Paper Mario TTYD vs Paper Mario vs Super Paper Mario

Angelxmoore

NO SEXISM ALLOWED!
This series is another one of my most favorite Mario games.
I hope you guys and I can see eye to eye on this one, unlike Super Mario Galaxy 1 vs Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Personally, I loved the Thousand Year Door the best out of the three, then it is Super Paper Mario, then the original.

the original is my favourite, TTYD is fun and I despise Super.

The original Paper Mario, and then Thousand-Year Door

*notice how I didn't put Sticker Star XD

ANYWAYS, why is the original your favorite? Is it like the Galaxy vs Galaxy 2? TTYD ripped off from the original Paper Mario?

And why do you dislike Super Paper Mario? I think it was extremely creative and brave for that game to go one step forward. Mario is much more widely active and the storyline itself is very dark and sad as well.

*faints*
Didn't you love the ending? How Tippi and Blumiere sacrificed themselves to save the world?!

paper mario is FREAKING AWESOME mainly for getting me into the rpg genre which i freaking love.

ttyd had its moments of being better, but overall felt inferior.

super paper mario just freaking sucks no matter what

To save people the irritation of having me rant about SPM AGAIN, I'll just link to this.

http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=32871.0

Wow you excluded Sticker Star. Very typical...

Usually between the original and TTYD, but I usually just say TTYD is my favorite. I didn't enjoy Super Paper Mario. I had more written more on why I don't like it, but I'm worried I'll start a flame war.

For every soul that claims SPM to be underrated, I would like to redirect you to Sticker Star.

Xandalf said:
Wow you excluded Sticker Star. Very typical...

Usually between the original and TTYD, but I usually just say TTYD is my favorite. I didn't enjoy Super Paper Mario. I had more written more on why I don't like it, but I'm worried I'll start a flame war.

For every soul that claims SPM to be underrated, I would like to redirect you to Sticker Star.

I agree with you, Sticker Star is severely underrated.

I've never gotten to play Sticker Star, so I'm not really sure what it's like, but I've had great experiences with the first three Paper Mario games. The first one is an absolute classic, and nnnghhhh Crystal King's boss music is SO good. Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite Mario games (yes, I am a Glitzville fanboy also), and I actually enjoyed Super Paper Mario all the way through, I thought it was a great game.

Did I mention the music is great in all of them? The music is the best part.

Thousand-Year Door is my favourite, it's up there as one of my favourite games just under Metroid Prime.

I also enjoyed Sticker Star. I stopped playing Paper Mario 64 half-way through then lost it, Super Paper Mario was sort of fun but not great.

My favorite game of the series is TTYD, followed by the original. For me, the original was a fun prototype, with the sequel being the refined, perfected end product.

I am not actually that fond of Super Paper Mario. What I like most about the Paper Mario series is that it takes all the nonsense that Mario has amassed over the years and weaves it into a coherent, functional world. The mushrooms and turtles and whatnot you usually just jump on actually have lives here, living in communities together, having jobs, doing things, stuff like that. This was at its height in TTYD.

SPM went away from that, focussing on a world inhabited not by Mario monsters, but... geometric shape people or something. This was a huge letdown for me. The character designs in that game are tolerable at best, and either bland or downright hideous at worst. The art direction in general seems off... even uninspired and lazy at points. The locations are... meh, the things you do at those locations are... meher. I guess the underworld place was kinda cool, but then you're only there for like half the chapter.

The plot... well, it was pretty much Romeo and Juliet with Mario characters... though the Mario characters aspect is debatable since they were just geometric shape people again. Would have liked if they were koopas, or yoshies, or thwomps or whatever instead. Or if you want them to have an otherworldly feel to them, they could have been SMB2 creatures.

The game gets some mercy points for making Bowser playable though.

I used to be one of those fuckers who thought Super Paper Mario was the best, but nowadays I don't know how I'd rank the games. For just a month ago I'd say Paper Mario was better than Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, but I don't even know if I can defend this viewpoint anymore. I just ... like these games. Can I do that? Please, tell me I can.

I'm going to say that from what I've heard in all 4 games (yes, even Sticker Star), I liked the music.

Back