Author Topic: Tournaments  (Read 6868 times)

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »
Welp I would like to host Pokémon tournament as well this year.
If I do I am planning, to ban all legendaries and to allow all megas except overpowered ones like Mega Kangaskhan.
Kangaskhan and Gengar are the only ones I can think of that are super busted. Maybe Lucario.

Salamence, Blaziken and Mawile, those are broken as well.

Gilgamesh

• Gate of Babylon
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »
Honestly didnt mind the blanket Mega ban we had last year tbh, it made compatibility a non-issue and the event was still fun. For starters, the ones from ORAS cant be used to battle people from X and Y and even then you want to further restrict that list by banning up to six more of them. Why bother with that nonsense in the first place

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
^ That was my train of thought for wanting to ban them last year. I also didn't care for the boost it gave just a handful of Pokemon that could ultimately be the deciding factor in a battle. I'd much rather have a great, regular 6v6 battle with six legitimate Pokemon than including a Pokemon that has an unnecessary gimmicky edge to it, if that makes sense. I just don't find much reason to include Mega Evolutions - particularly a very small amount of them.

GalacticPetey

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 06:46:41 PM »
Eh. It just feels weird to ban something like Mega Audino but allow Pokemon like Garchomp and Salamence to run wild who are much stronger and more OP. Same goes for banning things like Phione who doesn't pose a serious threat to anyone.

Gilgamesh

• Gate of Babylon
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Mega Audino
no but see the point i was trying to make is that because you can't use any of the Megas from ORAS to battle players who are using XY, you've already removed 16 of them (20 counting legendaries), and then you want to remove five more, leaving only 22 Megas to choose from, which is less than half of them. Because Megas are such a gimmick, it would then be ludicrous not to use one of those 22 Megas on your team and since you've arbitrarily decided which ones are too powerful and must be banned, most people will likely flock to whichever remaining Megas are the most viable anyway which is probably less than a quarter of those that are left. Then you have team-building around that mega and etc. All this will do is lead to more homogeneity, and we don't need that to become a bigger issue that what it already is with the amount of people copy-pasting smogon sets here.

Unless you really REALLY like a certain mega and it happens to fall under the 22/48 megas we could possibly use for this tournament, there is simply no point in including them since we've already trimmed down the list so much. it's not about power levels, it's about functionality and as it stands Megas simply wouldn't be functional in this tournament. This was already discussed at length last year and most people were cool with it.

as for garchomp and friends, this is all for fun anyway, so if you get your kicks out of using OP mons to destroy people who just wanna have fun with a team of their favourites instead then you're perfectly in your limits to do so but i get the feeling that most people probably won't like you very much afterward.

lastly, trying to defend the inclusion of phione is hilarious because seriously if it were unbanned would you even use it? the game does it and no one honestly cares lol

What Cirdec is proposing is no legendaries and a few megas and I'd personally advocate for no legendaries/no megas like last year instead for the reasons above.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
(...) All this will do is lead to more homogeneity, and we don't need that to become a bigger issue that what it already is with the amount of people copy-pasting smogon sets here.

(...)

as for garchomp and friends, this is all for fun anyway, so if you get your kicks out of using OP mons to destroy people who just wanna have fun with a team of their favourites instead then you're perfectly in your limits to do so but i get the feeling that most people probably won't like you very much afterward.

GalacticPetey

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
I get what you're saying. It probably is for the best. I just want to avoid the "casual elitism" that seems to run rampant in the Pokemon community. Smash has this problem too where people seem to get offended that competitve players don't play in accordance to their beliefs on how the game should be played. So what if a guy runs a Mega Blaziken? Why shouldn't he if he has the intention to win? You want to use your favorites? Go right ahead. But don't complain when you lose to objectively superior Pokemon.

This is probably all null and void. This tournament is just for fun. Heck, I don't even play competitve but I get annoyed when competitve players get *bleep* on for playing the way they like.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 08:23:25 PM »
I get that, too, it's just that in a small tournament like this it's kinda ehhhhhhh when a copy/paste VGC team wins everything because it encourages everyone else to do the same as it's now the only viable way to get past Round 1 or 2.  I'm sure there's only a limited number of times left that I can say this before someone reports me for spam but this is why Swiss is best for this, because the best will rise to the top and face off against each other, while the casual players are all playing against each other.  No one's eliminated, everyone has fun and faces opponents that are matches in strength, elite players will be challenged, casual players won't feel sour, people who are grinding to win the tournament will still get their 1st place and more tokens.

#balance

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 03:30:53 PM »
Mega Audino
no but see the point i was trying to make is that because you can't use any of the Megas from ORAS to battle players who are using XY, you've already removed 16 of them (20 counting legendaries), and then you want to remove five more, leaving only 22 Megas to choose from, which is less than half of them. Because Megas are such a gimmick, it would then be ludicrous not to use one of those 22 Megas on your team and since you've arbitrarily decided which ones are too powerful and must be banned, most people will likely flock to whichever remaining Megas are the most viable anyway which is probably less than a quarter of those that are left. Then you have team-building around that mega and etc. All this will do is lead to more homogeneity, and we don't need that to become a bigger issue that what it already is with the amount of people copy-pasting smogon sets here.

Unless you really REALLY like a certain mega and it happens to fall under the 22/48 megas we could possibly use for this tournament, there is simply no point in including them since we've already trimmed down the list so much. it's not about power levels, it's about functionality and as it stands Megas simply wouldn't be functional in this tournament. This was already discussed at length last year and most people were cool with it.

lastly, trying to defend the inclusion of phione is hilarious because seriously if it were unbanned would you even use it? the game does it and no one honestly cares lol

What Cirdec is proposing is no legendaries and a few megas and I'd personally advocate for no legendaries/no megas like last year instead for the reasons above.

While I agree megas are centralizing, I want to allow them to have something different from last year. Also yeah I am going to use Swiss style.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »
Reminder to any host to not sit and dawdle around; start coming up with ideas for your tournaments.  If you're a new host requesting to fill one of the empty slots, please don't assume that it's just going to be handed to you; we'd appreciate seeing some sort of plan to know that it will be handled well.

Javelin

• Level 5 Ranger
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Javelin
  • Nathan Latsk
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia Page
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 01:10:59 PM »
Welp I would like to host Pokémon tournament as well this year.
If I do I am planning, to ban all legendaries and to allow all megas except overpowered ones like Mega Kangaskhan.
Kangaskhan and Gengar are the only ones I can think of that are super busted. Maybe Lucario.

Salamence, Blaziken and Mawile, those are broken as well.
Mega Blaziken is hilariously broken, lol.

If you guys are going to talk about banning stuff you could save yourselves some time and energy and just use Smogon's ban lists. If you don't I guarantee you someone is going to just pick the most powerful 'mon as analyzed by that community and shred everyone with them.

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
Reminder to any host to not sit and dawdle around; start coming up with ideas for your tournaments.  If you're a new host requesting to fill one of the empty slots, please don't assume that it's just going to be handed to you; we'd appreciate seeing some sort of plan to know that it will be handled well.

oh uh yeah ill get to this before friday

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 06:43:02 PM »
Because time and effort, I won't be doing Awesomenauts this year unless a bunch of people suddenly really want to do it

Meta Knight

• Scourge of Darkness
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Victory is my destiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »
How many people would be interested in participating in a tournament for Pokken? I would love to host and I will send my ideas to the Awards Directors, but I'm not actually sure if there's enough people that have it to warrant a tournament.

Please let you know if you'd like to so I can work on the details

Doof

• I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • DragonFreak
  • Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 08:22:01 PM »
Because time and effort, I won't be doing Awesomenauts this year unless a bunch of people suddenly really want to do it
:( sad

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2016, 06:10:28 AM »

oh uh yeah ill get to this before friday

ffffffffffffffffffffff

The Pyro Guy

• Poll Committee Chairperson
  • Poll Committee
  • King Bowser
  • "no"
    • View Profile
    • watch my terrible videos
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »
How many people would be interested in playing a Splatoon tournament? I'd really like to know so I can decide whether to host one this year or not.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 12:30:02 AM »
btw a thing we've decided at the end of last AC meeting (if you wanna check logs for complete context) is that if there's a game tournament with multiple people wanting to host it, in order for some people to not feel scorned as well as for this community to get the best of what's to offer, we will allow every party to post up their prospective tournament and sign-ups and then see which one pans out more to give the go-ahead to proceed

Stargazing

• Astronomer, Astrologer
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 08:10:07 AM »
i need to finish up the mario kart 7 tournament and get out the thread for signups

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 02:36:42 AM »
If GBA and Nyrie aren't keen on Super Mario Maker then I could take over. Should be able to get some of my work mates to help with judging as well.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

<< Watch Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee Nuzlocke Stream >>
Ask Me Stuff