Internet errors

Lily x

Goodbye
recently my internet has been really inconsistent as sometimes pages won't load and images won't load
The most common error which comes up is 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET' and I have tried looking online with how to fix it but I have no luck, as the internet is connected but the error still comes up and it is starting to get more and more irritating and more frequent
Does anyone know how to fix it?

What browser do you use? Does the problem persist when you change browsers?

Baby Luigi said:
What browser do you use? Does the problem persist when you change browsers?
chrome
and it happens across browsers as I have checked that before

One more question: does it happen across different devices?

If it does, you should contact your internet provider. It might be a problem with your router or your service.

Baby Luigi said:
One more question: does it happen across different devices?

If it does, you should contact your internet provider. It might be a problem with your router or your service.
No, only on my laptop

Then it's possible that your laptop has problems.

I've googled it, and have you tried this yet?

https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-fix-dns-probe-finished-no-internet-in-chrome/

i get that error a lot

usually resetting my router tempfixes it, but i know of no permanent fix, unless you install a second router like me, or buy a new one altogether.

Baby Luigi said:
Then it's possible that your laptop has problems.

I've googled it, and have you tried this yet?

https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-fix-dns-probe-finished-no-internet-in-chrome/
my laptop probably does have a problem and idk what though
I have tried all those things before but no luck, or it fixes temporarily and then starts up again

Eri Ayase said:
i get that error a lot

usually resetting my router tempfixes it, but i know of no permanent fix, unless you install a second router like me, or buy a new one altogether.
yeah, i guess i could restart the router, even though my brother would kill me if he was using the internet at that time

Ok my brother was out so i restarted the router and it is still pretty inconsistent
It is starting to worry me though as if it gets worse it might end up like it was on my old laptop when no images loaded at all

Have you tried Windows' network diagnosing tools?

When you rightclick on the network icon in the tray and then click "Solve problems" (or something of that sense), it might get solved, it works for me every so often when the router acts stupid again.

solvenetworkproblems.png

(if you connect via Wifi, it will be an icon of signal-strength instead)

Lakituthequick said:
Have you tried Windows' network diagnosing tools?

When you rightclick on the network icon in the tray and then click "Solve problems" (or something of that sense), it might get solved, it works for me every so often when the router acts stupid again.

solvenetworkproblems.png

(if you connect via Wifi, it will be an icon of signal-strength instead)
I tried this when it was playing up again and it said 'dns is not responding' but didn't say any solutions or anything

I don't know that error specificly but it's possible that the thing that stores DNS entries in your computer is full and needs to be cleaned out (it would be the first thing I'd do whenever I saw a DNS issue).

To do that, go to your command prompt.
- Win7: Start->Run->type 'cmd'
- Win8: Right click the Windows button in the corner of the desktop -> Command Prompt
- Win10: Something similar to the above two (prob)

Then when you're in there, type 'ipconfig /flushdns' and that should clean it out.

If that didn't help, you can do this. It's a bit more involved but it won't screw up your computer with a misstep so don't worry about that:
Another problem might be with your Internet Provider's DNS server (the thing that makes an address, ie: www.marioboards.com, point to it's IP address) is shoddy, which you can change. I personally use Google's one and that seems to be the most recommended. You can read a bit about it here if you're interested.

To configure that, go to your Control Panel
- Win7: Start->Settings(I think?)->Control Panel
- Win8: Right click the Windows logo->Control Panel
- Win10: Something like the above (prob)

Click on 'Network and Internet'

In the Search bar, type in 'View Network Connections' and click the result when it pops up

You'll probably see a result like 'Ethernet', 'WiFi', etc. Right click the one you're connected to (or do it for all of them)

This is where it gets a bit tricky. In the menu there will be a list of things under the message, 'This connection uses the following items.' From here, find something that says something like:
- Internet Protocol (IP) / Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4)
- Internet Protocol Version 6 / IPv6
You may have both, in which case, you should do this for both of them

If you have IP / IPv4 (you most likely do), click it and click 'Properties'
Click 'Use the following DNS server addresses'
Type in the following:
First entry: 8.8.8.8
Second entry: 8.8.4.4
Click 'Ok' to accept and go back
After you've gone back, click 'Close' to apply the changes

If you have IPv6, click it and click 'Properties'
Click 'Use the following DNS server addresses'
Type in the following:
First entry: 2001:4860:4860::8888
Second entry: 2001:4860:4860::8844
Click 'Ok' to accept and go back
After you've gone back, click 'Close' to apply the changes

And that's it! See if those two things help and if not, well, they're still an improvement so just gotta keep digging for the right solution

yeah, i guess i could restart the router, even though my brother would kill me if he was using the internet at that time
also tell your bro to stop being a little b, then reset the router. B) Alternatively, let him know you're going to do it, give him a few minutes to finish whatever he's doing and then reset it

I have done the first one before and it didn't work so I just gave the second one a try and hopefully that will sort it
Edit: wait... the problems started again

Same thing just happened to me. Turns out my laptop and my router were having a lot of trouble sorting out DNS stuff, or something. Here's what solved it for me:

Open the Network and Sharing Center
Click on the blue link on the right that has your network name (right next to the signal bars)
Click on properties
Click on the field that says something about IPv4 (sorry about not knowing the exact name, my computer is in Spanish)
Click on properties
Select "Use the following DNS addresses", or whatever
On Prefered DNS Server type in 8.8.8.8
On Alternatie DNS Sever type 8.8.4.4
Click on Accept

There was a long, technical explanation behind this but I forgot it.

EDIT: If this is not clear tell me and I can post screenshots.

Hobbes said:
There was a long, technical explanation behind this but I forgot it.
I have a short version.

DNS turns a textual address (www.marioboards.com) into a number (74.50.124.63) that your computer uses to connect to.
This is done by remote servers, of which Lily's apparently failed somewhat.
8.8.8.8 is the DNS of Google, and Google tends to have a reliable uptime, so one can trust it to work pretty much always.

My spoiler said to do that from the PC level which should have overridden the one on her router anyway (and wouldn't affect the other devices which were still working). It doesn't hurt to try it at the router level as well (and would actually be better because Google's are the best ones anyway) but I'm not sure if that is the problem.

Another thing you could try is resetting your network adapter to a clean state, because sometimes it can be affected by viruses, registry changes, and other problems. There's instructions for that here. See how you go.

Back