Author Topic: Suggestions for next year  (Read 10601 times)

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for next year
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 11:43:47 AM »
eh, yeah, that does make sense so my mind changed again yeah

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
Also I like that people are wanting to see more awards, but yeah the there's time, the work that goes into them that no one sees, and that getting people to actually do the presentations without stretching the same few people even thinner is quite a concern.  It was a struggle this year getting people to sign up, to the point where we had to desperately offer a bribe in the form of tokens, and even that barely chipped away and like half of the people that ate into that bribe ended up dropping 2 weeks later.  I'd be game for swapping awards in/out, and the only way I'd be cool with bumping UP or Fail up some more is if we could reach the next level of +5 and actually have all 5 be strong, not just fillers so we can weasel in 1 that people want.
In the past, has there been this much struggle getting people to sign up for the presentations? It could be that there was just bad timing with peoples' RL business and/or other wiki things like the Shroom's 100th and 101st issues (the latter of which only got pushed back last minute, which was a smart move, but having it be automatically scheduled a week after the anniversary could make it easier for writers to commit to awards).

We already had Favorite Fad which was axed a while ago because it just wasn't strong, and I'm not sure if I'd be cool with nominated "memes" that are entirely based on ridiculing someone who is still an active community member.  I don't think that would be good PR.
Good points.

Also, it'd be nice to have some more awards for wiki editors and wiki/forum/chat staff besides the one retired user award and one community achievement award - which are both shared with culture icons / popular kids / big wigs, and so, means that folks who simply work hard without cultivating a big community presence on the side via chat, Shroom, forum posts, art skillz and/or wiki fiction have no hope in hell of getting more than a couple votes, if that.

I mean, the Shroom gives an award to a new writer, a veteran writer and a retired writer, a director, a core staff / team subdirector - and one or their teams as a whole, plus an individual's section that use images well, and of course the person of the year award. That's a lot of chances for recognition for doing something that the staff and writers would do anyway out of sheer love of the job - and similarly, while editing and doing staff bsns should be its own reward first and foremost, it'd still be nice if there was a chance for the folks who merely work hard at what they do to get some credit too.

We tried doing that with the U10 and S10 awards already this year, with making them more contemporary and pretty much achievements within the last year or so, which gave people who haven't been able to rank up a laundry list of administrative positions a shot at recognition.  As for people who do hard work without cultivating a big community presence I...really don't know how to address that, because isn't it within the wording right there that they don't have a large presence?  How would they be nominated?  Who would be?  Like guess I just really don't understand what kind of people you're referring too if you're excluding those who "[cultivate] a big community presence on the side via chat, Shroom, forum posts, art skillz and/or wiki fiction."  I'd be up for that new award if it can be created while reaching the minimum amount with strong nominees.

I'm also not really sure what you mean by "Also, it'd be nice to have some more awards for wiki editors and wiki/forum/chat staff besides the one retired user award and one community achievement award - which are both shared with culture icons / popular kids / big wigs (...)" because as far as I can recall everyone in U10 has put in a lot of work within at least one of the administrative teams, and no one is being recognized just simply because they're popular posters.  If you mean you'd like an award for people who do a lot of work but keep to themselves or aren't as widely popular I'd really need to see nominees and perhaps a more clear definition for it.  It'd also need to be considered too that if the nominee is someone who does a lot of work but really pays absolutely no attention to the community at all outside of the pages they're editing info on, is it even worth it creating an award for them or nominating them for it?

In addition I just don't really see the staff ones working because I'm envisioning them to have polarized winners, or the real basis of them would not even be visible to the public, and the wiki editing award while I can see working, I don't really think it would fit in Userpedia or Shroom Awards.  Yes, Userpedia awards have become a bit more diluted towards 'Community Awards', but they're not.  A new venue would have to be made for them, or Userpedia Awards would have to be rebranded, and I'm not sure I like that 2nd option.

((P.S.  This was kind of stream of consciousness so soz if I asked the same question multiple times or answered them myself or whatevs))
At the very least, it'd be cool to see some sort of legacy award for long-time users who aren't retired, yet who have been around for so long and are still here, toiling away, but not necessarily with any sort of spotlight (but maybe with one in the past, or maybe never). U10 used to cover them too, but not anymore, since it shifted its focus to current community presence, but looking at U1 and U10 now, there's a few names missing that really should be somewhere.

Again, if an award title is crafted and nominees are suggested I'd be able to make a better decision because right now I can't really see it myself.

Also just covering my ass, before anyone snaps back at what I'm saying keep in mind that I'm also trying to play devil's advocate because it's safer to question big new ideas rather than just accepting them because they sound nice in theory.  I'd like for them to be structural sound all the way around.
But that's my point: the fact that U10 now skews only towards contemporary people excludes any long-time folks who aren't retired, yet who aren't still in the thick of things, and yet upon whose backs the community was built. Yeah, there's merit to giving kudos to people who get involved in everything, so a community achievement award makes sense, but being social and having a finger in every pie isn't the be-all and end-all of being part of this wiki. The fact is that having a laundry list of stuff really does tip the scales in your favour: just look at the dossiers and tell me, honestly, that someone with 10 bullet points doesn't look more deserving of kudos than one with 3, no matter how impressive those three may be once you take the time to read them - and even then, things like "been an admin for X years" can't convey how much came out of those X years. I mean folks like (off the top of my head) Ghost Jam, Glowsquid, KPH, L151, Stooben Rooben (although he'll probably qualify for U10 next year anyway), numerous non-admin users, and all the retired U1 folks who got 0 votes despite largely being responsible for much of the policies and content that the wiki was built on - people who built this place and shaped the community, and who kept it running for years and/or are still keeping it running, but without doing anything showy/iconic/etc. on the side anymore (if ever).

It's like in high school when it didn't matter if you had a 90% graduating average - only the people who did that and worked 200 hours in soup kitchens and played sports got scholarships. Yeah, good for the extroverted over-achievers, they deserve awards, but do the merely studious book-worms deserve nothing?

I just don't see why the UP awards can't also recognize community members who have given and who still give to the Super Mario Wiki in less visible, but still important ways. And as for your worries about the staff awards, you said so yourself in the UP awards thread that these awards are already polarizing by nature. And the Shroom's got two dedicated staff awards without sparking rioting in the streets, so why not the other staff teams? It's a pretty thankless and periodically unpleasant job to be an admin - simply having the recognition of dedicated wiki/forum/chat staff award(s), regardless of who wins, would be a nice gesture, imho.

Duskull

• Spooky Ghost
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshi876
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »
Personally, I think opinions should be removed from presentations, I find it kind of weird reading one and seeing the Award giver says "I thought this deserved more", or "I don't know how this got so many votes", or even their own personal thoughts on a character.

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »
While I think presenters should remain appropriate and refrain from coming off as TOO opinionated and/or unpleasant, banning all opinions outright would probably be disastrous.

People will put a part of themselves into their presentations; That's what makes the good ones so enjoyable, because we may be able to relate. If you remove that element of self-expression, the presentations might become too clinical, and at that point you might as well just have a list and maybe some flavor text, and nothing else.

"To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation."
 --G. C. Lichtenberg

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
  • "Stuff it, sponge brain!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 06:09:18 PM »
Personally, I think opinions should be removed from presentations, I find it kind of weird reading one and seeing the Award giver says "I thought this deserved more", or "I don't know how this got so many votes", or even their own personal thoughts on a character.

I think all I did was say that I didn't think Sluggers, but then said I understand why it had hate. I think I also said Daisy can be annoying.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:11:06 PM by Glitchy »

• #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • although it can do nothing but a ram attack, it makes a nuisance of itself by aimlessly wandering everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
tbh if getting presenters was as difficult as anton said, adding more restrictions to presentations probably isn't feasible anyway

regarding wiki contributors who don't have that big of a community presence, i think it could be cool to recognise those people. my concern is the informed...ness of the voters. this is already something that has been a problem for the community awards in general, but i feel like it would be particularly acute with this award. maybe things have changed since i was active on the wiki, or maybe i was just a weird contributor, but i never really had much awareness of what other people were doing. so long as they weren't vandalising or talking directly to me, i pretty much didn't notice anyone else. so for me, it would have been very difficult to make an informed choice about an award like "Best Wiki Editor". there's the dossiers, but i would question how effectively the kinds of things that make wiki editors outstanding could be conveyed in the dossier format. you can convey what people do as basic statistics like "Made 2700 edits to Kaettekita Mario Bros.", but that doesn't really tell the reader anything significant about the value of the nominee's contribution

anyway if people who are more in the loop about wiki matters think this is a non-issue, or at least a solvable issue, i'd support adding this kind of award. are pipe projects still a thing? a pipe project award would also be a nice way to recognise wiki contributors, and it would help this one to not stick out so much among the userpedia awards

also, if we decide to go forward with these types of awards but deem them not to fit under userpedia, i think the best course of action would be to unify the shroom and up awards into a single "community awards" category. that way if we've got two good new ideas for shroom, one for up, and two for the wiki, we can have 25 community awards instead of 12, 11, and 2 awards across three different categories. wiki, forum, and chat staff awards would also fit much more cleanly into that system than the current one, if we decided to include them. aside from that, u10 is already basically a community award since you could theoretically win it without ever even having acknowledged that userpedia exists. to me, it makes more sense to acknowledge that than to arbitrarily have the sole pan-community award grouped into the otherwise userpedia-specific category

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 08:47:17 PM »
No, pipe projects were scrapped a while back. We have wiki collabs, but they're pretty informal and broad: some are for reaching specific goals, some are just asking questions, discussing or providing a place to dump misc, info about broad or narrow topics, some are raising awareness about perpetual wiki things, some are just a place to flag problems, request admin/translation/etc. help, or whatever.

One way to get around problems with uninformed users, unfairly imbalanced dossiers or un-illustrative stats would be to use paragraphs instead of bulleted lists, and then aim to get roughly the same length of paragraph for every nomination. Sorry to use my own writing as an example, but I did this sorta thing in my 2013 U10 presentation, with each paragraph doing overviews about ranks and specific accomplishments, with the amount of detail varying to make up for the basic amount of stuff done. Admittedly, however, this takes a lot of work: basic stats can be gotten from Shroom writer history documents (and I have a spreadsheet for the wiki staff too) and the wiki and forum themselves, but looking through talk page histories, specific contributions and UP is also necessary. (Potentially asking people to help write their own paragraph or simply provide a list of stuff they think is noteworthy about themselves, and then simply verifying their claims and maybe adding or removing stuff could be a way to help with the process (for non-retired folks, anyway), like how the artists are asked for example pieces for that award, etc.) There's no guarantee that people will want to read the paragraphs even if we keep them on the short and succinct side, but we don't want uninformed votes anyway, and it means that lazy folks couldn't simply look at a list and vote on the longest one, since they'd all look equal superficially.

I'm still not sure why more wiki and stuff wouldn't fit in the UP awards: it's already dominated by forum or overall-community based awards anyway, but either way, I'd support the idea of simply rebranding and merging it with the Shroom awards (especially since the aforementioned community awards are largely influenced by Shroom participation already). Although tbh I dunno if there's really a need for more Shroom awards. They've got their stuff covered pretty well already (I can't think of another subject, anyway), and the newspaper having 10 / 25 community awards seems like a generous enough proportion. In fact, it kinda highlights why the UP awards sorta do deserve expansion: one single aspect of the community getting 10 awards all to itself, while the forum, wiki, chat and UP all get compacted into another set of 10 seems a bit off-balanced. If there's not enough confidence that we could make 5 more editor/staff/etc. awards (although I think we could), potentially some Shroom awards could even get replaced by a couple extra community things (i.e. the favourite special issue / past year's issue awards overlap a bit, and the image one is a bit filler-ish to me)... But I feel like that suggestion might not go down so well, hence I've been pushing for extra awards more than replacements. The current UP awards are similarly solid so pruning is a difficult prospect - I'd say remove the mafia one if we had to choose, since not everyone plays it, but I feel like that'd just mean the face game would be ruled by mafia forevermore, so maybe not, idk.

• #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • although it can do nothing but a ram attack, it makes a nuisance of itself by aimlessly wandering everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »
oh, i didn't necessarily mean that we would have any more shroom awards. its just that... everyone wants each category to have a multiple of five awards, so if we have 4 or 6 good ideas for an award, we end up having to cut a good idea or include a bad idea. with larger categories that's less likely

anyway, i guess there are more community awards than i remember, which in my opinion is just another reason to rebrand. no reason to call them what theyre not

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2015, 12:43:02 AM »
oh boy there sure is a lot to reply to now that I'm back from work, please excuse it if it's not super organized

Also I like that people are wanting to see more awards, but yeah the there's time, the work that goes into them that no one sees, and that getting people to actually do the presentations without stretching the same few people even thinner is quite a concern.  It was a struggle this year getting people to sign up, to the point where we had to desperately offer a bribe in the form of tokens, and even that barely chipped away and like half of the people that ate into that bribe ended up dropping 2 weeks later.  I'd be game for swapping awards in/out, and the only way I'd be cool with bumping UP or Fail up some more is if we could reach the next level of +5 and actually have all 5 be strong, not just fillers so we can weasel in 1 that people want.
In the past, has there been this much struggle getting people to sign up for the presentations? It could be that there was just bad timing with peoples' RL business and/or other wiki things like the Shroom's 100th and 101st issues (the latter of which only got pushed back last minute, which was a smart move, but having it be automatically scheduled a week after the anniversary could make it easier for writers to commit to awards).

It's been on a steady decline regarding peoples' participation in presentations.  I've also noticed that there's a steady incline in presentation quality though, so, !!  I'm very aware that the shroom's 100th issue put a wrench in presentation sign-ups seeing that a whole ton of people I asked directly if they want to do a presentation declined because they were doing sections for that, but I can't really declare that as "blame" and instead chalk it up to (in)convenient timing.

But that's my point: the fact that U10 now skews only towards contemporary people excludes any long-time folks who aren't retired, yet who aren't still in the thick of things, and yet upon whose backs the community was built.

Before we redefined U10 last year, it was an award based on someone's entire lifetime of contributions, we decided to redefine it because the same people won the award annually, or people doing stuff now were getting overlooked because of something someone did in 2007 which have all already had several years to get the recognition they deserve, and we thought this new version would make for more interesting, less stagnant results.

Yeah, there's merit to giving kudos to people who get involved in everything, so a community achievement award makes sense, but being social and having a finger in every pie isn't the be-all and end-all of being part of this wiki. The fact is that having a laundry list of stuff really does tip the scales in your favour: just look at the dossiers and tell me, honestly, that someone with 10 bullet points doesn't look more deserving of kudos than one with 3, no matter how impressive those three may be once you take the time to read them - and even then, things like "been an admin for X years" can't convey how much came out of those X years.

One way to get around problems with uninformed users, unfairly imbalanced dossiers or un-illustrative stats would be to use paragraphs instead of bulleted lists, and then aim to get roughly the same length of paragraph for every nomination. Sorry to use my own writing as an example, but I did this sorta thing in my 2013 U10 presentation, with each paragraph doing overviews about ranks and specific accomplishments, with the amount of detail varying to make up for the basic amount of stuff done. Admittedly, however, this takes a lot of work: basic stats can be gotten from Shroom writer history documents (and I have a spreadsheet for the wiki staff too) and the wiki and forum themselves, but looking through talk page histories, specific contributions and UP is also necessary. (Potentially asking people to help write their own paragraph or simply provide a list of stuff they think is noteworthy about themselves, and then simply verifying their claims and maybe adding or removing stuff could be a way to help with the process (for non-retired folks, anyway), like how the artists are asked for example pieces for that award, etc.) There's no guarantee that people will want to read the paragraphs even if we keep them on the short and succinct side, but we don't want uninformed votes anyway, and it means that lazy folks couldn't simply look at a list and vote on the longest one, since they'd all look equal superficially.

I sincerely doubt that the style of the dossiers have this much of an effect.

The paragraphs do look longer though for people with more stuff.  It wouldn't be fair to condense someone's list of achievements if they legitimately have them all just so they're the same character length as everyone else.  The bullet points take just as much work, and if I remember correctly I did ask you to do / fact-check yours, so that's not a feature inherent in just paragraphs.  I did that with everyone.  I did try hard to get the bullet lists to be the same length but there's only so much that can physically be done until I either start adding fluff or knocking things off.

In addition my intention was to create the dossiers for people to read them, and frankly, if they're voting solely on the length of the section and not actually reading them there's literally nothing I can do about that other than personally shame them if they tell me that's what they did.  If someone's lazy enough to do that, they're lazy enough to not even read the blocks of text.  I struggled with people too lazy to even look at the dossiers when trying to rally in chat.

I just don't see why the UP awards can't also recognize community members who have given and who still give to the Super Mario Wiki in less visible, but still important ways. And as for your worries about the staff awards, you said so yourself in the UP awards thread that these awards are already polarizing by nature. And the Shroom's got two dedicated staff awards without sparking rioting in the streets, so why not the other staff teams? It's a pretty thankless and periodically unpleasant job to be an admin - simply having the recognition of dedicated wiki/forum/chat staff award(s), regardless of who wins, would be a nice gesture, imho.

Well what I meant by polarizing by nature was that there'd be obvious winners to them, or that they couldn't be feasible with mod work being mostly private.  Shroom staff is different because they're an online magazine, not a rule and policy governing body.

While I think presenters should remain appropriate and refrain from coming off as TOO opinionated and/or unpleasant, banning all opinions outright would probably be disastrous.

People will put a part of themselves into their presentations; That's what makes the good ones so enjoyable, because we may be able to relate. If you remove that element of self-expression, the presentations might become too clinical, and at that point you might as well just have a list and maybe some flavor text, and nothing else.

There were several presentations I felt uncomfortable with for the opinion thing as well but tbh there wasn't really any time to get them altered or covered and let it slide.  If they were that noticeable and off-putting I will make it an effort next year to make sure it's toned down, but like Edo said the opinions aren't inherently bad, just need to be used with some tact.

also, if we decide to go forward with these types of awards but deem them not to fit under userpedia, i think the best course of action would be to unify the shroom and up awards into a single "community awards" category. that way if we've got two good new ideas for shroom, one for up, and two for the wiki, we can have 25 community awards instead of 12, 11, and 2 awards across three different categories. wiki, forum, and chat staff awards would also fit much more cleanly into that system than the current one, if we decided to include them. aside from that, u10 is already basically a community award since you could theoretically win it without ever even having acknowledged that userpedia exists. to me, it makes more sense to acknowledge that than to arbitrarily have the sole pan-community award grouped into the otherwise userpedia-specific category
oh, i didn't necessarily mean that we would have any more shroom awards. its just that... everyone wants each category to have a multiple of five awards, so if we have 4 or 6 good ideas for an award, we end up having to cut a good idea or include a bad idea. with larger categories that's less likely

anyway, i guess there are more community awards than i remember, which in my opinion is just another reason to rebrand. no reason to call them what theyre not

I think it should be noted that last year I wanted to change Userpedia awards to Community awards for reasons that are just now being brought up, and at the time literally no one agreed with me, or only said to me that it was a bad idea.  I'm curious as to why that shifted immediately within just this last year.  I'd be up for a rebrand of Userpedia awards into Community awards as per my idea I had last year if it's expanded by 5 which I think we can fill, and also not a merger with Shroom, as Shroom awards are already unique enough on its own and can have its own host and governing body.  If we're to go with this idea it'd need to be done fast as prep work starts in like February, and I can't successfully manage the ceremony if we're spending time we should be working on awards to instead be figuring out what the awards are about.

I really don't see how merging them would be easy to manage at all.  Like, I understand the concept and like it in theory but I just......really can't see it working and coming together nicely in a decent time.  Like the only way I could see it working would be if UP and Shroom still were separately hosted but with like 12/13 awards and then when they're finalized they're just slammed together.  Or if there's a single host it would pretty much require its own director and be done separately and ....idk about that.  We can just add 5 awards to UP and Shroom respectively and just include these wiki contributor ideas and such into whichever one seems they would fit the best into, and then just lengthen the overall ceremony time.

22 and I have been talking in length about this and I'm thinking he's gonna post next.  I just really need like a complete idea on this and how every aspect will be covered before we go forward with anything.  If there's a merger I'd assume the separate bodies that manage UP and Shroom awards would then just have to be represented within the AC and all decisions would be made by them, rather than prior and just finalizing things.  Like I said 22's probably gonna post next.

I'd really need solid award ideas with titles, definitions, and a list of nominees and why.  If there's enough then we can discuss how best to approach it, but if there's only like 1 solid idea then I can just fit it into UP this year and then we can come back to all of this change-up another year from now.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2015, 12:49:23 AM »
also just because I feel it affects the language I'm using, regarding me saying what can or can't happen next year as if I have any real control over it if I'm not director...

I plan on running again   :bowser:  Still figuring out precise details but there'll be a campaign posted in The 'Shroom when that comes out.

• #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2015, 01:35:42 AM »
i can't tell which parts of my own ideas are unclear since everything i say makes sense to me, so i'm just going to publicly address the concerns he expressed to me in chat i guess

so, he asked me how the meetings to set up the combined up/shroom awards would go, since formerly each was handled by its own staff. my thought is that up and shroom staff with an interest in the awards for their projects would just attend the same meetings as everyone else and have discussions basically similar to what happens for the mario awards. it really isn't important for them to be separately handled, because the awards meetings are a very open process anyway. anyone can attend the meetings as long as theyre not actively being disruptive, and even people who aren't committee members are allowed to vote. also the bar for entry to the awards committee is low enough that i'm sure pretty much everyone on the up and shroom staffs could get in anyway. the meetings are run right now with the understanding that people who have no interest in certain awards are free to not participate in the relevant discussions, so this shouldnt be any more of a burden on the staffs of those projects than the current system. doing it this way would make the meetings run later into the year, but it wouldn't actually be more meetings. it would just be that meetings that are already happening privately and simultaneously with the ac meetings would instead be happening publicly after the discussion of mario and fail awards

to be honest i think this would be better even if we don't end up merging up and shroom. the current system basically has the up and shroom staffs having a discussion about the awards, deciding what they want, and then sending a list of awards to the ac who discuss it again. it makes a lot more sense to me to have a single discussion, so that both staff and non-staff who have an interest in the awards can communicate freely with each other

he also asked how the community awards would be directed. i just imagined this working the way fail always has, i.e. whichever ac member volunteers can do it

another thing was "what if the shroom doesn't like having their name removed from a section of the awards". i don't think that's a problem because they're still going to have their name on ten of the awards (e.g. "favorite team" will become "favorite shroom team") because otherwise it would be confusing. but obviously i'm not proposing that we go through with this without input from the shroom staff anyway; i definitely want everyone who would be affected by this to be heard in the process

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2015, 01:41:41 AM »
01:19   Anton{Politoed}   "the current system basically has the up and shroom staffs having a discussion about the awards, deciding what they want, and then sending a list of awards to the ac who discuss it again."
01:20   Anton{Politoed}   they don't discuss it again in the same length
01:20   Anton{Politoed}   unless each team didn't do their job
01:20   _2257   i know, but i still think its silly to have two discussions
01:20   _2257   when there could be one
01:20   Anton{Politoed}   they'd have to be more productive meetings
01:20   Anton{Politoed}   and expect to go on longer than they already do
01:21   Anton{Politoed}   maybe another 2 weeks
01:21   Anton{Politoed}   which I don't see as a problem
01:22   Anton{Politoed}   that it would just mean more meetings would need to be made
01:23   Anton{Politoed}   "he also asked who would direct the "community awards"."
01:23   Anton{Politoed}   my question wasn't really about exactly who
01:23   _2257   i wouldnt phrase it like that because its not really
01:23   Anton{Politoed}   so I don't think the rest of that part is like
01:23   Anton{Politoed}   relevant ?
01:23   _2257   more meetings
01:23   Anton{Politoed}   what I meant with that question was like
01:23   _2257   its just
01:23   Anton{Politoed}   would there even be a host
01:23   _2257   meetings that were already happening would now be under the auspices of the ac
01:23   Anton{Politoed}   or would it just be governed by the director/sub-director as the mario awards are
01:23   Anton{Politoed}   no it is more meetings
01:24   Anton{Politoed}   because instead of the two discussions happening simultaneously
01:24   Anton{Politoed}   it's now one at a time
01:24   _2257   but thats still the same number of meetings, they just take place over a longer time period
01:24   Anton{Politoed}   that's what I mean
01:24   _2257   ok
01:24   Anton{Politoed}   we wouldn't end meetings as soon as we have been
01:24   Anton{Politoed}   AC meetings that is
01:25   _2257   also ok yeah i was imagining there would be some kind of community awards director position
01:25   _2257   just like there always has been

01:26   Anton{Politoed}   what would fail be then
01:26   Anton{Politoed}   like would that have a separate host
01:28   _2257   ok i was honestly imagining that fail and community would each have a host who was not also awards director
01:29   _2257   mario could too if you want
01:29   _2257   but you do whatever you want

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2015, 03:26:02 AM »
had a discussion in chat and tl;dr shroom won't merge so let's go with some other idea

or not change anything !

Chiaki Nanami

• Super High School Level Gamer
  • #mwchat Operator
  • Star Spirit
  • RandomYoshi
  • Sweden? More like Memeden.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
ok so, explain this to me

Userpedia Awards U#
'Shroom Awards S#
Fail Awards F#
Mario Awards A#

???????? why is this ????? why isn't it M# ??????

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »
Since next year is the 10th Mario Awards, it is maybe a good idea to broaden the awards by also including some general Nintendo stuff.

I was thinking something along the lines of "favorite Nintendo franchise", Mario excluded, for example. I personally think this could work as an one-off thing to be included with the main awards.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »

Userpedia Awards U#
'Shroom Awards S#
Fail Awards F#
Mario Awards A#

I thought the same thing but I think it's just because that's for "Awards" and then the other ceremonies got added on later

Since next year is the 10th Mario Awards, it is maybe a good idea to broaden the awards by also including some general Nintendo stuff.

I was thinking something along the lines of "favorite Nintendo franchise", Mario excluded, for example. I personally think this could work as an one-off thing to be included with the main awards.

These are not the NIWA awards, if you'd like awards like that go ask NIWA to do a show.

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
hey it was just an idea. Besides that, aren't we a part of NIWA?  :yoshi:

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »
it's an ok idea, it's just simply outside of our scope

Chiaki Nanami

• Super High School Level Gamer
  • #mwchat Operator
  • Star Spirit
  • RandomYoshi
  • Sweden? More like Memeden.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »

Userpedia Awards U#
'Shroom Awards S#
Fail Awards F#
Mario Awards A#

I thought the same thing but I think it's just because that's for "Awards" and then the other ceremonies got added on later
But why is it still inconsistent with the other categories?

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 03:30:13 PM »

Userpedia Awards U#
'Shroom Awards S#
Fail Awards F#
Mario Awards A#

But why is it still inconsistent with the other categories?

because no one cares