure of a lifetime.

NOW time to open the floor to general thoughts on this year's tournament, and suggestions anyone might have for ways to improve next year's tournament. The most important question is if it should be Generation 7 next year, or if we should stay in Generation 6 to accommodate people who weren't able to upgrade.
this tournament was even better than the last and i had so much fun battling everyone and the issues i had with mechanics were addressed (no greninjobbers, speed birds, smogonswords, etc., evasion and swagger were banned completely, etc.) which is great. that being said i could accept a blanket 'no confusion' clause going forward but tbh that seems like overkill

in regards to next year, i'm looking forward to moving on to generation 7 with pokemon sun and moon looking to shake up pokemon battling even more than gen 6 did, plus the games will have been out for at least 6+ months come next year's pokemon tournament, so i see no reason why we shouldn't move on to gen 7 then, but if there's enough demand for another gen 6 side tournament then all the better. i'd probably advocate for the gen 7 tourney to adhere to the formula of this one more and maybe make gen 6's more gimmicky (i.e. allow megas) though. no doubles was fine this year, but i wouldn't mind hosting a gen 7 doubles next year if that was doable and there's enough demand.

lastly i'd like to thank everyone i had the pleasure of battling and a huge thanks to you and packy for making this year's tourney so much fun! thanks~ :ashley:

Doof

• I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • DragonFreak
  • Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
This tournament was definitely more fun than last year, mostly because there was more battling.

GGs to everyone you were all a joy to battle against!
in regards to next year, i'm looking forward to moving on to generation 7 with pokemon sun and moon looking to shake up pokemon battling even more than gen 6 did, plus the games will have been out for at least 6+ months come next year's pokemon tournament, so i see no reason why we shouldn't move on to gen 7 then, but if there's enough demand for another gen 6 side tournament then all the better. i'd probably advocate for the gen 7 tourney to adhere to the formula of this one more and maybe make gen 6's more gimmicky (i.e. allow megas) though. no doubles was fine this year, but i wouldn't mind hosting a gen 7 doubles next year if that was doable and there's enough demand.
I don't see we shouldn't go to gen 7 unless not many people have S&M (although the game would be out for about 3/4 of a year by then). 

Also maybe allow the Z moves, because IIRC the main reason we put a blanket ban on the Mega Evolutions is because of compatibility issues with AS/OR, which the Z moves won't have.

Also I would support Double Tournament (or Triples, or Rotation if that comes back, or Battle Royal!)

Timmy

• King Bowser
  • yoshi123
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2016, 01:21:45 PM »
Aside from me losing Game 1 to SMG2Daisy cause of Evasion, I had a blast this tourney.

Also my team (I'm not really gonna go into too much detail)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had a super defensive team for the most part (I wanted to avoid going the "Smogon cop out" with Skarmory and put Acrobatics lol but he actually can't learn it and I felt he was actuallly a good fit to do what I wanted with the hazards). Funny thing, half my team is weak to Bug (Umbreon, Tangrowth, Slowking), the other half resists it lol
That being said my patience was definitely tested but did pay off. Nidoking was my MVP for being the one to sweep, and my defensive MVP was... Umbreon cause I can just think "oh I don't care" lol. Skarmory's hazards were key as well.

One thing I DO want to address to others however (and I'm really not trying to come off as a jerk or start drama), and honestly it IS behind the hosts' control - If you're gonna have someone else build your whole team (or the majority of it), PLEASE don't enter. I found out Cirdec built SMG2Daisy's team... And I have to say it wasn't pleasing to find that out. There's a difference between making suggestions or pointing things out ("oh hey maybe X Pokemon can do this for you" or "you have half your team weak to Bug maybe you swap out someone") and then outright having someone do your team for you.

Yes, I can understand breeding is a tedious process and we don't all have the time to ride the bike around and spam the hatching O-Powers; but if you end up winning with a team that you yourself didn't take the time to create or put some thought process into teambuilding, why enter in the first place? It doesn't feel like a victory that was earned by you. Not only that, you are at a severe disadvantage should you face the one who created your team in the first place b/c there is NO element of surprise. I basically felt like I was playing Cirdec 2.0.
(Before anyone asks me, yes it's still the Umbreon I used from last year and I had forever ago, everything else I did breed myself lol)

Do I have an issue with people playing to win? Not at all. But as the hosts said, this isn't some World Championship tourneys, it's the Mariowiki Awards and we're all trying to have fun. Yes, I do want to optimize my team and try to win (hence I do breed), but my main goal is ALWAYS to have fun. I think most people did enjoy playing vs my team as well!

TBH the highlight I had was probs vs Anton (we did this on Showdown cause his 3DS couldn't connect but we did our best to replicate the exact same teams in our hard copy - even if his were off by a few points I wouldn't have an issue)

Game 1
Game 2

I was on the floor after Game 2 lol, the hax were hilarious
(And I just named my Umbreon Tsukoyumi in Showdown cause what I wanted to name it :p)

I also DO have the replays for most of my sets (bar SMG2Daisy cause of a random d/c), I can get the codes uploaded for you guys to see! I do however believe there's a limit of 10 replays that can be uploaded?

Regarding moving onto Gen 7 - I think it'd be a great idea (also most won't have to worry about IVs and being at a disadvantage if there's a good grinding spot cause you can boost IVs at level 100)!