Author Topic: Tournaments  (Read 12696 times)

Captain America

• Steve Rogers
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Avengers Assemble
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:16 PM »
There's been good talks about doing a Smash 4 online Swiss-style tournament that follows simple competitive standards (3 stocks, no items, reasonable stages, all that good stuff), and signups should be within a couple of weeks, but it's not yet 100% set in stone

I can answer early questions if there's any concerns
I like the sound of that.

What about stuff like counter picking stages?

Doof

• I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • DragonFreak
  • Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »
I'm definitely hosting another Yugioh tournament this year, minus co-hosting with NSM because he retired.  Hopefully there is at least an equal number of participants as last year.

Stargazing

• One who claims to know everything... really knows nothing at all.
  • Celestial Guide
  • Galaxy Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
also confirming the fact that mario kart 7 is okay for me to do

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
200cc mk8 tournament maybe
I have plans to make the finals exactly that.

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
  • "Stuff it, sponge brain!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 06:17:22 PM »
For the Smash 4 one is it 3DS, Wii U or both?

Groden

• 97 more years Morty
  • King Bowser
  • Crypt Raider
  • 9 more seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
Both are planned. I think that we'll enforce only partaking in one version, though.

I like the sound of that.

What about stuff like counter picking stages?
Yup, loser picks the stage from a predetermined legal set. If we can set up IRC for this, it'll have stage spiking to choose the first stage, as well.

Lumastar

• Inkling
  • Star Spirit
  • Stay off this text, jerks! He has personal issues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 11:29:11 PM »
I might try to host a tournament this year, if only to improve upon my subpar one last year. Perhaps I can host a Smash 3DS tournament while someone else covers the Wii U version.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:35 PM »
Both are planned. I think that we'll enforce only partaking in one version, though.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII don't know about that or if I'd be comfortable with that, but we can poll the AC next meeting if that would be a good idea after hearing why or why not.

I might try to host a tournament this year, if only to improve upon my subpar one last year. Perhaps I can host a Smash 3DS tournament while someone else covers the Wii U version.

read the OP and also the post directly above yours and the others above it too

Lumastar

• Inkling
  • Star Spirit
  • Stay off this text, jerks! He has personal issues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »
Okay. I have other options to look into anyway. Perhaps if it does well and ends up being easy to work with, I or someone else could arrange a Splatoon tournament of sorts. It's just an idea right now, however, since the game isn't out yet.

Groden

• 97 more years Morty
  • King Bowser
  • Crypt Raider
  • 9 more seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 11:55:35 PM »
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII don't know about that or if I'd be comfortable with that, but we can poll the AC next meeting if that would be a good idea after hearing why or why not.
Basically my only concern is about fairness to people who don't buy both since almost literally the only competitive difference are the stages, but I don't have a particularly large objection

Kazuma

• Pedo-NEET
  • Star Spirit
  • Icemario
  • "yes I'm kazuma"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
I'm not really sure how owning only one version makes it unfair, to be honest.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
we talked about it last night:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tl;dr the idea as it is right now is scrapped but perhaps something else can be done once sign-ups begin and we see how many people have which game

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
I discussed with Packy for something like that in Pokémon, but instead of doing single/doubles like last year, if he can do one session with Ubers banned, and another one with Ubers allowed. Again, it depends on how much people would want.

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
see a problem is that i think more people have smash 3ds, but i think smash wii u is generally regarded as the better version (at least, i find it a lot more fun to play on, especially since lag isn't as bad and i don't have to worry about breaking my circle pad)

anyway, another question: will the mario kart 8 dlc be required to play in the tournament?

Kazuma

• Pedo-NEET
  • Star Spirit
  • Icemario
  • "yes I'm kazuma"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »
see a problem is that i think more people have smash 3ds, but i think smash wii u is generally regarded as the better version (at least, i find it a lot more fun to play on, especially since lag isn't as bad and i don't have to worry about breaking my circle pad)
But how is that a problem?

12:29 AM - Groden: i would consider singles and doubles for smash if it wasn't already split into 2
I would honestly still be up for this, to be honest.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
I discussed with Packy for something like that in Pokémon, but instead of doing single/doubles like last year, if he can do one session with Ubers banned, and another one with Ubers allowed. Again, it depends on how much people would want.

Well see the thing is as of this moment I think you're the only person around who cares about that who also shows initiative to join the tournament; everyone else has just one team and gives at most a single *bleep* about tiers.  It'll be much more of a hassle for everyone else to get teams to fit that than it is to just say "no legendaries".  It would be an excellent idea if we had a larger competitive pokemon community here but we just simply don't, but again, getting an idea of who's gonna be playing will help create a better understanding.

But how is that a problem?

It's a problem in terms of allowing people to choose one version or the other, as it might create an imbalance where there's 30 people signed up for smash 3ds and 6 stragglers with wii u, or vice versa.

If you were referring to another problem, Nabber, then I have no idea what you're referencing.

12:29 AM - Groden: i would consider singles and doubles for smash if it wasn't already split into 2
I would honestly still be up for this, to be honest.

I would be too, but the thing to consider is that it would be a whole ton more effort to coordinate team battles, unless I'm completely overestimating the work going into this.

as for
anyway, another question: will the mario kart 8 dlc be required to play in the tournament?

While this question is probably better answered by ltq, or at the very least someone with the DLC which I don't have, my idea is that it shouldn't be a requirement as the only thing I can see right now that would make it 'required' is if tracks from them are slated to be used, and that's a completely avoidable issue.

If there are problems that I'm unaware of such as where those without the dlc are physically unable to play at all with those who do have it (which I think would be an absolutely horrendous move on nintendo's part) or at least makes it difficult, please let me know.

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
  • "Stuff it, sponge brain!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 06:14:33 PM »
Legendaries should be aloud as not all of them are uber-tier, for example Articuno, Moltres, the Regi trio and Regigigas are all low tier. At least just ban the Pokémon in ubers, because some legendaries are weak, so it would be stupid to ban them. And if you just ban legends, there's no stopping people from using equally overpowered Pokémon like Mega-Blaziken or Mega-Lucario.

Here's smogon's uber banlist for an idea on the overpowered Pokémon:

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/tags/uber

Meta Knight

• Scourge of Darkness
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Victory is my destiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 06:17:53 PM »
For the legendaries I thought that they could have it so if it's banned from the Battle Frontier (or it's cousins) then it's not allowed.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
Legendaries should be aloud as not all of them are uber-tier, for example Articuno, Moltres, the Regi trio and Regigigas are all low tier. At least just ban the Pokémon in ubers, because some legendaries are weak, so it would be stupid to ban them. And if you just ban legends, there's no stopping people from using equally overpowered Pokémon like Mega-Blaziken or Mega-Lucario.

Here's smogon's uber banlist for an idea on the overpowered Pokémon:

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/tags/uber

Then if that's the case then I think it would be more appropriate to just say "no ubers" instead of creating two separate tournaments when instead we could have singles/doubles/whatever other match-ups there are now, but if suddenly a good amount of people sign up saying that they've got uber teams already made then go for it.

Groden

• 97 more years Morty
  • King Bowser
  • Crypt Raider
  • 9 more seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 06:50:16 PM »
Doubles in Smash means that we'll have 4 tournaments going, not 2. That's a lot of tokens to balance out, but we might. Doubles is harder to coordinate but far from impossible. Probably would have bigger windows to complete matches.

The concern of fairness is opportunity, since 3DS and Wii U competitively are actually just the same game minus a few stage differences, with a different controller and display. But if no one really cares, I don't either, especially since there isn't any real entry fee to the event.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:57:50 PM by Groden »