Which Mario game has the most disappointing character roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Trace

Fastest at casing, fastest at carrying
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
I'd say Mario Sports Mix or Mario Tennis Open. Mario Tennis Open gets the edge for excluding someone, you know, but Sports Mix's character roster is also pret-ty bad since they made a ton of cuts, all who are Mario characters, while only including Toad and Slime.

Anyone wanna share their sour little thoughts? :P

Btw worst =/= disappointing. We all know that a 4 character roster made in the NES days are awful, today but you know, it was really reasonable and awesome at the time.

^Yes, but there's a few good characters like Lakitu and Toadette.

I really disliked Mario Party 9's roster, mainly because they cut Toadette and Hammer Bro., I am fine with Koopa and Shy Guy but it just seemed like a bad roster in my opinion.

New Super Mario Bros. U. Sorry but putting the same Toad colors as in New Super Mario Bros. Wii with no new character (and I don't want to call Mii a real character) is a big disappointment.

Pretty much all recent Mario rosters have been pretty bad for the most part. The best one is World Tour, though. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

except gold mario and maybe nabbit but w/e

YoshiGo99 said:
I really disliked Mario Party 9's roster, mainly because they cut Toadette and Hammer Bro., I am fine with Koopa and Shy Guy but it just seemed like a bad roster in my opinion.

Yeah I hate Mario Party 9's roster. It felt like a gigantic step backwards.

The Mario golf games on the gbc and gba have soul crushingly disappointing rosters.

Mcmadness said:
The Mario golf games on the gbc and gba have soul crushingly disappointing rosters.

But Bowser is technically playable in the GBA version

Thats not why they are disappointing. Though that didn't help.

Aren't those rosters have like only 4 Mario characters and the other billion are generic humans?

MK8. Gone are Birdo, Diddy, Junior, Dry Bones, and King Boo. Instead we have seven koopalings, another baby, and pink gold Peach.

Baby Luigi said:
Aren't those rosters have like only 4 Mario characters and the other billion are generic humans?

Thats correct

Though now that I've checked, power tennis on the gba is just as bad

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Tennis:_Power_Tour#Playable_Characters

Out of the ones I've played, Mario Sports Mix on the Wii.

From the last Mario Sports game by Square Enix, which was on the DS, they cut Paratroopa, Dixie, Birdo, Boo, and Fly Guy, and added only Toad and Slime.

Pitiful.

MK8 for sure

that's kinda been fixed with DLC but from Mario Kart Wii's roster it still feels like a small step backwards

I think Mario Kart 7 has a disappointing roster, only because they omitted Waluigi. I imagine that rushing a game for release could have a side effect of omitting certain features, but it's still disappointing. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think Honey Queen is a bad inclusion, but that honour goes to Metal Mario. This is a game that made me realise that when a game includes a character I like, that is enough to make me satisfied with the characters. Therefore, I can't help but feel contented about Mario Kart 8's roster (and to an extent, Mario Tennis Advance Tour). If Smash included Waluigi as a playable character, that's enough to make me contented with it, not that I am disappointed with it.

Mario Tennis Advance Tour is an interesting case. Although there are several characters, they are all original human characters, and very few are from Mario. Even Wario is not in this game (except for that one time he shouted "Nintendo" before the game starts up, but even then, it's just his voice and not him). There are clearly several characters to choose from, but none of them are memorable and many of them share the same voices with at least one other characters. It goes to show the strength of Mario characters compared to the somewhat original characters, likely thanks to their distinct character designs and voices.

Cirdec said:
New Super Mario Bros. U. Sorry but putting the same Toad colors as in New Super Mario Bros. Wii with no new character (and I don't want to call Mii a real character) is a big disappointment.

Although I don't really mind much on New Super Mario Bros. U's characters, I could see how using the two Toads could be disappointing. I can see the reasoning being that to have distinct colours between the characters.

Personally though, and this is a very, very unpopular opinion, but it would be cool to see Daisy as a stand-in as the yellow character in the New Super Mario Bros. games.

Thanks for reading.

MK8, this and Battle Mode are this game's only real downsides. The roster was very average despite having 30 characters (excluding dlc), out of the 30 only 18 (just over half) would make it into my roster of 30, this is less compared to MKW's having 21 of my 30 characters with a smaller roster. I was shocked to see people Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr. and Birdo not in it. The main issue with MK8's roster though is that not only are the remaining 12 characters people who should't be there but reskins of other characters. They are seven Koopalings for start, and while the Koopalings are quite big and aren't a bad idea, there's too many of them to take up slots in a 30 character roster so it just wrecks. There's five Baby's, witch is far two many, i'm not against the inclusion of babies but please no more than two (this was the only real problem in the MKW roster). Also I should mention that Baby Rosalina is not only a stupid idea but doesn't feel a young Rosalina and also throws away the Galaxy backstory. Lastly we have the two Metal characters who aren't even characters from other games, so shouldn't be there in the first place but what pisses me off is they are just lazy recolors, why are they there Nintendo, it's dumb. Something just feels there were going for quantity over quality. I honestly thing MKW had a much better roster because it had much more v in it's choices and while they are a couple of clones, they actually make sense to be there. (although Baby Daisy is still crap) since they have appeared before.

My roster of 30

Mario ***
Luigi ***
Peach ***
Bowser ***
Yoshi ***
Toad ***
Donkey Kong ***
Wario ***
Daisy ***
Waluigi ***
Koopa Troopa ***
Bowser Jr. *
Diddy Kong *
A third kong
Rosalina ***
Toadette *
Birdo *
Baby Mario ***
Baby Luigi/Baby Peach ***
Dry Bones *
Lakitu **
Shy Guy **
Wiggler
Boo/King Boo *
Dry Bowser * (although he is dlc)
Petey Piranha
Kamek
E. Gadd
Toadsworth
Nabbit

*Appeared in MKW
**Appeared in MK8
***Appeared in both

The bottom four are all newcomers yet these four are newcomers that deserve to be in an MK game unlike all of 8's newcomers and some of 7's. This would be very good roster and one everybody would be happy with

Mario Kart 8 is fairly disappointing since I expected at least Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr. to be shoo-ins. It's kind of like in Mario Kart 7, where Waluigi should've been there, but strangely isn't. I don't mind Metal Mario since he has his own niche (that being a middle-sized heavyweight who also has roles in Smash Bros. and Mario Golf 64 and Dr. Mario 64; Pink Gold Peach was totally unnecessary), even though his addition is not the most ingenious.

Baby Rosalina was totally unnecessary on the other hand. Pink Gold Peach has a weak excuse, but it has some ground compared to Baby Rosalina. Even though Super Mario 3D World started the downward trend of Rosalina's character, Baby Rosalina cements this, relegating her to "just another princess".

Nevertheless, I found Mario Sports Mix to be the ultimate most disappointing roster. It's the bare minimum and the extremely limiting roster glares since it's a team game. It's a Wii game that has removed characters from a weaker handheld. The characters and the sports themselves are very fleshed out, but I'm sure the game could've done with, like, twice the size of that pathetically miniscule roster.

Fortune Street shares a special spot for not having a terrible roster, but the horrendous restrictions set on the roster. You're forced to use a Mii in single-player mode, especially in a game that screams, "MARIO AND DRAGON QUEST PEOPLE COMPETE IN MONOPOLY" rather than "YOUR MII VERSUS MARIO AND DRAGON QUEST PEOPLE". Essentially, it's a one-character roster and never before have I've been so angered by those restrictions. Fortune Street kindled my hatred for Miis and later games including Smash Tour from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Wii Party only fanned the flames.

And then comes Mario & Sonic for the London games 3DS. Marred by lack of Dream Events, it also has the balls to impose horrendous restrictions on who you want to use too. You can't use everyone for every event; you're stuck with these inane groups that are tied to certain events. Mario is part "the heroes"; you can't use him in events that don't use " the heroes". What an ass load of fuck.

Mario Kart 8, Mario Sports Mix, Mario Party 9, whatever, has nothing on Fortune Street or Mario & Sonic at the London games 3DS.

Mario Party Σ said:
And then comes Mario & Sonic for the London games 3DS. Marred by lack of Dream Events, it also has the balls to impose horrendous restrictions on who you want to use too. You can't use everyone for every event; you're stuck with these inane groups that are tied to certain events. Mario is part "the heroes"; you can't use him in events that don't use " the heroes". What an ass load of *bleep*.

It's probably the worst restriction you've ever played. Don't you love it how it cements stereotypes like how only the women can twirl ribbons while only the men can joust or ---- like that?

Yeah. I was about to add how the labels are sexist too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back