Game Boy Cartridge Batteries

BEEEEEAAARRRS

how about a rousing game of pool
Has anyone lost data from their cartridge losing its battery charge yet? I've been curious, since Game Boy games are the only ones I've heard of that are supposed to be at the end of their lifespan by now

several of my gen iii pokemon games have died, as has my silver cart.

i don't actually own any original gb games with battery, i don't think.

No but I remember that SlimKirby's Pokemon Yellow died during his Blue let's play (in like 2011), but he was granted one last visit to his save file so he could rescue all his "version exclusive" pokemon he couldn't get in blue nor red for reasons.

youu know its funny nate cause i was looking for my ruby the other day and i foudn it and i put it in but it said the battery went dry or something i forgot exactly

ill still never forget my face when my gold cart lost all my pokemon
all my memories ;_;
i cant even save on it anymore
so sad but atleast i got heartgold after

my yellow version still has a working file, oddly

Fox Mulder said:
several of my gen iii pokemon games have died, as has my silver cart.

i don't actually own any original gb games with battery, i don't think.

GBA games dying seems strange, I thought only original Game Boy games were supposed to die by now

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
since Game Boy games are the only ones I've heard of that are supposed to be at the end of their lifespan by now

There's been reports of SNES and N64 battery backup batteries dying since quite a while (my SMW's cart one went bad like 5 years ago). They're easily replaceable, tho.

On GBA Pokémon games, it doesn't really matter if the internal battery runs out anyways because you can still save and you don't lose your save. The only thing that happens is clock based events don't occur (on one hand, it's much easier to get Feebas because his location doesn't change, but on the other hand, you can only access one part of Shoal Cave and berries won't regrow) and the annoying message appears every time you start the game.

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
all of my GBA games are fine, even my LeafGreen

LeafGreen doesn't have an internal battery, but Ruby Sapphire and Emerald do

Also Gen 2 games die more quickly because the clock.

Glowsquid said:
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
since Game Boy games are the only ones I've heard of that are supposed to be at the end of their lifespan by now

There's been reports of SNES and N64 battery backup batteries dying since quite a while (my SMW's cart one went bad like 5 years ago). They're easily replaceable, tho.

yeah, you just need some funky screwdriver or something

one thing that I found funny was that while SNES and N64 games may be beginning to die, I read that NES games are supposed to still have like 50 years left on them

Glitchy said:
On GBA Pokémon games, it doesn't really matter if the internal battery runs out anyways because you can still save

but how?

Yeah, I can still save with my Emerald game (I even played it about a month ago), but time-based events won't happen. That means you can never grow berries, do the lottery, visit Mirage Island, or evolve Umbreon or Espeon in the game again.

I have some pretty old gameboy games with some working batteries. *knock on wood* Same applies to my Snes games.

Gamefreak75 said:
Yeah, I can still save with my Emerald game (I even played it about a month ago), but time-based events won't happen. That means you can never grow berries, do the lottery, visit Mirage Island, or evolve Umbreon or Espeon in the game again.

That's what my Pokemon Ruby told me after I booted it up again sometime ago.

Back