Possible character/stage leak in update files?

Guiliant

Shine Sprite
Pronouns
He/They
In the new update files, there's references to Roy... and (possibly) Ryu, from Street Fighter.

Roy's file is the FE victory theme, so it seems very likely that we're going to be getting him back!

Along with that, there's also references to what appear to be new stages.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32nymz/smash_update_106_decrypted_first_observations/

Thoughts?

I can actually see Ryu working. He's far from my top pick, but he could be interesting.

I just don't know. Thing as with Roy, there's still Koopaling Roy. They'd have to differentiate their names as otherwise it becomes confusing right? By either changing Koopaling Roy to Roy Koopa or making FE Roy into like Lord Roy. But heck Koopaling Roy even has Roy's Our Boy! for his crowd chant. Would they really just copy and paste that and possibly the announcer file?

Maybe that's possible so that the developers don't have to work as hard but it just would seem very strange.

As for Ryu I'd semi support as that would officially confirm that extra 3rd Parties are viable. My only question is why Capcom gets it first? I suppose it would be good as long as it happens somewhere down the line but I'd think it'd be Sega getting another Sonic rep in there before because at least that's a veteran franchise that's been in more then one game. Again it's not too bad as long as it happens eventually. But I'd just find it weird Capcom would get the special treatment first. Even if Sega/Sonic didn't get it, I would think Namco (Since they helped make the darn game :V) would of been the ones getting there first with someone from Tekken or something. I'm not complaining too much since either way this would confirm that companies can recieve more then one character thanks to DLC. Still can't help but say it bugs me a little.

Roy's name would be Roy (FE) like how Mario Circuit (Brawl) was differentiated from Mario Circuit I assume.

Magikrazy said:
Roy's name would be Roy (FE) like how Mario Circuit (Brawl) was differentiated from Mario Circuit I assume.

But that's a Stage. It's understandable to have that. But for a character? It just seems like a headscratcher that'll be hard to understand.

Bleh, if this is completely legit I'll get both characters though I won't be all that pleased with FE Roy coming back. And Ryu would excite me only because it probably means there should be something coming for Sega too in the future (Now that 3rd Party characters could recieve more then one character) Like say... a certain two-tailed fox I've been wanting.

The Hulk said:
But Ryu and Mega Man are still from two different franchises, unlike Tails and Sonic.

Yeah, but who else is going to get to be Sega's 2nd Rep other then another Sonic rep? Nights?

Please, Sonic's been in the franchise for half the series. And is extremely popular (That same extreme popularity was what got him in Brawl in the first place), Nintendo and Sega would be more then happy to milk Sonic fans again. And Shadow isn't an option being he's an Assist Trophy. So Tails and/or Knuckles are the best bets.

Northern Verve said:
The Hulk said:
But Ryu and Mega Man are still from two different franchises, unlike Tails and Sonic.

Yeah, but who else is going to get to be Sega's 2nd Rep other then another Sonic rep? Nights?

Please, Sonic's been in the franchise for half the series. And is extremely popular (That same extreme popularity was what got him in Brawl in the first place), Nintendo and Sega would be more then happy to milk Sonic fans again. And Shadow isn't an option being he's an Assist Trophy. So Tails and/or Knuckles are the best bets.

What about Vector Man? But I would prefer Tails.

well, if this turns out to be true and it turns out roy is coming back, then its development time well wasted, but at the very least they save me $5

I'm of the opinion that no one should have their main cut, so I gladly welcome Roy back for all the Roy players who lost their main.

I personally don't want either of these to happen. For Ryu I feel third party franchises should be limited to one character per series and even if we got a second Capcom character I'd prefer someone from Ace Attorney or a second Mega Man character. As for Roy, I liked playing him in Melee and usually prefer as few cuts as possible, but I didn't think he should have been in the game before his own even came out, and afterwards he ended up becoming one of the least liked lords among fans of his series so if it wasn't for Melee he wouldn't really matter. Plus I think five Fire Emblem characters is way too many.

I'd still buy both when the opportunity arises but they're both honestly really underwhelming choices for me.

The Hulk said:
I'm of the opinion that no one should have their main cut, so I gladly welcome Roy back for all the Roy players who lost their main.

The sad truth is though there are characters in the series that can't come back to Smash 4 because of unfortunate circumstances.

Ice Climber mains because of technical limitations

Snake mains because of the current situation with Konami

Ivysaur and Squirtle mains because they're not popular enough to stand out as their own like Charizard could

And yes, even Pichu or Young Link users for their main being considered a joke character even by Sakurai himself, and a spiritual successor in Toon Link respectively.

It's just likely impossible to reach the goal of true 100% no cuts

Fair enough, but none of those issues apply to Roy.

Think of it like this. You have a character who's basic data is already there, not that complex, and has a massive fanbase, especially in Japan. There's honestly no reason not to include him.

The Hulk said:

It's kinda hard when both Ice Climbers and Lucas (although he is coming back) were cut and Olimar may as well be a different character with how they changed him...

I mean I understand the sentiment, I guess, but what doesn't sit with me is that they're spending time on developing what is pretty much a third Marth with red hair and a fire gimmick and then expecting people to shell out $4/5 for him. We already have a straight up Marth clone in Lucina.

If they really wanted to have another Fire Emblem character, why choose another sword lord when Sakurai stated that the reason Chrom didn't get in was because he has just another "sword wielder". Like, there's a huge amount of playstyles that can be implemented, but no let's add another lord because reasons. I dunno, it seems really stupid and pointless to me, but more power to the people who mained Roy; I won't be spending money on him if he comes to fruition.

Roy gets precedent over other FE characters by being a veteran. And while Roy's moveset is cloned from Marth's the two are nothing alike in terms of playstyle. You can't play Roy the same way you play Marth. He just functions differently.

Again, ICs were cut due to tech limits. I guarantee Sakurai fought hard to include them. Roy has no such issues holding him back.

I would rather have Hector or Ephraim since they add a new weapon to the table, rather than just SWORDS SWORDS SWORDS SWORDS + MAGIC, and I think they are cooler than Roy.

Glitchy said:
I would rather have Hector or Ephraim since they add a new weapon to the table, rather than just SWORDS SWORDS SWORDS SWORDS + MAGIC, and I think they are cooler than Roy.
all of the others have swords though

roy has a flaming pool noodle 8)

Well anyway, if all of this comes to fruition here's what I'm doing:

I'll tolerate Roy enough to buy him. But I'm giving him the Dark Pit/Dr. Mario treatment. Meaning I'll play with him once in Classic and All-Star on each version (On intensity 0.0 and Easy mind you though) and maybe one runthrough of Smash Run before I barely ever touch him again.

As for Ryu I'm a bit more positive about as that'll be kinda interesting potentially. Maybe he's mad Mega Man copied his Shorykun xD

And again, Ryu opens the door for more 3rd Parties then ever before. Now that it would eliminate once and for all the "No more then 1 for each 3rd Party company" as it obviously means good news for my voted character. If that "rule" can be broken, so can 3rd Party franchises by themselves getting an extra rep. Count on it.

Back