How do I get decent audio from my headset?

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
It's a Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 gaming headset. I'm using it to record my commentary on my new Super Paper Mario LP, but every time I yell (like, I'm trying to sound enthusiastic or really dramatic) it sometimes seems to distort the sound. For example, I just recorded the game show in the bathroom and where the guy says "It's the 66th annual "That's my Merlee" show" it sounds like "DLT's ML MLLLL SHLL" on some syllables.

I'm using Windows 8's sound recorder to record this. I tried Audacity but I don't really want to mess with a whole editing interface when just recording something. It overwhelms me, don't ask why.

Can anyone recommend a good free recording software that is simple like the Windows one but won't distort loud audio?

I just ran into another problem: I record using Elgato Game Capture HD and the file I exported seems to desync. I think it's the video that's off though, not the audio, because the text desyncs from my commentary. It looks fine in the capture software but when I save it as anything and bring it up in Premiere it is desynced.

Usually there are settings available to mute system audio while you're recording, you might want to look into that.

Thats not really my problem though. The computers audio isnt screwing with anything, its just my recorded voice distorts when i get loud.

I tried recording with Audacity instead of the built-in sound recorder. Much less distortion, I think it was just that I had a bad sound recorder.

I guess I'll just have to get used to Audacity.

Back