Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

GBA

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
supermysterydungeon.jpg

Literally announced out of nowhere, a new Mystery Dungeon game is coming to 3DS towards the end of the year (for Japan and US, EU/AU have to wait until Spring next year).

there was literally no information given about the game other than it possessing the same stuff as previous games - randomly generated dungeons and pokemon

However it's SUPER so hopefully that implies it'll be as good as the Explorers games otherwise I might skip it as well. also hoping it's not f2p

please have all the pokemans this time [nobbc]:([/nobbc]

(source)

THANK YOU GAME FREAK, I'VE WAITED FOR SO LONG ;W;

I really hope this is true to the series and as good as the Explorers game, like GBAToad said. They were absolutely amazing and I would loooove to have another great PMD game.

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic until they confirm it won't have micro transaction shit.

I'm ready for a new PMD game, I should go back and play Darkness so I can finally complete the post-game. Never did get around to it. Mystery Dungeon games are fun. With this and Etrian MD I won't be running out of MD any time soon.

better be better than gates to infinity

that game was literally a big pile of old shite

GBAToad said:
towards the end of the year (for Japan and US, EU/AU have to wait until Spring next year)
uh

why?

i mean there's translation issues for parts of the EU, but for Australia? it's literally the same fuckin' language as the US

why do they do this

I have a feeling this may not be Free-to-Start since they announced it like this, but that isn't the only thing I'm worried about.

I want this to be as good as the first two games (technically five, with two to three versions of each game). I never played Red/Blue Rescue Team (I know enough to safely say that they were very good, and I really want them on VC), but I absolutely loved Explorers of Sky. Like I said before, I cried at the end when
you die.
It's amazing that such a fantastic story was in a Pokémon spin-off of all things. The gameplay was also excellent. It was random, but it still felt fair.

Then Gates to Infinity was announced, and I gasped in glee. I got the game as soon as possible, and I was disappointed. The gameplay was worse, the story sucked (Voice of Life, WTF?), the Magnegates or whatever were executed very poorly, and overall it changed how I looked at the series as a whole. Also:

GBAToad said:
please have all the pokemans this time
Yes, they had less than 200 Pokémon. You could argue that it had to due with them all being 3D, but even if there had to be exclusions they still could have had around 300 or something. You can also, as far as I know, not recruit
the Legendary birds and the Tao dragons. You can get the two Gen 5 trios, but that's it.
Also, I think a good amount of Pokémon in this game appeared in Poképark Wii and its sequel (which, despite having only just below 200 Pokémon, were still fun games).

Then there's the starters. You get to PICK from FIVE Pokémon. First, the lack of quizzes makes what Pokémon you become less personal, and that's a flaw in my book. As for the second, that's just pathetic compared to the rosters in the previous three (yes, there's this WiiWare title as well that may or may not be worse, but I did hear that across the three versions that you can link into one game have all Pokémon up until that point).

I will admit that the Pokémon Paradise was a pretty cool idea, but I do wish you could do a bit more with how you approach building it. It may just be me, but I really wanted to allow Pokémon I recruited to take the stands instead of preset ones. Maybe it's an option later on that I missed, but eh. Probably not.

Some of the dungeons in this game also had outside areas. I guess they were kind of interesting, but they honestly didn't add much. There was also this wave feature once you beat the game or something among those lines. I don't know; I got to the final stretch and didn't want to finish it off. Maybe I'll do it now that this has been announced.

There was also DLC for this game, and based on what I've read (I didn't waste my money) they don't add much.

Overall, I did not like Gates to Infinity and I am worried about this game's quality regardless of it being free or not.

I honestly can't get myself hyped after Gates to Infinity. Please be like the first two generations (Blue/Red and EOS/T/d).

I've always thought the series dropped in quality after Red and Blue Rescue Team. In Explorers, the ----ing Wigglytuff Guild just pissed me off to no end and they made all sorts of bad changes (along with some good ones I admit) that just made me go "uuggghhh".

Then Gates of Infinity came and everyone knew THAT was a disappointment. At least it's better than the ----ty WiiWare titles where they used the ----ty Pokemon Ranch models. I wish Pokemon games would just stop using Pokemon Ranch models, it's not cute, it's freaking ugly.

I hope this game will turn out good though. Gates of Infinity DID look promising but it's upsetting that it turned out to be really awful.

I really can't be the only one who was fine with Gates to Infinity. Sure, I do agree that it's the weakest in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, but I don't think it's utter crap.

And I don't mean to jinx it, but please no microtransactions, or at least, in the way Shuffle and Rumble World did it. (DLC would be ok in my book.)

I don't think it's utter crap either, it's just a big disappointment. It could draw new people in, it has that appeal still. But compared to the other games, yeah, as you said, it's most certainly the weakest.

I hope it's like the first two generations. I might've played Gates to Infinity if the starter roster wasn't so pathetic. I mean, at least that game removed hunger. One more thing it needs to do is freaking nerf some traps.

I don't see the glowing praise for second generation though. They made so much questionable changes such as removal of Friend Areas (although the list and evolving is much more convenient), losing hold items after a dungeon is completed, limited storage, IQ groups (Trap Seer should be a component for EVERY Pokemon), giving IQ skills to enemy Pokemon, and you can't even play as the Pokemon you want to use for a dungeon in the main area.

Mario Party Σ said:
I don't see the glowing praise for second generation though. They made so much questionable changes such as removal of Friend Areas (although the list and evolving is much more convenient), losing hold items after a dungeon is completed, limited storage, IQ groups (Trap Seer should be a component for EVERY Pokemon), giving IQ skills to enemy Pokemon, and you can't even play as the Pokemon you want to use for a dungeon in the main area.
i don't remember much of Blue Rescue Team because it's been years since i've last played it but to me, most of these changes (specifically iq groups and the list/evolving) were improvements so different strokes. i swear that you don't lose hold items after a dungeon is completed otherwise I'd've lost my purple bow and I still have it

well it looks like there's evidence that this'll be a retail title so hopefully there's no microtransactions

for me, there has to be more starter options before i'll consider purchasing it, not being able to select from a wide range of pokemon in Infinity Gates was seriously disappointing. the personality quiz was charming but i won't be too upset if it doesn't return

GBAToad said:
Mario Party Σ said:
i don't remember much of Blue Rescue Team because it's been years since i've last played it but to me, most of these changes (specifically iq groups and the list/evolving) were improvements so different strokes. i swear that you don't lose hold items after a dungeon is completed otherwise I'd've lost my purple bow and I still have it

well it looks like there's evidence that this'll be a retail title so hopefully there's no microtransactions

for me, there has to be more starter options before i'll consider purchasing it, not being able to select from a wide range of pokemon in Infinity Gates was seriously disappointing. the personality quiz was charming but i won't be too upset if it doesn't return
No, you don't lose your hold item, but when you complete a dungeon, your hold item isn't held anymore. It's really annoying.

I don't really like the personality quiz. There was a Pokemon I really like in Red/Blue that suited my personality (Timid -> Mudkip), and it changed to Lonely (although I am a pretty lonely person). But again, I did answer the personality quiz honestly and got Piplup (Quirky), who I really like and is also an aspect of my personality, so no qualms. I just don't want to get things like Munchlax, Skitty, Charmander, or Chimchar, or Pikachu.

I believe I got Shinx when I did it quite a which is cool because Shinx is one of my favourites, but I bet it would change if I did it again. Eevee is always my partner.

EDIT: I looked it up on Bulbapedia and Shinx is Hasty. I think if I did it now I would get Cyndaquil which is Timid or Chikorita, which is Calm. I think I like Shinx more then them though.

Blue/Red Rescue Team had a bunch of shitty dungeons like Joyous Tower where you were brought down to Level 1 and could only bring a few items. If you died you lost every item in your inventory. Joyous Tower was also the only way you could recruit several Pokemon, mostly the starters. You also had to complete two of these for Jirachi and Celebi. There were also ungodly amounts of 99 floor dungeons like Buried Relic and wherever Mewtwo was in. And if you don't manage to befriend the Pokemon on the 99th floor like I did, you have to restart it.

EoS/T/d did away with this and concentrated all the bullshit into one dungeon (Zero Isles) which you never have to go to if you don't want to as there are no Pokemon there to recruit. That alone is a vast improvement.

Gamefreak75 said:
Blue/Red Rescue Team had a bunch of shitty dungeons like Joyous Tower where you were brought down to Level 1 and could only bring a few items. If you died you lost every item in your inventory. Joyous Tower was also the only way you could recruit several Pokemon, mostly the starters. You also had to complete two of these for Jirachi and Celebi. There were also ungodly amounts of 99 floor dungeons like Buried Relic and wherever Mewtwo was in. And if you don't manage to befriend the Pokemon on the 99th floor like I did, you have to restart it.

Sounds very "joyous" indeed.

Listen to the damn music for it. The sounds of endless screams are mixed in.

The video says Makuhita dojo but this the music that plays in that hellhole.

What's worse, Joyous Tower or Purity Forest?

Purity Forest has all of those bullcrap limitations but that means you have nothing to lose other than your sanity.

I really hate those level one dungeons. The game claims that it makes it more skill-based but in reality it's actually more like, hope you don't get unlucky and fall into a sticky trap or pp zero trap or monster house or you're screwed. That's what it amounts to, endless tedium and sheer luck. It's not fun at all.

Hell, the funnest way to go through purity forest is using an Alakazam + Teleport/Warp Scarf/Warp Seed combo.

Gamefreak75 said:
Blue/Red Rescue Team had a bunch of *bleep*ty dungeons like Joyous Tower where you were brought down to Level 1 and could only bring a few items. If you died you lost every item in your inventory. Joyous Tower was also the only way you could recruit several Pokemon, mostly the starters. You also had to complete two of these for Jirachi and Celebi. There were also ungodly amounts of 99 floor dungeons like Buried Relic and wherever Mewtwo was in. And if you don't manage to befriend the Pokemon on the 99th floor like I did, you have to restart it.

EoS/T/d did away with this and concentrated all the bull*bleep* into one dungeon (Zero Isles) which you never have to go to if you don't want to as there are no Pokemon there to recruit. That alone is a vast improvement.
That's very true. But doesn't Mewtwo have a high recruitment rate anyway?

Western Cave is actually that dungeon I use to help grind my Articuno to Level 100 (same goes for Silver Trench). Agility+Powder Snow destroys monster houses in Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue, so lol.

I also really disliked Joyous Tower for its music, its restrictions, its high amount of Pokemon that are found exclusively there, and... well... everything. Painful and obnoxious.

Oh, two more improvements over the first game: you can send recruited Pokemon back (in the first one, you had to use an Escape Orb or clear the dungeon without your recruited Pokemon dying). Finally, recruitment rates for fully evolved Pokemon is actually possible. If not, there are some cases of, like, level 50 Bagons, so no intense grinding needed to get Salamence or something.

We can all agree that "Joyous Tower" is inappropriately named, as Glitchy first said.

It's ---ing annoying that the only way you can get a Torchic is by going to that ----ty dungeon to recruit them.

I guess all Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games have their own problems. However, I think the thing that needs the most "improvement" are the stupid randomly generated hidden traps. Seal Traps, Pokemon Traps, Poison Darts, they're ok, minor annoyances, yeah, they're easily dealt with. However, the traps like PP Zero Traps, Sticky Glue Traps, and Grimy Traps can all burn in Hell.

Speaking of traps, the game did have the insanity to put traps in Joyous Tower. Your IQ is reset to zero, after all, so you don't have Trap Seer.

Gamefreak75 said:

Listen to the damn music for it. The sounds of endless screams are mixed in.

The video says Makuhita dojo but this the music that plays in that hellhole.
My.

Baby Luigi said:
I guess all Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games have their own problems. However, I think the thing that needs the most "improvement" are the stupid randomly generated hidden traps. Seal Traps, Pokemon Traps, Poison Darts, they're ok, minor annoyances, yeah, they're easily dealt with. However, the traps like PP Zero Traps, Sticky Glue Traps, and Grimy Traps can all burn in Hell.
Yes!

Back