Game coverage: Barcode Battler II

Borp

Lakitu
This is actually a re-post of a thread I made on the only Barcode Battler fan site in our universe. I got one of my Japanese-speaking friends to translate the six-page instruction manual to the Super Mario World game for the Barcode Battler II. It's a little underwhelming but at least clarification'll be nice for the wiki to have. Unfortunately I've yet to get him to translate the text on the back of the cards, so that'll have to wait.

M1.jpg

Page 1
Oh, no?!
Princess Peach has been kidnapped by the 'Daimaō Koopa'!
The 'Daimaō Koopa' and his underlings have taken up home in the mysterious island kingdom of Dinosaur Land.
Mario and Luigi join forces with a powerful ally named Yoshi to return peace to Dinosaur Land, setting off on a new adventure.
Will they be able to make their way through the many fierce foes, and save Princess Peach, who has been locked up in 'Daimaō Koopa's Valley'?!
An adventure full of mystery begins...

Page 2
Barcode Battler II Card Software
How to play C2 Mode
1. Select and set the console into C2 mode.
2. Pick one Warrior and one Wizard out of the three Hero cards, and insert them!
Mario and Luigi = Warrior Cards
Yoshi = Wizard Card
3. Now you're ready to play!

* For detailed instructions, read the Instruction Manual that comes with the Barcode Battler II! (You do not need to enter an initial passcode.)

Which enemy do you attack first? Who should you use your items on?
The mysteries contained within each card make the difference between winning and losing!
Can you defeat the final enemy...?!

M2.jpg

Page 3
How to Play Dice Mode
Introduction
Players: 1-2 Necessary items: 1 die
This game pits Mario and Luigi against various enemies using dice, as they attempt to complete four worlds.
* Note: There are no dice included with this product.

Preparations
* Separate the 30 cards into Items and Enemies. (Diagram 1)
* Lay out the cards for World 1, and place the remaining cards face down. (Diagram 2)

How to Play (2 players)
* Decide which player will be Mario and which will be Luigi using rock-paper-scissors. Mario goes first.
* Choose an enemy in the first row of Enemy Cards to challenge, and move the Mario Card to the Enemy Card.
* Roll the dice, and add the result to the Dice Mode Number on the right side of the Enemy Card. The result is the enemy's Clear Points! (Diagram 3)

Diagram 1
[Koopa Card] [Mario Card] [Luigi Card]
[17 Enemy Cards] [10 Item Cards]
* 'Yoshi' is an Item Card!

Page 4
* Roll the dice again. The result is Mario's Clear Points! (If Mario is holding an item, add the Dice Mode Value on the Item Card as well.) You can only use one item at a time!
* Compare the two cards' Clear Point totals, and if Mario has more Clear Points, you succeed in defeating the enemy! (You are also successful if the totals are drawn)
* If you successfully defeated the enemy, flip it over, and proceed to the Item Cards ahead! You can take one of the items. Remember the Points Value listed on the back of the defeated Enemy Card! (Diagram 3)
* Continue ahead to the Enemy Cards in the 2nd row (either left or right), and roll the dice as before.
* If you defeat the enemy in the 2nd row, you have completed World 1! Gather up the cards of World 1, and lay out new cards from the face-down pile. It's time to start World 2! Keep going through World 3 and The Final World until you fail.

Diagram 2
How to lay out Worlds 1, 2 and 3
[Enemy Card] [Enemy Card] <- 2nd row of enemies
[Enemy Card Deck]
[Item Card] [Item Card] [Item Card]
[Item Card Deck]
[Enemy Card] [Enemy Card] <- 1st row of enemies
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start

M3.jpg

Page 5
* If Mario fails to defeat an enemy, set the world's cards back up to how they started (The enemies that were turned over and items that were obtained), and it is now Luigi's turn. Luigi starts from the 1st row of enemies in the current World!
* If a player fails three times, it's Game Over for them!
* If you manage to defeat the enemies of The Final World (first and second rows) without getting a Game Over, you can fight the final enemy, 'Koopa'. If you fail against Koopa, return to the first row of the Final World, and the other player takes over. (Diagram 4)

Winning the Game
* The player who defeats 'Koopa' wins.
* If both players get Game Over, then the winner is decided by comparing the points of the Enemy Cards (The Dice Mode Values on the back) the players have defeated. (Diagram 3)

Diagram 3
Enemy Card Front
KAMEK
+1

^Add this value to the dice roll

Enemy Card Back
^ The Point Value of this Enemy Card

Diagram 4
How to lay out the Final World
[Koopa Card]
[Enemy Card] [Enemy Card] [Enemy Card]
<- Pick one of the three to defeat.
[Item Card]
[Enemy Card] [Enemy Card]
-------------------------------------------------
Final World Start

Page 6
(For 1 Player)
* Choose between Mario and Luigi, and play the game as described in the 2-player rules. If you defeat Koopa without failing three times, you win.

Special Item Cards
Super Star: You can defeat an enemy in the next row without rolling the dice. (One-Use)
Note: You cannot defeat all enemies with this effect!
Body Press: You can use this card together with the Cape Feather Card. (1 + 1 = +2!)
Note: This card has no effect by itself.
Another Go: Your next failure doesn't count. Roll the dice again instead of swapping with the other player. (One-Use)

I believe there's also a set of Super Mario Kart cards + rules as well, but I'd have to do a little more poking around before I get to covering that.

Your obscure Japan-only content continues to be awesome, thanks so much!

Looking at our wiki's blurry photo of the cards (http://www.mariowiki.com/images/8/88/Super_Mario_World_Barcode_Battler_Cards.PNG), the only Japanese text that's legible is just their names; they match the romanized names on each card (with slight differences like "meka kuppa" vs. "mecha koopa"), and are consistent with the SMW Japanese names we have for all the enemies afaik. I can't read most of the blue names, however: bit too blurry.

Oooh, awesome. I'd definitely like to upload those onto the wiki too.

Can't help with the massive amount of text on the backs, but the front names are all the same (interestingly, the Body Press one is the same as Body Slam (Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story)), except the Green shell, since it's just "Nokonoko no Koura" (Koopa shell), and the romanizations are often quirky.

In the little white boxes, Mario and Luigi are "1/2 player" respectively. Yoshi, Mushroom, 1-Up, Fire Flower and Feather are all the "Another Go" cards (and the latter two are +1 clear points too), the Star makes you invincible. Koopa Shell is +2 clear points; I can't quite make out the first kanji or the furigana, but the second one is "sute(ru)" - "to throw away", and the back only says it can only be used once, so maybe it's just a "discard after use" note.

Back