Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2

Angelxmoore

NO SEXISM ALLOWED!
Is anyone here playing Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2? You don't have to be playing right now, but have you played in the last week? Just want to have a friendly chat about one of the best Mario games!

I haven't played that game in more than like 3 years

Prefer Galaxy 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>over that trash though.

Really?! Why is Galaxy 2 trash? It's a good game because you have new diverse galaxies and Yoshi!
But, who can blame you? We all have different opinions and I highly respect that.

there is no or in super mario galaxy

even though the second one is undeniably better, you need to play them both, really.

smg2 is pretty good but it's pretty boring and unmemorable compared to smg
it's basically a glorified smg level pack

i had lots of fun with both but i did prefer 1 over 2 for the reasons xp said
2 was a really good game and had some of my fav shit like throwback galaxy but i feel like 1 was just more cool cause it started it all and 2 jsut built on top of it

The mission design of the first game is far better than that of the second game, but the variety of areas of the second game far outperform the first game. The mechanics are virtually the same, with the only exception being one very useful glitch that was fixed in the second game that doesn't even matter in the second one. The first game has a lot of areas where it's possible to play around with gravity so it is automatically better than the second one.

Reminder-to-self that I still need to beat The Perfect Run.

I would say I liked the two games on a pretty equal level.

Emmett Brown said:
there is no or in super mario galaxy

even though the second one is undeniably better, you need to play them both, really.
Agreed. Played them both and the second stood out to me the most.

smg2 is pretty good but it's pretty boring and unmemorable compared to smg
it's basically a glorified smg level pack
How? There are a variety of galaxies, powerups, and you get to use Yoshi! Each new level was unique and it was way better than completing the game again with Luigi.

i had lots of fun with both but i did prefer 1 over 2 for the reasons xp said
2 was a really good game and had some of my fav *bleep* like throwback galaxy but i feel like 1 was just more cool cause it started it all and 2 jsut built on top of it
Ah Throwback Galaxy. Yes, I loved that. But I'm sure you enjoyed Cosmic Cove and Slimy Springs! Also the galaxies weren't that repetitive. *Ahem* Dreadnaught Galaxy*Ahem*

The mission design of the first game is far better than that of the second game, but the variety of areas of the second game far outperform the first game. The mechanics are virtually the same, with the only exception being one very useful glitch that was fixed in the second game that doesn't even matter in the second one. The first game has a lot of areas where it's possible to play around with gravity so it is automatically better than the second one.
Agreed in every possible way except one being better than the second one. :P

Tough call but I'd have to say the first Super Mario Galaxy.
Even though I have to disagree, I respect your opinion! After all, it's the first game that started this magnificent series!

Reminder-to-self that I still need to beat The Perfect Run. I would say I liked the two games on a pretty equal level.
Oh man, what a nightmare! I'm still stuck on that....

I find myself leaning towards the first one.

The second one is a cynical cashgrab that coattails off the first game's success and manages to dodge criticism that it's essentially the same regurgitated crap but with more crap thrown in. They even have the nerve to sell it at full price and call it a full new game when it's as new as New Super Mario Bros. 2.

The first one left a much deeper impression on me on the luxury of being novel at the time, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 tainted itself and my view on the first game somewhat.

True, I'd probably hate New Super Mario Bros. 2 even more. Until modding comes in, anyway, and I can create levels for that game.

Angelxmoore said:
Also the galaxies weren't that repetitive. *Ahem* Dreadnaught Galaxy*Ahem*
hey dreadnought galaxy was sick remember those purple coins

Stargazing said:
i prefer the first one by a long shot
EXPANSION GO

• I'm going to first make people scream in terror by saying: my opinion.
  • Having Yoshi doesn't really justify that much. Yes, Yoshi's in it, but it doesn't change any core mechanics or really mean anything in the end. They never really appear and controls nearly the same as Mario, excluding tongue.
  • New powerups are introduced in games but that doesn't make them better. See: New Super Mario Bros. 2.
  • The galaxies are relatively similar compared to Galaxy, with some exceptions.
  • The hub world was so much better in the first game. Comet Observatory >>>> Starship Mario.
  • I like what they did with the pull stars and planets in the different subsections in Galaxy. The way they handled the map in Galaxy 2 was good, but not great. But, this is just what appeals to me in design and doesn't have an effect my overall opinion on either game.
  • Speaking of those subsections, I liked them being named like "Bedroom" or "Kitchen" in comparison to "World 3".
  • Costs as much as the first game when it doesn't add as much as it should.

Uniju said:
Angelxmoore said:
Also the galaxies weren't that repetitive. *Ahem* Dreadnaught Galaxy*Ahem*
hey dreadnought galaxy was sick remember those purple coins
ayy dreadnought was gr8

Emmett Brown said:
well but as opposed to nsmb2 the game is actually fun.
fair point

yeah also the first one has rosalina in it for more than like 2 minutes at the very end

i shouldn't need to explain that rosalina >>>>>>>>>> lubba

To be honest, I like both, and I'd like Lubba to be playable in more games, but I think that's not a possibility anymore.

Marie said:
yeah also the first one has rosalina in it for more than like 2 minutes at the very end
Some people don't like Rosalina that much so I left that out.

Marie said:
rosalina >>>>>>>>>> lubba
But yeah, this.

And the storybook.
The storybook.

I like the storybook too.

But...
546px-Baby_Rosalina-MK8.png

Dr. Mario said:

But...
get that shit out of here

also another thing about galaxy 2 is that the galaxies were just bland copies of galaxy 1's levels
and they took levels from other games, too! just look at throwback galaxy (at least that one was fun though)
i think the only level that i liked that was actually original was cosmic cove, cosmic cove was gr8

also the bowser boss fights in 2 sucked ass

Sad how even the Rosalina fans hate that hellspawn.

Marie said:
Dr. Mario said:

But...
get that *bleep* out of here

also another thing about galaxy 2 is that the galaxies were just bland copies of galaxy 1's levels
and they took levels from other games, too! just look at throwback galaxy (at least that one was fun though)
i think the only level that i liked that was actually original was cosmic cove, cosmic cove was gr8

also the bowser boss fights in 2 sucked ass
Bowser boss fights tend to suck ass, but Galaxy 2 takes the gold medal.

Galaxy 2 introduced Beat Blocks and a few other creative things, but as a whole, it's not that great.

Back