Steam question

Nathan Fielder

Business Expert
Chat Operator
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
So my friend logged into his Steam account on my laptop and downloaded two games and on my own account they're still showing up.

Is this normal?

no

enjoy your free games i guess

(how were you even able to log into his account on your pc when you already had steam installed with your account? thats not supposed to be possible iirc)

Midna said:
(how were you even able to log into his account on your pc when you already had steam installed with your account? thats not supposed to be possible iirc)
I'm pretty sure that the Steam application(referring to the computer one. not sure if application is the correct word it's called) shows you a login "screen" after it(Steam) loads after you boot up your computer. Like so:
lrGOvMt.png

You can just put whatever valid Account name and Password and I'm sure it'll accept it so you can use the Steam application with whatever account it pleases you. There's even an option to Change user(or just Logout) within the application itself.

I had the same question a while back, Fanta has provided a response for this

Asgore said:
Baby Luigi said:
My twin has Spelunky and Metal Slug in her account and I'm wondering if I can play those games with my account, considering that they are installed in this computer and that it also shows up in my library of games under my account.
If you set up Family View you can play them from your account (as long as she isn't trying to play them at the same time). I've got it set up so that I can play the games I received with my work account in my usual account (I'm part of my Family, right?).

LN1 said:
Midna said:
I'm pretty sure that the Steam application(referring to the computer one. not sure if application is the correct word it's called) shows you a login "screen" after it(Steam) loads after you boot up your computer. Like so:
lrGOvMt.png

You can just put whatever valid Account name and Password and I'm sure it'll accept it so you can use the Steam application with whatever account it pleases you. There's even an option to Change user(or just Logout) within the application itself.

I only ever get that window once when I install Steam so I've assumed you can't change your account until you've completely uninstalled Steam

huh

Baby Luigi said:
Asgore said:
If you set up Family View you can play them from your account (as long as she isn't trying to play them at the same time). I've got it set up so that I can play the games I received with my work account in my usual account (I'm part of my Family, right?).

we didn't set up family view, though. they were downloaded onto my computer from his account and now they turn up on my account.

I didn't set it up either. They'll show up, but you probably need to enable that to play those games from your account.

Back