Things that you think Mario Kart can improve upon or should add.

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
This thread is about things that Mario Kart can add or should improve upon.

Here is my list of things that Mario Kart can add and/or improve upon:

A free open world driving mode (Outrun-like mode)

This mode is like Outrun. It's a free driving mode without any racing.

#2 Realism

Mario Kart can feature real life karts, bikes, cars, and ATVs. Plus it should feature vehicle damage. This means various parts of your vehicle can take damage. Plus the vehicles can easily be repaired through servicing. It can also be turned off.

This idea comes straight from Network Q RAC Rally Championship for DOS.

#3 A rally mode.

This modes name is exactly what it is. It's a rally. So you have to use rally cars instead of karts, bikes or ATVs.

Different perspectives

Here is something Mario Kart really needs to improve upon. Different points of views.

First Person.

In car.

Third person POV.

What are your thoughts on this?

Adventure mode

Cahoots Is Spelled With A C said:
or story mode (which may be the same)
Mcmadness said:
Adventure mode

This is the best idea ever to be implemented in Mario Kart right next to my realism idea.

I definitely have a couple things on my list, that the Mario Kart series could improve on.

1: A more balanced roster.

Mario Kart 8 had a heavily imbalanced roster, in terms of stat distributions. Weight classes should be treated more equally with their stat spreads, and even be split up further to make the balancing possible to pull off. For an example, if a roster consists of 40 characters (this excludes Miis), there would be 4 characters per weight class. There would be a small exception to the rule if there are size abnormalities between weight classes though (which was the case with Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach).

2: No acceleration tiers.

It stinks knowing that acceleration is tiered in Mario Kart 8. For an example, 3.25 acceleration should be able to accelerate quicker than 3 acceleration. I did design a list, in regards to how to improve the acceleration stat.

Seconds to reach 75% top speed
  • 1/6: 5 seconds
  • 1.25/6: 4.75 seconds
  • 1.5/6: 4.5 seconds
  • 1.75/6: 4.25 seconds
  • 2/6: 4 seconds
  • 2.25/6: 3.75 seconds
  • 2.5/6: 3.5 seconds
  • 2.75/6: 3.25 seconds
  • 3/6: 3 seconds
  • 3.25/6: 2.75 seconds
  • 3.5/6: 2.5 seconds
  • 3.75/6: 2.25 seconds
  • 4/6: 2 seconds
  • 4.25/6: 1.75 seconds
  • 4.5/6: 1.5 seconds
  • 4.75/6: 1.25 seconds
  • 5/6: 1 second
  • 5.25/6: 15/16 of a second
  • 5.5/6: 7/8 of a second
  • 5.75/6: 13/16 of a second
Seconds to reach max. top speed
  • 1/6: 10 seconds
  • 1.25/6: 9.5 seconds
  • 1.5/6: 9 seconds
  • 1.75/6: 8.5 seconds
  • 2/6: 8 seconds
  • 2.25/6: 7.5 seconds
  • 2.5/6: 7 seconds
  • 2.75/6: 6.5 seconds
  • 3/6: 6 seconds
  • 3.25/6: 5.5 seconds
  • 3.5/6: 5 seconds
  • 3.75/6: 4.5 seconds
  • 4/6: 4 seconds
  • 4.25/6: 3.5 seconds
  • 4.5/6: 3 seconds
  • 4.75/6: 2.5 seconds
  • 5/6: 2 seconds
  • 5.25/6: 1.875 seconds
  • 5.5/6: 1.75 seconds
  • 5.75/6: 1.625 seconds

MnSG said:
I definitely have a couple things on my list, that the Mario Kart series could improve on.

1: A more balanced roster.

Mario Kart 8 had a heavily imbalanced roster, in terms of stat distributions. Weight classes should be treated more equally with their stat spreads, and even be split up further to make the balancing possible to pull off. For an example, if a roster consists of 40 characters (this excludes Miis), there would be 4 characters per weight class. There would be a small exception to the rule if there are size abnormalities between weight classes though (which was the case with Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach).

2: No acceleration tiers.

It stinks knowing that acceleration is tiered in Mario Kart 8. For an example, 3.25 acceleration should be able to accelerate quicker than 3 acceleration. I did design a list, in regards to how to improve the acceleration stat.

Seconds to reach 75% top speed
  • 1/6: 5 seconds
  • 1.25/6: 4.75 seconds
  • 1.5/6: 4.5 seconds
  • 1.75/6: 4.25 seconds
  • 2/6: 4 seconds
  • 2.25/6: 3.75 seconds
  • 2.5/6: 3.5 seconds
  • 2.75/6: 3.25 seconds
  • 3/6: 3 seconds
  • 3.25/6: 2.75 seconds
  • 3.5/6: 2.5 seconds
  • 3.75/6: 2.25 seconds
  • 4/6: 2 seconds
  • 4.25/6: 1.75 seconds
  • 4.5/6: 1.5 seconds
  • 4.75/6: 1.25 seconds
  • 5/6: 1 second
  • 5.25/6: 15/16 of a second
  • 5.5/6: 7/8 of a second
  • 5.75/6: 13/16 of a second
Seconds to reach max. top speed
  • 1/6: 10 seconds
  • 1.25/6: 9.5 seconds
  • 1.5/6: 9 seconds
  • 1.75/6: 8.5 seconds
  • 2/6: 8 seconds
  • 2.25/6: 7.5 seconds
  • 2.5/6: 7 seconds
  • 2.75/6: 6.5 seconds
  • 3/6: 6 seconds
  • 3.25/6: 5.5 seconds
  • 3.5/6: 5 seconds
  • 3.75/6: 4.5 seconds
  • 4/6: 4 seconds
  • 4.25/6: 3.5 seconds
  • 4.5/6: 3 seconds
  • 4.75/6: 2.5 seconds
  • 5/6: 2 seconds
  • 5.25/6: 1.875 seconds
  • 5.5/6: 1.75 seconds
  • 5.75/6: 1.625 seconds

Do you mind my realism idea in Mario Kart? It does add a fair amount of challenge and variety in Mario Kart.

Literally the only things I can think of for MK is balancing issues (both with stats and item distribution) and an added Adventure mode. Other than that, I guess the series is fine enough.

Oh and bring back Birdo.

The only problem i think Mario Kart has is Stat Distribution, since Metal Mario had the highest stats in Mario Kart 7 alomg with the fastest combination. It butchered Mario Kart servers, especially in Mario Kart 8 with people constantly picking Morton with the pipe frame. To be honest, i think the more simpler solution to fix this particular type of problem is balanced stats for all characters.

Then again, people have opinions.

instead of adding an adventure mode to mario kart they should just make a sequel to diddy kong racing thats actually good unlike diddy kong racing ds

Bring that tank back from Mario Kart Arcade GP DX

Being a fan of Crash Tag Team Racing's free roam the park mode, I'd like something similar in a Mario Kart game.

Have the story be that Peach opens a new park for racing. It's a big hit and everyone comes. But Bowser takes the keys that unlock the sections of the park and hides them. Mario finds the first key pretty easily, but needs to go through the other sections to find the other keys.

There are six sections in the park.

Mario Circuit- the basic racetrack type section. Also contains a replica of Peach's Castle you can walk into.
Donut Plains- a grassy area with a small lake
Ghost Valley- a dark forest with a haunted house
Choco Island- a mountainous area made of chocolate (yeah I know it would melt, but whatever)
Koopa Beach- a beach with a hut
Vanilla Lake- the ice section (probably would have a hot area for some variety)

Each section would have three tracks. Obviously, it wouldn't be like Super Mario Kart where they're essentially all the same. They would be different, but with a matching theme. They would all be explorable, with secrets and missions to do.

The main area would be where you access the six sections and would, like the sections, have several npcs walking around, but also the characters you can play as (minus Bowser), which you can switch between.

Also, there would be a shop run by Rocky Wrench where you buy car parts and other with the coins you earn on the tracks.

After getting all the keys, you go to Bowser's Castle and race against the Koopalings, and they're no pushovers.

Beat them, and Kamek transports you to Rainbow Road for a final race against a now giant Bowser and Bowser Jr, who throws Koopa Shells and Bob-ombs at you. Beat them, and Bowser gives up, about to leave. But Peach allows him to stay on the condition he doesn't do that again.

Alucard and Zero said:
Do you mind my realism idea in Mario Kart? It does add a fair amount of challenge and variety in Mario Kart.

Truthfully, I'm not a big fan of the first-person idea. While it is in Mario Kart 7, I only ever used it while watching replays, but never during an actual race.

Porygon-Z said:
The only problem i think Mario Kart has is Stat Distribution, since Metal Mario had the highest stats in Mario Kart 7 alomg with the fastest combination. It butchered Mario Kart servers, especially in Mario Kart 8 with people constantly picking Morton with the pipe frame. To be honest, i think the more simpler solution to fix this particular type of problem is balanced stats for all characters.

This is kinda where my acceleration scale would come to play, as that would make using the poor accelerating combinations more risky; under my table, a 2/6 acceleration combo that got item spammed would have to take up to 8 seconds to fully regain its top speed. Whereas, a 5/6 acceleration combo would recover at a much faster rate from item spam; top speed would be fully regained after just 2 seconds.

Magikrazy said:
Being a fan of Crash Tag Team Racing's free roam the park mode, I'd like something similar in a Mario Kart game.

Have the story be that Peach opens a new park for racing. It's a big hit and everyone comes. But Bowser takes the keys that unlock the sections of the park and hides them. Mario finds the first key pretty easily, but needs to go through the other sections to find the other keys.

There are six sections in the park.

Mario Circuit- the basic racetrack type section. Also contains a replica of Peach's Castle you can walk into.
Donut Plains- a grassy area with a small lake
Ghost Valley- a dark forest with a haunted house
Choco Island- a mountainous area made of chocolate (yeah I know it would melt, but whatever)
Koopa Beach- a beach with a hut
Vanilla Lake- the ice section (probably would have a hot area for some variety)

Each section would have three tracks. Obviously, it wouldn't be like Super Mario Kart where they're essentially all the same. They would be different, but with a matching theme. They would all be explorable, with secrets and missions to do.

The main area would be where you access the six sections and would, like the sections, have several npcs walking around, but also the characters you can play as (minus Bowser), which you can switch between.

Also, there would be a shop run by Rocky Wrench where you buy car parts and other with the coins you earn on the tracks.

After getting all the keys, you go to Bowser's Castle and race against the Koopalings, and they're no pushovers.

Beat them, and Kamek transports you to Rainbow Road for a final race against a now giant Bowser and Bowser Jr, who throws Koopa Shells and Bob-ombs at you. Beat them, and Bowser gives up, about to leave. But Peach allows him to stay on the condition he doesn't do that again.
Does anyone know on how to E-mail nintendo?.

MnSG said:
Alucard and Zero said:

Truthfully, I'm not a big fan of the first-person idea. While it is in Mario Kart 7, I only ever used it while watching replays, but never during an actual race.

Porygon-Z said:

This is kinda where my acceleration scale would come to play, as that would make using the poor accelerating combinations more risky; under my table, a 2/6 acceleration combo that got item spammed would have to take up to 8 seconds to fully regain its top speed. Whereas, a 5/6 acceleration combo would recover at a much faster rate from item spam; top speed would be fully regained after just 2 seconds.
Well, i think the easiest solution to that is to only add stat distribution to karts but add decreasing car parts (Example: Tires raises speed, handling, and accelleration but lower weight).

Porygon-Z said:
Well, i think the easiest solution to that is to only add stat distribution to karts but add decreasing car parts (Example: Tires raises speed, handling, and accelleration but lower weight).

Stat diversity should still be taken into account though. Mario Kart 7 was on the right track, but since each vehicle part had its own distinct stat spread, that made certain parts be used more often than others.

Anyway, in terms of roster balancing, here's an example that I've designed quite a while back.

wZBu0gy.png

Body Frame Sizes
  • Small
    • Feather 1
    • Feather 2
    • Light 1
    • Light 2
  • Medium
    • Mid-Light 1
    • Mid-Light 2
    • Medium
    • Metal
  • Large
    • Cruiser
    • Mid-Heavy
    • Heavy

Another stat that should probably be looked at is traction, as it felt expendable in Mario Kart 8. Maybe make it so that traction would not only improve vehicle stability on the ground, but it also reduces how much speed is lost on off-road terrain; for an example, a high traction combo would lose much less speed while off-road than a combo that has a low traction stat.

Nice balancing. I'd probably add Wiggler and Pianta to Cruiser and Verdigris Luigi and Orange Gold Daisy to Metal.

Alternate costumes. The option to turn off the music. The option to choose opponents and team members for a battle. A different take on Battle Mode that's like the Full Auto thing or maybe Twisted Metal. If not, make it as it is in Mario Kart 7. Get rid of the Fire Flower. Remove the hand-holding restrictions in VS mode which includes auto spawn if you drive backward and the invisible time limit. Make character voices actually sound like they're getting hurt if they get hit by a shell. Return the falling mechanic from Mario Kart 7. Make Kirby playable.

Is Car damage and car servicing great for a Mario Kart game and having the ability to change your tires a great thing.

It's what Network Q RAC Rally Championship does. Plus you get to do it before every race.

Magikrazy said:
Nice balancing. I'd probably add Wiggler and Pianta to Cruiser and Verdigris Luigi and Orange Gold Daisy to Metal.

Cruiser would be for the tall and thin, which is the case for Rosalina and Waluigi. Pianta, however, is on the bulky side (much like with Donkey Kong and Roy Koopa), so he'd be more of a Mid-Heavy character, if not Heavy.

Car damage is an absolutely idiotic concept to add into Mario Kart. Please don't add it.

Back