μTorrent having problems with magnet downloads

LeftyGreenMario

Working toward a diva-free community
Wiki Administrator
Pronouns
she/her
MarioWiki
Mario
μTorrent is having issues with magnet links. I'm trying to download a torrent, but nothing is actually downloading, and the progress bar is stuck at "Downloading metadata 0.0%". I've seen one solution that allegedly works, which is navigating to the %appdata%\utorrent location and deleting dht.dat and dht.dat.old (and others that suggest deleting all files with the .old extension as well). Except, that didn't do anything, which is why I'm here.

I can't find any nonmagnet links of the files I want that have seeds, so I really am stumped in this one. Can anyone help?

Don't use µTorrent. Last time I had it on my computer, it ate away all space and I had to reinstall the OS. Since then, I have been looking into a better Torrent program to use, but alas, I have not yet found the one I want.

Can't really help you because I'm using BitTorrent and I actually never had problems before (except for well not enough seeds).

I know somebody who's using uTorrent on his mac and didn't have issues either as far as I could tell but I could ask him the next time we meet.

Eri Ayase said:
Can't really help you because I'm using BitTorrent and I actually never had problems before (except for well not enough seeds).

I know somebody who's using uTorrent on his mac and didn't have issues either as far as I could tell but I could ask him the next time we meet.

We didn't have issues with uTorrent before, it just started popping up recently

We could just switch to a different one, as RandomYoshi suggested.

Baby Luigi said:
Eri Ayase said:

We didn't have issues with uTorrent before, it just started popping up recently

We could just switch to a different one, as RandomYoshi suggested.
I don't think we were using magnet links to get torrents, but yeah, we've been using μTorrent for a while. I might use an older version because F U ads.

I thought torrent's were illegal in every country.

Nintendo64Dude said:
I thought torrent's were illegal in every country.

No they're not. Torrents are simply convenient storage for multiple files. What matters is what is contained INSIDE the torrent, and that's the thing that typically gets people in hot water. It's nearly the same case as having a problem with emulation: emulators technically are not illegal but the method they are used for is often the case, more people torrent isos than dump them into their computer because it's easier and you don't need set-up that way.

Oh thanks for telling me.

Afraid I can't help OP (besides saying, maybe try another client?, which people already said anyway) but
Pi said:
Don't use µTorrent. Last time I had it on my computer, it ate away all space and I had to reinstall the OS. Since then, I have been looking into a better Torrent program to use, but alas, I have not yet found the one I want.
I never had that problem with uTorrent, but I did have lots of other problems with it and have been happy since switching to qBittorrent. It's like uTorrent before they ruined it. If you haven't already tried it I definitely recommend it.

Eri Ayase said:
Unless you're using a really ancient version, the client that's just called BitTorrent is just a rebranded version of uTorrent.

Uniju said:
Unless you're using a really ancient version, the client that's just called BitTorrent is just a rebranded version of uTorrent.

I didn't update it in forever so idk

My sister said she attempted to switch to qbittorrent but there is still a problem with the magnet links.

It's better than utorrent, without any ads and all, but it didn't solve the problem.

It could be my firewall, although I don't know how to check that.

I had this problem in Chrome once, try this: http://www.roflcopteralert.com/getting-magnet-links-to-work-with-utorrent-when-using-chrome-fixed/

Unfortunately, I looked at the Local State file, and it doesn't resemble anything in the link.

Uh we already did that, and mentioned it earlier. We had the same exact problem with qbittorrent.

Back