Infoboxes

Walkazo

Thou liest!
Wiki Bureaucrat
Due to the recently-passed proposals (MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_44#Redesign_RPG_infoboxes_and_bestiaries) all the existing RPG infoboxes have been redesigned, and one template's been created (Template:Pm2enemybox). Most infoboxes require inputs to be updated, changed and/or removed, and any infoboxes in stats sections need to be switched to the horizontal form (using "|align=horizontal"). Also, infoboxes buried in history sections should be moved to "Official profiles and statistics" sections; if there isn't a stats section yet, make one. If an RPG infobox is the article's overall infobox, at the top right corner, then that's fine, but anywhere else is just clutter.

The same proposal also approved the redesign of bestiaries, but I've left the prepared PM draft for Megadardery to implement himself, as he did most of that work. IMO, updating the infoboxes is higher priority than the bestiaries, since the bestiaries are functional in the meantime, whereas many infoboxes are conspicuously outdated now, and so, community effort should be on updating them anyway. Anyone who wants to help with the rollout of the infoboxes, feel free to do as much as you want.

Below is a list of all the things that need to be changed for each template (besides the alignment stuff). The template pages themselves include lists of the inputs, explanations (very important), and links to the bestiaries, charts and/or external links where all the required to-be-added stats can be found. Template:Spmenemybox requires no input changes, not does Template:Pjenemy, although the latter needs to be added to the wiki (and the few pages that have it already only have partial stats). Completely full/updated sets of values for Template:Pmenemybox can just be copied from Megadardery's bestiary draft (User_talk:Megadardery/Sandbox#Enemy_Stats_chart) - just switch "User:Megadardery/Sandbox" to "Pmenemybox", remove the colour-coded names (just plain names for pages with identifiers) and add the align variable, and everything else should be there already. As for the rest:

Template:Pm2enemybox - This infobox needs to replace all "pmenemybox"es with "|PM=yes": this should be one of the highest priorities, as the now-outdated infoboxes currently mislabel every set of TTYD stats as "PM". The "PM=" variable itself needs to be removed, and the following need to be added, although they're already found on User_talk:Megadardery/Sandbox2, so just cut and paste them from there.
|coins=
|lvl=
|exp=
|sleep=
|stop=
|dizzy=
|confuse=
|burn=
|freeze=
|tiny=
|soft=
|fright=
|gale=
|ko=

Template:Pmssenemy - "sticker=" needs to be added.

Template:MLinfobox - "item=" and "item2=" need to be combined and replaced by "items=". Also, make sure stats that need to be greyed out are done so using the format {{color|STAT|grey/gray}}, rather than <font> formatting making them silver (which doesn't show up well against the new background colours).

Template:Pitenemy - "defense=" and "experience=" need to be switched to "def=" and "exp=". "related=", "title=" and "notice=" need to be removed; the latter involved references, so keep an eye out for now-blank reference sections on the articles that now need to be removed too. Also remove superfluous image captions.

Template:Bisenemy - "defense=" and "experience=" need to be switched to "def=" and "exp=". "gear=" needs to be incorporated into "items=". "related=" needs to be removed. The following need to be added:
|fire=
|burn=
|dizzy=
|statdown=
|ko=
|lvl=

Template:Dtenemy - "defense=", "experience=" and "level=" need to be switched to "def=", "exp=" and "lvl=". "geardrop=" and "raredrop=" need to combined and turned into "items="; "coindrop=" needs to be incorporated into "coins=". "related=" needs to be removed. "weak=" and "nohitter=" need to be added.

Template:Smrpgenemy‎ - Nothing needs to be added. "fodds=" and "sucrate=" need to be incorporated into "flower=" and "cookie=", respectively. "related=" needs to be removed. The following inputs need to be changed:
attack --> atk
defense --> def
mgattack --> matk
mgdefense --> mdef
attacks --> moves
itemdropped --> items
coinsdropped --> coins
strengths --> strong
weaknesses --> weak
expgained --> exp

Any good resource to fill in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door information? Because MarioWiki's own bestiary disappointed me, and I'm not sure if GameFAQs is going to deliver; I've already looked through the enemy FAQ.

By the way, I've already done major changes to Chain Chomp, Blooper, Crazee Dayzee, Wiggler, Lava Piranha, Spiny, and Red Chomp, and the lack of Thousand-Year Door stuff is really bothering me, lol.

The infobox's page links to this chart, which has all the extra TTYD stats (File:Pm2enemystats.png). Except item drop rates, anyway, which are on GameFAQs, here (also linked to on the infobox's page), but leave them out of the infobox because it would be way too much trouble and clutter with all that in there. Also, for the chart, just ignore the "Ex%" column for the coins, since again, too much clutter and wonky math to be worth the trouble: just put the range of coins in the form "minimum - maximum".

Yeah, good luck! Don't let MarioWiki get in the way of real life! Looking through the bestiaries to find specific information is frequently a pain, and, while the chart Walkazo provided definitely helps, it's tricky to navigate. Which is why I really dislike that kind of formatting. I think our new format's gonna change this though, but I need to keep this mind whenever people design tables to be so reader unfriendly (like in Mario Kart stats). Ugh.

Also, just a note that the opening post has been updated to reflect a couple things:

* Template:Pjenemy has been redesigned and all three pages that used it are updated, save for missing stats that I couldn't provide anyway. Getting this one up is lower priority than fixing the current ones anyway.

* All the templates use "lvl" for level inputs, following the precedent set by the M&L:SS infobox, but which I kept forgetting to make consistent in the drafts (I fixed the articles you listed above, rather than forcing you to have to go and alter them - lookin' good, btw).

* the M&L:SS infoboxes need to be converted from using messy, bad, too-light <font color=silver>STATS</font> formatting to {{color|STATS|grey/gray}} (both spellings work).

Dr. Mario said:
Yeah, good luck! Don't let MarioWiki get in the way of real life! Looking through the bestiaries to find specific information is frequently a pain, and, while the chart Walkazo provided definitely helps, it's tricky to navigate. Which is why I really dislike that kind of formatting. I think our new format's gonna change this though, but I need to keep this mind whenever people design tables to be so reader unfriendly (like in Mario Kart stats). Ugh.
Did you really think I had that much of attention span to get the data from this thing? (File:Pm2enemystats.png) The creator of the chart kindly put them in an Excel spreadsheet as well. Which I put in an app to create the parameters. If the chart also had all the other stats (Location(s), tattle, log, etc.) I would have probably finished the bestiary the same way I did to the pm bestiary. I'm going to do the bestiary after all the pmttyd infoboxes have been updated. That way, it is just a matter of copy and paste.... or... give me a few minutes because I have an idea...

Walkazo said:
Also, just a note that the opening post has been updated to reflect a couple things:

* Template:Pjenemy has been redesigned and all three pages that used it are updated, save for missing stats that I couldn't provide anyway. Getting this one up is lower priority than fixing the current ones anyway.

* All the templates use "lvl" for level inputs, following the precedent set by the M&L:SS infobox, but which I kept forgetting to make consistent in the drafts (I fixed the articles you listed above, rather than forcing you to have to go and alter them - lookin' good, btw).

* the M&L:SS infoboxes need to be converted from using messy, bad, too-light <font color=silver>STATS</font> formatting to {{color|STATS|grey/gray}} (both spellings work).
Should the MLinfoboxes use a more consistent naming? The first one looks fine, but it's inconsistent with the rest (MLinfobox compared to pitenemy, bisenemy, dtenemy, and most likely pjenemy).

Thanks for that, I thought it was oversight on my part. I also had to fix the "#" part at one point thanks to trial and error, so just letting you know that.

Shaggy said:
Dr. Mario said:
Did you really think I had that much of attention span to get the data from this thing? (File:Pm2enemystats.png) The creator of the chart kindly put them in an Excel spreadsheet as well. Which I put in an app to create the parameters. If the chart also had all the other stats (Location(s), tattle, log, etc.) I would have probably finished the bestiary the same way I did to the pm bestiary. I'm going to do the bestiary after all the pmttyd infoboxes have been updated. That way, it is just a matter of copy and paste.... or... give me a few minutes because I have an idea...
But it's hard to navigate through because of the way the columns are set up. I had to use MS paint and copy/drag the top column down to view stats. But all in all, it's not a huge deal and I've already mentioned my work around. Just a slight inconvenience overall. But reading through the bestiary pages to copy/paste stats is more painful overall.

I've been thinking about that. I figure, yes, it should be changed to "ssenemybox", but that's a really simple blowthrough later, so I figured, why complicate our lives even further now when we have to worry about fixing inputs and filling gaps. Superfluous stuff like that can wait.

You mean the "|#" instead of "|#="typo in the legend? Yeah, I saw that fix, thanks, but all the infoboxes should've had that input already anyway, so it should've been no big D on the functional end of things.

Dr. Mario said:
Shaggy said:
Dr. Mario said:
But it's hard to navigate through because of the way the columns are set up. I had to use MS paint and copy/drag the top column down to view stats. But all in all, it's not a huge deal and I've already mentioned my work around. Just a slight inconvenience overall. But reading through the bestiary pages to copy/paste stats is more painful overall.
You did see Megadardery's text dump of the chart (User talk:Megadardery/Sandbox2) that he linked to a few posts back, right? You don't need to use the image version of the chart anymore, or any bestiary workaround - just copy and paste all the new inputs directly from there. (EDIT: I just added it to the intro post now, to make sure it's clearly visible.)

I'm wondering, should the pmenemybox be changed temporarily to backwards support the "|PM2=yes" switch? so it adds the log and changes it from Paper Mario Enemy to The Thousand-Year Door Enemy. This should fix the overall look and be a good substitute during the time it is being updated. It's hassle yes, but it's definitely better than having all our ttyd templates in an incorrect state.

Walkazo said:
You did see Megadardery's text dump of the chart (User talk:Megadardery/Sandbox2) that he linked to a few posts back, right? You don't need to use the image version of the chart anymore, or any bestiary workaround - just copy and paste all the new inputs directly from there. (EDIT: I just added it to the intro post now, to make sure it's clearly visible.)
No, I didn't. I overlooked it. Sorry for that.

Shaggy said:
I'm wondering, should the pmenemybox be changed temporarily to backwards support the "|PM2=yes" switch? so it adds the log and changes it from Paper Mario Enemy to The Thousand-Year Door Enemy. This should fix the overall look and be a good substitute during the time it is being updated. It's hassle yes, but it's definitely better than having all our ttyd templates in an incorrect state.
Part of me says yes just so we can completely replace the template as we see fit rather than deal with awkward templates, but I don't pay much attention on how they look right now for the time being, as I'm focused on removing poorly-placed vertical templates that look hideous.

Trying to get the template to work with a second switch function is gonna be way too much of a hassle. I finally have a day off tomorrow, and was already planning to use that to just do a blow-through of all the TTYD templates, so then it won't be a problem anymore.

I've already worked on a few, though. Red Chomp, Vivian, Bob-ulk, Dull Bones, Red Bones, Spina, Spania, Spunia are the top of my head. Not sure about the rest but I hope we don't end up working on the same page. I run through enemy pages in no defined pattern, that's the problem.

I'm just gonna go in Bestiary order, and if I come to a page and it's done, then I'll just go to the next one. The odds of edit conflicts are low. I'm really not concerned.

Literally took all day, but all the TTYD templates are now updated. Thanks again for the pre-made stats table (User_talk:Megadardery/Sandbox2) - 'twas the only way it was possible to have finished it in one go. For the most part, I didn't bother moving things out of History sections, since I knew that'd take too long (and the few that I did mess around with more proved that it would), so I just replaced templates where they were.

The only thing from the table I didn't add anywhere was the set of stats for Doopliss's partners, since they don't have enemyboxes. Perhaps they can just be added to the pages as a special mini-table or something - I'll try to remember to look into it tomorrow if I have time.

For enemies with multiple battles or multiple pieces, I split them up into multiple infoboxes, except the Smorg since all the misc stats are the same for both the Miasma and the regular Smorg, and it's complicated by the fact that there's a third form involved too, and it was just plain messy. Also, for the Shadow Queen, I wasn't really sure if the Dark/Shadow Wave attack is possibe in the first battle, or only the second, so I left it in both sets of attacks. I'm also not sure what's the difference between the two attacks, or if perhaps they're just one attack with two different power levels? The playthrough I watched (Chuggaaconroy) only had the 17 damage version (from the second battle), and just random google searches didn't really help, but I admittedly didn't look very long or hard since I was getting pretty tired by that point.

Yeah, and there's a few other extra RPG infoboxes floating around that'll need to get updated too. But I'd kinda like to focus on getting the bosses/enemies all up to date first, or at least get within spitting distance of being done, before adding to the workload.

And after the RPGs, there are other series' templates that will be worth looking into, like Template:Mgtt-infobox. Although in other cases, it'll be better to keep the standard Template:Infobox style, with the dark, square borders (the main reason I kept the borders round and pale for the RPG enemyboxes was because of the horizontal stacking - for vertical forms, I like the dark, square versions much better, but wanted the two forms consistent; but even now, I'm not 100% sure about either choice).

I wonder how you manage literally hours of computer work because if I do the same, I'll go very hungry and I'll get shoulder cramps.

When I'm at home, I usually wander away to look for snacks or whatever every few hours. When I'm at school, sometimes I stretch and look around the room or out the window, and if the work's really immersive (like stats and graphing), I can just go at it for hours without really noticing hunger.

I do it too, but I end up getting hungry a lot and shoulder cramps get to me.

And yeah, I can do this for hours but I constantly worry about my sedentary lifestyle, and my parents often complain about it, although I don't think they even realize that I'm something pretty productive in terms of improving the quality of go-to Mario nerddom.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that ends up skipping meals when working on the wiki because otherwise, I feel like there's something wrong with me.

Anyway, any more work needs to be done? Also, have people adequately data-mined Paper Jam and Dream Team yet? Or is that a little too soon?

I don't really have means in general besides dinner (and breakfast, if I'm going to be out doing fieldwork), I just snack all the time. My computer time's balanced by field work and walking everywhere, so my lifestyle's pretty good.

Yeah, most of the work still needs to be done. Like I said, I was only fixing/filling the TTYD template coding - many of them are still vertical and in Histories, or have second, still-vertical PM templates, which still need info copied into them from Megadardery's first bestiary draft, and most other templates still need updating on the articles too in one way or another, last I checked.

I've looked around a bit, but haven't found any data-mining for PM:SS or M&L:PJ yet, but there's a decent amount of info for DT (Mario & Luigi: Dream Team bestiary). For all the templates, if there is a variable on the template, the information is available on the wiki already - the only exception is the internal ID, since we only have it for a smattering of enemies in any given game, and tbh, I'm really considering just removing the variable, and in the case of the DT and PJ boxes, replacing it with "type". Design-wise, I'm also still thinking of making the vertical versions not have rectangular edges, and have dark borders, to be like most standard infoboxes (but leave the horizontal ones as-is).

Dr. Mario said:
Also, have people adequately data-mined Paper Jam and Dream Team yet? Or is that a little too soon?

People have ripped sprites for it, if that counts for anything. If they can rip sprites and convert them to a readable image format, pretty sure they have the power to look at enemy data if they wanted to.

However, as Kazo said, there's nothing right now. We probably have to wait until the Prima guide for Dream Team is released unless we get lucky and someone else is interested in the enemy data as much as we are, or is at least able to look at data.

From what I can tell, all of that DT info (excluding ID and No Hitter) is point-for-point from the Prima eGuide, so it may not correlate exactly with the in-game stats. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Source: I own it.

Would it be a good idea to create horizontal versions of mgtt-infobox as well? It's not as widely used, but same reasons apply.

Back