Author Topic: Suggestions for next year  (Read 10600 times)

Stargazing

• One who claims to know everything... really knows nothing at all.
  • Celestial Guide
  • Galaxy Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for next year
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 12:25:20 AM »
they automatically do that for some reason

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 12:25:40 AM »
*something about polls, I have logs somewhere but basically we found out that the main page polls get us a massive majority of the votes in a fairly short window of time, so that needs to be prioritized and then organized/automated with/by the poll committee

I will definitely make this a priority to discuss and work on between both the Poll Committee and Awards Committee, and I will definitely be a liaison in order to get this figured out and planned ahead and good to go come next year.

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 02:45:18 AM »
I second LTQ for those timezones.
Gamefreak told me in PM the time of my presentation was PST (GMT-8), so I did the calculation and told Smg2daisy her presentation was at her 10:40 AM. But then I see the times in the ceremony were not matching, I realize the time said in the PM was not PST actually it was PDT (*bleep* daylight saving time). So Smg2daisy real time was 9:40 AM but she was sleeping when I told her I was wrong. She missed to post her presentation.

So yeah, be more careful when you post times next years or try to do Lakituthequick's suggestion.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 02:50:41 AM »
yeah daylight savings will do that, especially when it's things like Eastern where EST is short for literally "Eastern" and also "Eastern Standard Time", and people here don't even acknowledge whether it's daylight savings or not when saying it so I guess that wasn't really a mishap with gamefreak but like......a language quirk???  idk 22 will know more about that

I'll put effort into learning about the time tags because it's looking like the convenience will outweigh the effort, and that's my cue to do something about it.

Chiaki Nanami

• Super High School Level Gamer
  • #mwchat Operator
  • Star Spirit
  • RandomYoshi
  • Sweden? More like Memeden.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 07:18:53 AM »
Next time, lock the GTR topic once the festivities have started. You can't edit them once it's started, so why should the thread not be locked?

Chiaki Nanami

• Super High School Level Gamer
  • #mwchat Operator
  • Star Spirit
  • RandomYoshi
  • Sweden? More like Memeden.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 08:36:11 AM »
Favourite/least favourite Donkey Kong series level, y/n?

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
more fail awards, make different categories for worst game so that it's not all clustered into the same award anymore (ex. "Worst Spin-off" includes *bleep* like mario is missing, "Worst Main Series Game").
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:21:02 PM by Eri Ayase »

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
Maybe on Favorite Partner Developer include one of their most popular Mario series next to each one? It was a bit hard to remember who did what when voting.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
Next time, lock the GTR topic once the festivities have started. You can't edit them once it's started, so why should the thread not be locked?

because conversations and updates can still go on, it's not my responsibility to prevent someone from cheating, just punishing them for it

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 03:08:06 PM »
For the time zones, another option is to just go by GMT/UTC. The wiki's been using it for proposals for years: it's a simple conversion to find (like, Google "EST" and you don't even need to click on the Wikipedia link to get the "UTC−05:00" result), and it just seems neutral and fair rather than choosing one of the NA time zones for one reason or another.

Another option individuals can do is change your preferences to whatever time zone's being used: on the wiki, I've had it set to GMT for years - that way I don't need to do the conversion by hand or look it up (although at this point, I can do it automatically anyway, but still, it's nice to have confirmation. I also have multiple clocks set up on my computer showing the time zones I'm interested in in addition to my current time: that's pretty easy to do too.

1: remove the obvious protagonist options for the "Favourite ___ series characters" options. I mean, Donkey Kong is a Donkey KOng character and Wario is a Wario character but... gah, it just seems wrong.
Agreed.

To reiterate on Anton's final point, what we suggested was the Poll Committee basically goes on hiatus during the awards poll voting. That way we can prioritize the Mario and fail awards poll and prevent them from getting pitiful results (i.e. going from ~2400 votes last year to ~600 votes this year).

Like Anton said a few posts up, what we had noticed was that in a matter of <12 hours, the votes for some of the awards nearly doubled because they were front and center instead of being buried under a poll that had been done for 3 months or so.
Cycling through the Mario and Fail awards seems like a much better use of the Main Page poll systems than having to scroll down below a regular poll, especially if a single regular poll just sits there like a lump. (Plus, it gives the regular polls a bit of a break to stockpile polls a bit, or however that works, so that polls don't sit around for a while.)

Nyrie

• Power Star
  • Nysic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 06:16:58 PM »
i think we need more userpedia awards. if there were to be more, maybe some sort of "favorite community poll" category.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 08:53:30 PM »
I'd be down for more UP awards.

A favourite local meme/recurring-thing award could be fun (the $3000 medal, what / head asplosion, Loic, DK-approved rainbows, sippin' time, The Baby, etc.).

Also, it'd be nice to have some more awards for wiki editors and wiki/forum/chat staff besides the one retired user award and one community achievement award - which are both shared with culture icons / popular kids / big wigs, and so, means that folks who simply work hard without cultivating a big community presence on the side via chat, Shroom, forum posts, art skillz and/or wiki fiction have no hope in hell of getting more than a couple votes, if that.

I mean, the Shroom gives an award to a new writer, a veteran writer and a retired writer, a director, a core staff / team subdirector - and one or their teams as a whole, plus an individual's section that use images well, and of course the person of the year award. That's a lot of chances for recognition for doing something that the staff and writers would do anyway out of sheer love of the job - and similarly, while editing and doing staff bsns should be its own reward first and foremost, it'd still be nice if there was a chance for the folks who merely work hard at what they do to get some credit too.

At the very least, it'd be cool to see some sort of legacy award for long-time users who aren't retired, yet who have been around for so long and are still here, toiling away, but not necessarily with any sort of spotlight (but maybe with one in the past, or maybe never). U10 used to cover them too, but not anymore, since it shifted its focus to current community presence, but looking at U1 and U10 now, there's a few names missing that really should be somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:28:00 PM by Walkazo »

Nyrie

• Power Star
  • Nysic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
^i agree with basically everything said in that post

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
  • "The hated boss who beats you down..."
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »
In regards to the time issue, PST is "Pacific Standard Time". I honestly didn't know the difference between that and pdt so apologies on that one.

1: remove the obvious protagonist options for the "Favourite ___ series characters" options. I mean, Donkey Kong is a Donkey KOng character and Wario is a Wario character but... gah, it just seems wrong.
Agreed.

To be fair, we didn't have Wario last year for this very reason. I forgot why we had added him this year, but it just only confirmed what everyone thought: the main character is just going to sweep the awards. It's why Hotel Mario was removed from Worst Game since that would always win and it still got an obscene amount of write-ins. I'll voucher for both dk's and wario's removal when meetings come around.

The problem with adding more awards is that we need to actually have people sign up for them. This year, we barely. barely passed the sign-ups and even then we had so many drop outs that some people had to take up like 5 awards. The best solution would be to swap out/rotate awards in. In regards to some people feeling that "X or Y" should be on the nominee, just say so in the General discussion topic for the next awards. You can also attend the meetings to place your vote there.

This is just me speaking and not on behalf of the awards staff.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:15:14 PM by Gamefreak75 »

Captain America

• Steve Rogers
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Avengers Assemble
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »
Not sure how much it help but I'll at least try to do more presentation next year. This was my first time actually doing a presentation so I only did the one.

Again, I'm just one person. But as you said GF, there are a lot of slots that need filling.

Zant

• King Bowser
  • Viper26
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 12:30:48 AM »
Maybe more Fail Award Presentations?

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 12:35:21 AM »

A favourite local meme/recurring-thing award could be fun (the $3000 medal, what / head asplosion, Loic, DK-approved rainbows, sippin' time, The Baby, etc.).

Also, it'd be nice to have some more awards for wiki editors and wiki/forum/chat staff besides the one retired user award and one community achievement award - which are both shared with culture icons / popular kids / big wigs, and so, means that folks who simply work hard without cultivating a big community presence on the side via chat, Shroom, forum posts, art skillz and/or wiki fiction have no hope in hell of getting more than a couple votes, if that.

I mean, the Shroom gives an award to a new writer, a veteran writer and a retired writer, a director, a core staff / team subdirector - and one or their teams as a whole, plus an individual's section that use images well, and of course the person of the year award. That's a lot of chances for recognition for doing something that the staff and writers would do anyway out of sheer love of the job - and similarly, while editing and doing staff bsns should be its own reward first and foremost, it'd still be nice if there was a chance for the folks who merely work hard at what they do to get some credit too.

At the very least, it'd be cool to see some sort of legacy award for long-time users who aren't retired, yet who have been around for so long and are still here, toiling away, but not necessarily with any sort of spotlight (but maybe with one in the past, or maybe never). U10 used to cover them too, but not anymore, since it shifted its focus to current community presence, but looking at U1 and U10 now, there's a few names missing that really should be somewhere.
Per everything Walkazo said.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 01:56:03 AM »
To be fair, we didn't have Wario last year for this very reason. I forgot why we had added him this year, but it just only confirmed what everyone thought: the main character is just going to sweep the awards. It's why Hotel Mario was removed from Worst Game since that would always win and it still got an obscene amount of write-ins. I'll voucher for both dk's and wario's removal when meetings come around.

The problem with adding more awards is that we need to actually have people sign up for them. This year, we barely. barely passed the sign-ups and even then we had so many drop outs that some people had to take up like 5 awards. The best solution would be to swap out/rotate awards in. In regards to some people feeling that "X or Y" should be on the nominee, just say so in the General discussion topic for the next awards. You can also attend the meetings to place your vote there.

This is just me speaking and not on behalf of the awards staff.

Both of the sections GF gave I agree with.  We decided to give DK and Wario a chance within their respective awards just to see what would happen and now we know.  They'll likely be removed unless the next AC has other plans.

Also I like that people are wanting to see more awards, but yeah the there's time, the work that goes into them that no one sees, and that getting people to actually do the presentations without stretching the same few people even thinner is quite a concern.  It was a struggle this year getting people to sign up, to the point where we had to desperately offer a bribe in the form of tokens, and even that barely chipped away and like half of the people that ate into that bribe ended up dropping 2 weeks later.  I'd be game for swapping awards in/out, and the only way I'd be cool with bumping UP or Fail up some more is if we could reach the next level of +5 and actually have all 5 be strong, not just fillers so we can weasel in 1 that people want.

For the time zones, another option is to just go by GMT/UTC. The wiki's been using it for proposals for years: it's a simple conversion to find (like, Google "EST" and you don't even need to click on the Wikipedia link to get the "UTC−05:00" result), and it just seems neutral and fair rather than choosing one of the NA time zones for one reason or another.

Another option individuals can do is change your preferences to whatever time zone's being used: on the wiki, I've had it set to GMT for years - that way I don't need to do the conversion by hand or look it up (although at this point, I can do it automatically anyway, but still, it's nice to have confirmation. I also have multiple clocks set up on my computer showing the time zones I'm interested in in addition to my current time: that's pretty easy to do too.

I'd be game for setting it up as GMT as well but if fussing with converting times is still really that big of a concern to people I'll figure out how to use [time], but keep in mind that that's only good for the forum.  Standardizing at GMT could cover all venues.

We already had Favorite Fad which was axed a while ago because it just wasn't strong, and I'm not sure if I'd be cool with nominated "memes" that are entirely based on ridiculing someone who is still an active community member.  I don't think that would be good PR.

We tried doing that with the U10 and S10 awards already this year, with making them more contemporary and pretty much achievements within the last year or so, which gave people who haven't been able to rank up a laundry list of administrative positions a shot at recognition.  As for people who do hard work without cultivating a big community presence I...really don't know how to address that, because isn't it within the wording right there that they don't have a large presence?  How would they be nominated?  Who would be?  Like guess I just really don't understand what kind of people you're referring too if you're excluding those who "[cultivate] a big community presence on the side via chat, Shroom, forum posts, art skillz and/or wiki fiction."  I'd be up for that new award if it can be created while reaching the minimum amount with strong nominees.

I'm also not really sure what you mean by "Also, it'd be nice to have some more awards for wiki editors and wiki/forum/chat staff besides the one retired user award and one community achievement award - which are both shared with culture icons / popular kids / big wigs (...)" because as far as I can recall everyone in U10 has put in a lot of work within at least one of the administrative teams, and no one is being recognized just simply because they're popular posters.  If you mean you'd like an award for people who do a lot of work but keep to themselves or aren't as widely popular I'd really need to see nominees and perhaps a more clear definition for it.  It'd also need to be considered too that if the nominee is someone who does a lot of work but really pays absolutely no attention to the community at all outside of the pages they're editing info on, is it even worth it creating an award for them or nominating them for it?

In addition I just don't really see the staff ones working because I'm envisioning them to have polarized winners, or the real basis of them would not even be visible to the public, and the wiki editing award while I can see working, I don't really think it would fit in Userpedia or Shroom Awards.  Yes, Userpedia awards have become a bit more diluted towards 'Community Awards', but they're not.  A new venue would have to be made for them, or Userpedia Awards would have to be rebranded, and I'm not sure I like that 2nd option.

((P.S.  This was kind of stream of consciousness so soz if I asked the same question multiple times or answered them myself or whatevs))

Again, if an award title is crafted and nominees are suggested I'd be able to make a better decision because right now I can't really see it myself.

Also just covering my ass, before anyone snaps back at what I'm saying keep in mind that I'm also trying to play devil's advocate because it's safer to question big new ideas rather than just accepting them because they sound nice in theory.  I'd like for them to be structural sound all the way around.

• #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • although it can do nothing but a ram attack, it makes a nuisance of itself by aimlessly wandering everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 04:16:57 AM »
donkey kong wasn't a new addition this year. he's been on it since favorite kong was first added and he has won every year. as for wario, he was added because in 2014 he was already doing better as a write-in than the majority of the nominees

anyway, i'm against removing them. if wario's 2014 performance is anything to go by, leaving them off won't do much more than force the staff to tally their votes manually. which is a pain in the ass because for write-in candidates, rather than having "wario: 8000000" like it gives you for nominees, polldaddy just prints the word "wario" eight million times. besides that, i don't see any benefit to removing them. it's not like we're giving out an actual prize and this year 9-volt got shafted because wario took what was rightfully his. and whether or not we try to artificially deflate wario's score, the other characters will all be ranked in the same order anyway

Smasher

• Also known as me
  • Global Moderator
  • Mushroom Princess
  • Rest in peace, Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • Smasher Land
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 08:57:19 AM »
I oppose removing them as well. 22 pretty much summed up my thoughts perfectly.