“Daisy is just a Peach clone!” The Ultimate Response

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can view my original post on tumblr here: http://uh-huh-alright-daisy.tumblr.com/. I've made this to respond to a lot of the things held against this character, and not to make you a fan of her, but to get people informed. Points of it take from the work I've done on her article on the MarioWiki, as well! Should be a good read for any Mario fan. As a side note, I also foundit interesting there's a current topic on this forum speaking of the discussions of how fans respond to new spin-off characters. People seem to really care about whether characters they like are playable in spin-offs despite simultaneously knocking characters for appearing in them. That's really interesting! I hope to participate more in the forum than just this, nice to meet you!

tumblr_nzegnozYJv1v1kejho1_1280.png
“Daisy is just a Peach clone!” The Ultimate Response

“Daisy’s just a Peach recolor!”
Peach is a blonde and Daisy’s a ginger. Peach’s dress is rose and pink while Daisy’s is yellow and orange. Peach’s jewels are blue and Daisy’s have been green since 2002. They don’t even have the same skin-tone despite Daisy having a short-lived tan. So they are color-coded for your convenience, but they are not differentiated by color alone.

Daisy has always had her own facial-features and hair-style, as seen in her first two appearances, Super Mario Land and NES Open Tournament Golf, but in 2000 her facial-features were made more distinct in Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64. In 2002, with the release of Mario Party 4 on the Nintendo GameCube, this became more obvious with the graphic-enhancements from the jump in console generations.
At this same time, Daisy was also given an even more unique hairstyle, as well as her own body-type. She’s shorter than Peach, and is recognized as being thicker than her, having even been categorized in a heavier weight-class in some Mario Kart games.

The most similar thing about their appearances are the princess gowns. Even those are differentiated, though, with Daisy having a flower motif, as well as a number of other visible differences. Meanwhile, Mario and Luigi wear the exact, same outfit aside from Luigi’s hat having an ‘L’ patch and Mario’s having an ‘M’. Additionally, in 2003, with the release of Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Daisy and Peach are shown to have different, primary athletic-clothing; Daisy having sport shorts, and Peach a miniskirt.

“Daisy’s just a Peach recolor!” in-close
The alternate color Peach has in the Smash Bros. series of Daisy’s color-scheme is just that. Mario has had a Wario color since the first game, and even Luigi has a Waluigi color; so on with many others in the series. The discrepancy was in Melee, where they added Daisy’s floral details to the alternate outfit. This was based on their appearances on the N64, a time when, as exemplified, the characters’ appearances weren’t as established and differentiated as they now are. This was not an actual representation of Daisy, and unlike Luigi to Mario, Daisy has never been a Peach recolor.

tumblr_inline_nzeg7uS3zC1qmiej1_1280.jpg
Above compilation provided by Outfoxy on Kinja.

“Daisy doesn’t have a personality!”
In 2003, with the release of Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Daisy was given a new voice, Deanna Mustard. Daisy’s voice finally matched her original description of being a tomboyish, energetic Princess. This was a description made in her debut as a damsel-in-distress, despite the role. On the character select-screen, Daisy poses from side to side, flexing her arms and exclaiming, “Mhm! Mhm!” sassily. Some of her quotes from the game include: “S’up, I’m new, but golf is my thing! And I’ll go toe-to-toe to prove it!“ “Seriously, are you aiming there?” and, “Yes, yes! I rule! I rule!”

From here on, Daisy’s vernacular has had an American twang and recurring usage of Western slang. “Yo!” is a catchphrase Daisy utters in various appearances.

In 2004, in Mario Power Tennis, Daisy will scoff, “Tch, I’m so sure!” and, “Whatever!” in response to the opponent getting a point. In her trophy ceremony, she rolls-out in a pair of roller-blades, remarking to Luigi, “Hey sweetie! I’ll take that,” as she jumps, spins, and lands to grab the trophy from him, leaving him spinning until he collapses.

Super Mario Strikers, 2005. Daisy will come out on the field exclaiming, “Yeah? Yeah?!” throwing her arms open and grimacing at her opponent before, “Tch. Mm-mm,” turning away in disapproval. Scoring a goal, she pops her hip and licks her finger before touching it to her thigh, sounding out, “Tsssss- Ow, Daisy!”

Mario Strikers Charged, 2007. Daisy drops down onto the field, raising up off the ground to exclaim, “Oh, yeah? Come on!” striking a boxer-pose as a bell rings-out. Upon being scored on, Daisy will turn to her teammates, crossing her arms and tapping her foot as she furiously growls; they are seen trembling beneath her. Scoring a goal, she brushes her shoulders off one before the other, simultaneously, “Uh-huh! Alright! Daisy!” followed by shrugging.

A selection of the many quotes from 2011′s Fortune Street include:
  • “Yeah, sure. Big castle. Woooo. I’m totally impressed. Could use a few more flowers though…”
  • “I bet Bowser seriously thinks this goofy castle is totally intimidating. As if!”
  • “I totally want to scale up the side of that statue. What a challenge!”
  • “I’m supposed to pick out a new trade here, huh? Let’s see… Maybe I should be a professional athlete! Yeah!”
  • “You may wonder why I want to win so badly. Well, it’s ‘cause I just HATE losing!”
  • “Winning is a matter of timing and luck. I don’t have either, but I’ve never let that stop me before!”
  • “Don’t underestimate me, people! Just because I’m a princess doesn’t mean I won’t fight dirty!”
  • “If you give me a good number, little die, I’ll promote you to court jester! I’m a princess - I can do that!”

“Daisy doesn’t have a personality!” in-close
So Daisy is not as proper or poised as she would be based on her appearance and status as royalty. She’s usually standing with her hands on her hips, exhibiting hotheadedness in defeat, showboating in victory, and showing off to get her way. Yes, she partakes in the princess life of luxury, but she’s well extroverted and outgoing, and as exemplified, she’s tough and sassy, too. Sounds like a personality whether you like it or not.

“Daisy’s annoying!”
If that’s your opinion, why are you saying it as if it’s a fact? You stop that. You can irrationally hate something if you want to, but it doesn’t reinforce the other negative matters here, and it doesn’t negate the facts. Any Mario character could be accused of being annoying. How about, “Wah!” And, “It’s-a-me, Mario!” Additionally, “Ohhh- Did I win?” Finally, [Random Animal Noises from DK]. Even Rosalina emotes. What you could find annoying about a character, all their fans could find admirable or charming about them.

“Daisy’s just a filler-character!”
A filler-character is someone merely included to make numbers, rather than to add something to the cast. Filler-characters have no intellectual or entertaining value, and no input.

This is only applicable to Daisy in certain appearances, and to certain extents. For example, in most Mario Party games there is nothing to differentiate the characters from one-another when it comes to most of the gameplay, but most of Daisy’s appearances in these games still include doses of her unique personality and representation, which are elements of gameplay. The best example would be in Super Mario Land, where Daisy filled the role of the damsel-in-distress, much as Peach does in most of her appearances in this role. This is the one and only time Daisy ever fills this role herself, however.

It should be pointed out, also, that Daisy was reintroduced into Mario games in Mario Tennis because they wanted more human characters. That is filling a role, but that doesn’t necessarily equate to being a filler-character; which should be obvious. In this game, Daisy did have her own play-style, voice, appearance, and personality. Indeed, for the first time she was portrayed to be outgoing, jumping around the court with each point. She also gets so caught up in her own victory celebration, she falls off the stage.

As her appearances continued, Daisy proved to have even more differences in play-style than not just Peach, but the other characters, too. In Mario Golf, Daisy’s play-style is entirely unique, having her own, designated attributes. In Mario Power Tennis on the NGC, Daisy’s flower powers are heavily explored, being able to summon petals around her racket to deliver a powerful shot, and being able to float over a growing bed of flowers to reach the ball for a defensive return. As of the most recent tennis game, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Daisy is no longer even in the same category-type as Peach, being an All-Around type instead of a Technique type like in her earlier tennis appearances, showing this character continues to evolve over time.

Daisy has her own special abilities in many other games, as well. In the first baseball game, Mario Superstar Baseball, Daisy has the Flower Ball, which conceals her ball in a barrage of confusing petals. In the second baseball game, Mario Super Sluggers, she has the Flower Swing, which conceals her ball’s destination in a flower-garden with an accompanying fence, guarding it off. She has the unique ability of a Super Dive, as well, letting her dive great lengths to catch a ball. This game also introduced Baby Daisy, who has appeared in numerous games since. Daisy also has the Crystal Smash from Mario Strikers Charged, a special ability where Daisy punches the ground, which then erupts with giant, jagged crystals that wreck opponents. In Mario Sports Mix Daisy pulls out a pair of pom-poms to deflect objects and people.

Daisy also has her own levels in games like Mario Kart, where the Daisy Cruiser, her own, personal cruise-ship, was introduced. This level reappears in numerous Mario Kart games, and served as her personal stadium in Mario Super Sluggers. Other Daisy levels include the Daisy Circuit, Daisy Hills, and Crystal Canyon.

“Daisy’s just a filler-character!” in-close
They do not pay separate actors money to reprise a role for over a decade, create multiple versions of, create entire levels based-on, develop a unique design for, design multiple costumes for. establish a unique personality for, create individual special-abilities for, and assign personal-statistics to a mere filler-character.

Daisy has received developmental changes over time that address these matters. Saying things like this really ignores that effort, and it only acknowledges her status and description in her earliest appearances.

“Daisy’s a spin-off character!”
Daisy has appeared in more than fifty games to this day, December 15th, 2015. Forty-four of her appearances have her as a playable character. One of her appearances was in a Mario platformer game, that being her debut-appearance, Super Mario Land.

Did her appearance in this game contribute to the game, or even she herself? Well, it established her kingdom, and her description as a tomboy princess. It served to set a Mario game in a place outside of the Mushroom Kingdom for a change. If she was merely created for the spin-off games, she’d probably have less going for her character’s background and history. Still, as covered, she herself didn’t receive much of any notable attention in the game, serving as the measly, damsel-in-distress role Peach has so often.

The platformers aren’t necessarily all that they’re made out to be by Nintendo fans. The spin-off games are no less canonical to the Mario series than any of the platformers, and Nintendo gives zero gold-coins about story compared to gameplay either way. The platformers can be just as much of cash-grabs, too. Anyone who plays most Mario games should know all that. Why is it then that so much importance is placed on a character appearing in the platformers compared to the spin-offs?

Well for some characters the platformers have given that opportunity for good character growth in a short number of appearances, as opposed to the character growth exemplified here for Daisy, which has occurred over many appearances. That doesn’t mean that being in a platformer necessarily will give character growth, however. Many of the characters’ appearances in the platformers have given just as little to them as some of the spin-offs. There is still a clear advantage in a character gaining development in one of the platformers, however. This is simply what it comes down to.

“Daisy’s a spin-off character!” in-close
So yes, Daisy is a spin-off character. There’s a lot not being accounted for in her decade and a half of consistent appearances, though. A lot that has added-up to garner respect that she’s not getting.

So it’s like a double-edged sword where she now has a lot going for her because of these appearances, but the stigma of appearing in only spin-offs is preventing enough recognition.

Her fans still yearn for her to appear in more opportunistic roles because we know it’s what could turn others around. Appearing in the platformers or something like a Smash Bros. game would put her in the spotlight she needs to show all that she’s become. I hope the people who say these things against the character can read this and get a grasp of all there is they may be missing.

huh. people actually think Daisy and Peach are the same person? I never did (mostly because Daisy is so screechy for lack of a better word)

Cat Gray said:
huh. people actually think Daisy and Peach are the same person? I never did (mostly because Daisy is so screechy for lack of a better word)
It helps to have her own voice actor! Mario Kart: Double Dash!! the game with the infamous "Hi, I'm Daisy!" quote actually pitched-up her voice. I don't know that screechy is an accurate description outside of this game. Loud? Heck yes. And aside from the clone accusation mostly being from the Smash community, there actually are people who have confused the two. It's mostly because of the early days when there was a lot less to go on. So people played Super Mario Land, saw the live-action film, and also realized Peach had multiple names, and it all was so confusing for them, apparently. Haha

I like this analysis, as it's pretty relevant to my own favorite characters, but can't the same arguments be made with virtually most playable Mario characters?

Great analysis, I agree with you on every part. I would add Daisy has the best voice. <3
I am still salty she didn't get a costume in Super Mario Maker.

UhHuhAlirghtDaisy said:
The platformers aren’t necessarily all that they’re made out to be by Nintendo fans. The spin-off games are no less canonical to the Mario series than any of the platformers, and Nintendo gives zero gold-coins about story compared to gameplay either way. The platformers can be just as much of cash-grabs, too. Anyone who plays most Mario games should know all that. Why is it then that so much importance is placed on a character appearing in the platformers compared to the spin-offs?
Yeah, you reminded me: people don't give enough credit to the Mario spinoffs in general for playing an extremely important role in character design and in helping the Mario franchise become the biggest gaming franchise in the world. Mario spin-offs have influenced the following characters' designs, especially from the transition from N64 silicon graphics to today. Since platformers don't come every single year, it's up to the spinoffs to fill in the gaps and help establish character design. Furthermore, design-wise, the spinoffs I've listed here aren't even developed by Nintendo (as in Mario Kart).

Mario - Luigi's Mansion (Mario looked noticeably different in his Luigi's Mansion design compared to other GCN counterparts, such as his Melee render and unused Pikmin render, both which resemble the silicon graphics of the previous generation. Also, more notably, an edutainment spinoff is the first game where Mario's established voice actor is Charles Martinet.

Luigi - Mario Party 4 (surprisingly not Luigi's Mansion, but there are subtle differences in both Luigi's Mansion and Mario Party renders, and the Mario Party render is definitely closer to the familiar Luigi). Mario Kart 64; first Charles Martinet voice for Luigi.

Yoshi - Yoshi's Story; current design: Mario Party 4

Hammer Bro.: Mario Party games gave them shoes and Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix was first to come with a modern rendering of Hammer Bro..

Princess Peach - Mario Party 4; her current voice by Samantha Kelly is from Mario Party 8.

Princess Daisy - Mario Party 4 (which also is the base of her short hair and her current design). Also, the spin-offs revived her from obscurity.

Shy Guy: Mario Power Tennis; gave Shy Guy a voice rather than noises.

Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong (Game Boy); decidedly not mainstream at the time of the game's release, first gave DK a tie.
Donkey Kong Country, a game from a derived series, uses the design we're familiar with today. Mario Power Tennis gave him the now-familiar Takashi Nagasako voice.

Toad- Mario Party 4; first established voice (with Jen Taylor) was from Mario Tennis 64; familiar voice today is Samantha Kelly, and that's from Mario Party 8.

Dry Bones: Mario Superstar Baseball (standardized its design)

Wario: personality solidly established in a sister series, Wario Land and later on WarioWare and other Wario games.
Wario's short sleeves originated in Wario World, which is used in most later games.

Bowser: Luigi's Mansion. Mainly skin tone.

Cirdec said:
Great analysis, I agree with you on every part. I would add Daisy has the best voice. <3
Yeah, I'm still scratching my head over this. The Daisy naysayers keep saying "Daisy is filler", "Daisy is unimportant", "Daisy has a stupid fanbase", but they're pathetically flimsy points since there's no doubt that Daisy is a Mario character- a prominent one at that and if Waluigi can be a sprite, then Daisy should. Along with Birdo, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Toadette, and even the Koopalings. Not Animal Crossing character #32.

Dr. Mario said:
Yeah, I'm still scratching my head over this. The Daisy naysayers keep saying "Daisy is filler", "Daisy is unimportant", "Daisy has a stupid fanbase", but they're pathetically flimsy points since there's no doubt that Daisy is a Mario character- a prominent one
To add even more more evidence to what you say, here are the two pages of the main characters in the Super Mario series, from the Super Mario Bros. Encycloepdia:
tumblr_nx5s9cLuXh1s3uawvo9_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nx5s9cLuXh1s3uawvo10_r1_1280.jpg

None of the points against her is enough even for Nintendo: she's a main Mario universe character, despite appearing in the Super Mario Bros. series only once and in a game which wasn't even made for home consoles.

Nope, although I do have the Encyclopedia, I did not scan and post these pages, also because I do not know how legal it would be to post full scans of pages.
They were posted by Tumblr user n64thstreet.

Raigh said:
I don't really know why she gets so much hate. She's not as bad as people make her out to be.
I never really got the "Peach clone!" part. Sure she started out as one, but she's become way more distinct since then.

Cirdec said:
I'm sorry to build your hopes up with that just to crush them. I made those edits and faked the leak to get people talking, though, and it seemed to work! I actually messaged Camelot's official email when Ultra Smash was first announced simply telling them her fans liked it when she had the shorts because we liked when she is differentiated from Peach, and behold she reappeared with them and a different category than Peach. So I find it's good to directly contact companies, even in this age of snail-mail and direct-interaction being dead.

Baby Luigi said:
I like this analysis, as it's pretty relevant to my own favorite characters, but can't the same arguments be made with virtually most playable Mario characters?
A simmilar argument, surely. Daisy's high appearance count makes a big difference in her favor, though. But yeah, you could totally make good arguments for other characters based on the points here!

Side Note: Yo! Can someone please translate that scan? lol

Was never too big a fan of Daisy, but I really don't mind her in the Mario games.

Just keep her as far away from Smash Bros. as possible.

What baffles me is that Daisy could be an actual Peach alt - not a recolor, but a different costume, like Wireframe Mac and the Koopalings. Instead Daisy is still stuck as a Peach recolor.

UhHuhAlirghtDaisy said:
Side Note: Yo! Can someone please translate that scan? lol
Ok, what is written in that scan is:
デイジーサラサ・ランドのうら若きお姫様 。タタンガという悪者にさらわれたことがある。
"Daisy
Young princess of Sarasa Land. There she was kidnapped by a villain called Tatanga."

And since I know you'll like them, here's the bio of Daisy in the Super Mario Land section, on page 47...
デイジー姫 ちょっとおてんばで元気いっぱいのサラサ·ランドのお姫様。宇宙怪人のタタンガにさらわれてしまう。
"Prnicess Dasiy
Peppy and a little tomboyish princess of Sarasa Land. She was kidnapped from Tatanga of the phantom space."
(Here the strange thing is that instead of宇宙怪人タタンガ, Tatanga, the evil from space, we have 宇宙怪人のタタンガ, Tatanga of the phantom [evil in the original translation of the wiki] space. I can confirm the presence of the の, so now let the Tatanga debate begin!)

..and the bio of the Super Mario Memorial Book:
デイジー
『スーパーマリオランド』のヒロイン。『スーパー マリオ』シリーズ以外での活躍が多い。
"Daisy
The heroine of "Super Mario Land". Active in series other than the "Super Mario" series."

Keep in mind that these are Google Translate + Bing Translate + common sense, if you want a real translation ask people with actual knowledge of Japanese!

I'd rather Daisy become her own fighter than be stuck as a Peach alt.

Her moveset could be based on the Mario Sport titles (of course, I'd rather have Waluigi for this role, but if we need Daisy, I'd like this option).

oh god why do you have to link to gfaqssb wiki

i seriously doubt uhad is a troll. they've been editing on the wiki for close to a decade. i'm pretty sure they're just a big daisy fan

as for those japanese texts, i dont really think 宇宙怪人のタタンガ is a particularly notable phrasing. i would translate it as "tatanga the mysterious spaceman" and i'm fairly certain he's been called that since his first appearance

hey UHAD, I found a Daisy body pillow online. Want me to buy it for you for Christmas?

2257 said:
i seriously doubt uhad is a troll. they've been editing on the wiki for close to a decade. i'm pretty sure they're just a big daisy fan

as for those japanese texts, i dont really think 宇宙怪人のタタンガ is a particularly notable phrasing. i would translate it as "tatanga the mysterious spaceman" and i'm fairly certain he's been called that since his first appearance
actually, i know who youre talking about, and i dont think thats him (foreverdaisy, or fd, was his previous name im sure). op joined a few days ago

regardless i dont think that theyre a troll either, just a huge fan. to comment on the topic, daisy isnt a peach "clone". i mean, mario and luigi started out being the same thing but just a palette swap, and today nobody thinks theyre clones either, so it should hold true for daisy if we can make the distinction between mario & luigi.

i feel like its been a pretty long time since shes appeared in anything that wasnt a spinoff. to me it looks like rosalina kinda stole the spotlight (ie, sm3dw, smash) from her, making her sort of irrelevant, but i know she still has lots of fans. atleast shes still been appearing in the spinoffs i guess, i dont play as her but i think everyone should be able to pick their favourite character to play as, and atleast they didnt dump her completely like dk jr. from smk for instance (rip ;_;7).

Crocodile Dippy said:
hey UHAD, I found a Daisy body pillow online. Want me to buy it for you for Christmas?
this is pretty rude tbh

^ oh, i just assumed it was the same person lol. is the name a coincidence or does it mean something im not aware of?

I think he's probably a sock of that user

His diction is very similar to that wiki user anyway.

Nico Yazawa said:
i mean, mario and luigi started out being the same thing but just a palette swap, and today nobody thinks theyre clones either, so it should hold true for daisy if we can make the distinction between mario & luigi.

I feel there's a difference between the cases Peach vs. Daisy and Mario vs. Luigi. Luigi has had several chances to distinguish himself from his brother, the earliest instance being in the original Super Mario Bros. 2, where he controlled differently. He has developed a persona that is entirely different from Mario's, with his own personality, his own enemies (ghosts), and his own abilities. Luigi has come so far, he can nowadays even star in his own games without it seeming weird. He has earned that distinction.

Daisy on the other hand is still struggling establishing anything like that. She's appeared in one platformer in which she was functionally identical to Peach, and in all subsequent spin-off games she has appeared in, Peach is also playable. Wherever Daisy appears, Peach is with her in some form, in role or in person. Daisy has not yet escaped Peach's shadow and is thus unable to truly stand on her own, like Luigi does. And if Nintendo continues the direction they're going with her, she likely never will.

The sad thing is that Daisy actually does have potential as a character. She is the Princess of Sarasaland, a kingdom that is an amalgamation of egyptian/easter island/chinese mythology and just plain weirdness. Yet the character does not reflect that. If they want to free Daisy from the Peach recolor trap, they should stop resting on the excuse of "If we say Daisy is a tomboy, that'll make her different enough from Peach whatevs lol". Being a tomboy is a one-note characteristic. Give her something beside that. Make her embrace her heritage and better reflect the qualities of her kingdom.

That's just my two cents though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back