Author Topic: Tournaments  (Read 13084 times)

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »
For what it's worth, I have every full intention to research as much as possible on Friday (which will be the first free day I can work on Pokemon stuff since I will be done a three-page essay for my senior project). I plan to go through a bulk of stuff in figuring out compatibility issues with DragonFreak and then I will try to figure out what our best possible situation is. I still am on the fence about the uber stuff, as I honestly do prefer just having a simple single/double tournament layout like we did back in 2013, with legendaries banned (as that seems to be the most reasonable thing). An issue I have with the uber tier is that there are some Pokemon who are not legendaries who are banned (pretty sure Aegislash is one of those) - I don't know if that's because of a certain ability or something, but I'm not too big on having to ban non-legendary Pokemon.

Also, for what it's worth, I have to expand on Anton's point on that it still seems like the majority consensus is that there are more non-Smogon interested players out there than there are Smogon interested players; and personally, it is much easier to accustom to the path of non-Smogon players because I believe Smogon players can adjust a bit easier to those rules than a non-Smogon player could adjust to the rules of Smogon, if that makes sense.

Everything is still up in the air of course and decisions have yet to be made, but that's currently where I stand! :P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:56:20 PM by Nino »

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
  • "Stuff it, sponge brain!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »
Aegislash is banned because if you play it right, it has essentially 150 Atk/Sp. Atk, and 150 Def/Sp. Def. It wants low speed because it's ability benefits it, and I'm pretty sure it's HP is average.

Greninja is just flat out broken with Protean, but we could make it so only Torrent is allowed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:00:46 PM by Glitchy »

NEXandGBX

• Honoka’s #1 Fan
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2015, 07:00:40 PM »
Aegislash is banned because if you play it right, it has essentially 150 Atk/Sp. Atk, and 150 Def/Sp. Def. It wants low speed because it's ability benefits it, and I'm pretty sure it's HP is average.
I actually think Aegislash is getting suspected to come back to OU.

Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
Oh, really? I haven't been following the competitive community that much lately and the last stance (:dk:) of Aegislash I've seen is it was outright broken.

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
For what it's worth, I have every full intention to research as much as possible on Friday (which will be the first free day I can work on Pokemon stuff since I will be done a three-page essay for my senior project). I plan to go through a bulk of stuff in figuring out compatibility issues with DragonFreak and then I will try to figure out what our best possible situation is. I still am on the fence about the uber stuff, as I honestly do prefer just having a simple single/double tournament layout like we did back in 2013, with legendaries banned (as that seems to be the most reasonable thing). An issue I have with the uber tier is that there are some Pokemon who are not legendaries who are banned (pretty sure Aegislash is one of those) - I don't know if that's because of a certain ability or something, but I'm not too big on having to ban non-legendary Pokemon.

Also, for what it's worth, I have to expand on Anton's point on that it still seems like the majority consensus is that there are more non-Smogon interested players out there than there are Smogon interested players; and personally, it is much easier to accustom to the path of non-Smogon players because I believe Smogon players can adjust a bit easier to those rules than a non-Smogon player could adjust to the rules of Smogon, if that makes sense.

Everything is still up in the air of course and decisions have yet to be made, but that's currently where I stand! :P

Okay. And about the games, which one you allow? XY or ORAS? The new Mega in ORAS can't be used if the other used X & Y.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
From what I've gathered, the new Mega Evolutions, new items (I'm not too sure what the new items are exactly, I still need to find those out), and three new moves (which would be eliminated if we were to ban legendaries) are the only compatibility issues between X/Y and ORAS. If that's really all there is, it may be way more beneficial to just ban mega evolutions altogether (and whatever the items are) so both X/Y and ORAS can be used for the tournament, because that would allow for a larger turnout of players, I believe. It also makes things a little fairer, I think, in the off chance that somebody has a Mega on their team and someone else doesn't.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
anyway, another question: will the mario kart 8 dlc be required to play in the tournament?
No, the DLC won't be required.

I will make a note of who has bought which packs though, so that if enough people in appropriate timezones have bought them, racing on their courses will be possible.

If you have bought the DLC, you'll always be able to use its characters and vehicles though, regardless of what other participants have.

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2015, 03:59:01 PM »
Noooo not my Mega Gallade. Would it be fine if I use Mega Gallade if I play someone with ORAS, but use a different mega if I play someone with XY, if megas end up being allowed? If we ban them I'll just use normal Gallade I suppose.

And the only new items iirc are a few key items that can't be held anyways and the Red and Blue Orbs, which Primal evolve Kyogre and Groudon who I'm assuming will be banned. The moves are Origin Pulse, something Blades, and Dragon Ascent, and I think Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves which aren't leginimately obtained anyway.

Yohane Tsushima

• Fallen Angel
  • Celestial Guide
  • Stargazing
  • who's yoshiko lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
eh i have a feeling they'll just be banned outright

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2015, 08:12:20 PM »
If Megas are banned, then my team will most likely be the same, only with normal Gallade. In fact, I'll plan a team now and then get to raising them later.

Lumastar

• Inkling
  • Star Spirit
  • Stay off this text, jerks! He has personal issues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »
If Megas are banned, then my team will most likely be the same, only with normal Gallade. In fact, I'll plan a team now and then get to raising them later.
That's a good idea. I better start to plan my own team if I want to enter.

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2015, 08:33:23 PM »
Actually, about the Mega Evolution situation, we could just allow XY Mega Evos, because XY and ORAS can use them.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
Actually, about the Mega Evolution situation, we could just allow XY Mega Evos, because XY and ORAS can use them.

I'm actually weighing that option because it sounds reasonable enough, but I do still worry that Mega Evolutions kind of ruin a bit of the fairness in matches, so I'm still kind of deciding on that.

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:29 PM »
And for the record, are we aloud multiple of an item on our teams? For example, could both Pokémon A and Pokémon B both have Leftovers equipped?

Yohane Tsushima

• Fallen Angel
  • Celestial Guide
  • Stargazing
  • who's yoshiko lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:48 PM »
last time i checked, they both couldn't be used because oras can't get xy's megas

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
Actually oras can obtain every Mega Stone,

Yohane Tsushima

• Fallen Angel
  • Celestial Guide
  • Stargazing
  • who's yoshiko lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2015, 09:17:14 PM »
Actually oras can obtain every Mega Stone,
oic

nvm then

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
And for the record, are we aloud multiple of an item on our teams? For example, could both Pokémon A and Pokémon B both have Leftovers equipped?

The way we had it in the 2013 tourneys were that multiple items were banned, but I believe that was a result of default flat rules. I still need to check out what kind of options there are for Wi-Fi that the 6th generation offers, so I'm still not sure yet. :P

Kazuma

• Pedo-NEET
  • Star Spirit
  • Icemario
  • "yes I'm kazuma"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2015, 01:27:35 AM »

The way we had it in the 2013 tourneys were that multiple items were banned, but I believe that was a result of default flat rules. I still need to check out what kind of options there are for Wi-Fi that the 6th generation offers, so I'm still not sure yet. :P
There are a set of rules that forbid like that in 6th gen.

Rintarou Okabe

• his smile and optimism = gone
  • Donkey Kong
  • freakworld
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2015, 07:25:01 AM »
In case anyone cares, Mega Evolutions are also banned in the Minecraft tournament.