Some odd textures found in Super Paper Mario's files.

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I found these a little interesting and didn't think this topic was dumb enough for Mindless Junk so here we are.

For some reason there are random screenshots of the game in there, but the player isn't present in them and the backgrounds are transparent. Any idea how those got dumped, or if they are actually in the games files? Some of them are even in the flipped 3D mode. But they are really small and stretched oddly. There's about 3 or 4 of Fracktail in the desert, though with no background. A few of Flipside Tower's base (though oddly Merlon's house is not present, instead the fence just ends where the house would normally be)

I've been through these textures in the past and never noticed these particular ones. I dumped the textures directly from the game using Dolphin, and there are quite a few completely blank textures. But these "screenshots" intrigued me, since some of them appear to be the same location with the NPCs in different positions.

A few of these can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/g1Y7n

What is the point of having these? They aren't used in the game (obviously these actual locations aren't pre-rendered like that) and the fact that there are duplicates with only small differences (like O'Chunks battle images) and that some of them are missing textures (Bestovius's cloud, Merlon's house) makes me think it was just a Dolphin error when dumping the files. Is this common because I've never seen anything like it before.

For some reason I think these textures are used for debugging purposes

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
What does that mean though?

They were probably used to test certain aspects of the game, such as flipping.

whatever the case, the lack of a player is intriguing

Back