Poll

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

Yes
10 (37%)
Yes
17 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 57252 times)

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special

• "It's Christmas again. It will never be the sa-a-a-a-ame. I know there's only sadness in my so-o-o-o-ul."
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #760 on: September 26, 2018, 09:59:42 PM »
Hell if you think I'm naive enough to believe a boycott is going to work especially not when people need online play to play their favorite games and play with their friends, and Nintendo is known specifically for having a fanbase whose loyalties are stuck so far in their orifices it's embedded into their DNA. That being said, collectively, a boycott won't work but I am not going to drop $20 for a scam-tier service we had free for a year (and I'd imagine that one free year we all had didn't exactly dent their bank accounts) and tried touting it as a feature. Yes, they warned us it will be paid but that doesn't justify this crap and neither does my cynical anticipating that this service will profit despite being garbage justify it either.
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

Pinkgu

• NOOT
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Pink Cat
  • NOOT
    • View Profile
    • Where the wind blows
« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2018, 03:18:57 AM »
To my delightful surprise, KF Picross is indeed getting a western release and it's only 4 dollars!   

winstein

• Dry Bowser
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 28, 2018, 05:56:06 AM »
I feel that online subscription is the direction that Nintendo wanted to travel to, and MyNintendo is kind of a sign of things to come. It cannot be denied that if an online subscription is required, then it will be profitable. Even for Playstation and Xbox, online subscriptions are one of their most profitable ventures. Of course their services are a lot better so they seem tolerable in their audacity. I feel that eventually I might have to get online subscription since Splatoon 2 is one of the games I have (which is pretty much an online game for all intents and purposes).

I do wonder how profitable this venture would be if online play is not one of the services. After all, I only considered this subscription because of online play. I imagine it would be significantly less profitable because online play is the biggest reason to use the service, and without this, the major features that are left are cloud saves and the NES games (which might not appeal to everyone). The proposition would have to be significantly jam-packed with value to get people to pay, similar to how PS3 and Vita managed to get people to pay for PS+ even though online play is free on those platforms, because they have things like free games and deeper discounts (cloud saves are available too, but it's mainly the two items that made it attractive). I think Nintendo Switch should aim for this too: online play remains free, but the other features are granted with the subscription so that when time comes for a Switch upgrade to require a fee for online, then there are enough features to make it a wholesome service.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Santa Yoshi

• The Christmas Yoshi
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 01, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »

This video has 48,000 dislikes, compared to only 8,900 likes.  I guess people really don't like online multiplayer becoming paid.
Update: Now it's 53,000 dislikes and only 9,200 likes.  I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't commented on this yet.

Kokichi Oma

• It's a lie! Nee-heehee! (Artwork by 目玉焼き on Pixiv)
  • Blooper
  • ルイージ
  • bro hug collector and local Dream Team stan
    • View Profile
    • Writing Tumblr
« Reply #764 on: October 01, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »
The switch to having online pay be paid for might be justifiable... If they were attempting to make the online service better. Unfortunately, as far as I've heard, they plan on keeping it basically the same, which is ridiculous since it's already P2P, which is something you can do with other games for free (and even with Nintendo games themselves with some modification).

winstein

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: October 02, 2018, 09:28:21 AM »

This video has 48,000 dislikes, compared to only 8,900 likes.  I guess people really don't like online multiplayer becoming paid.
Update: Now it's 53,000 dislikes and only 9,200 likes.  I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't commented on this yet.

I remembered back in January 2017, when Nintendo held a Nintendo Switch conference, they touted that their Nintendo Switch Reveal had more than 95% likes on Youtube. It would be unimaginable for Nintendo to declare this type of ratio for their Online Service.

I would have mentioned that it's at least not as bad as Federation Force's like-to-dislike ratio, but I am afraid that I might jinx it.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Federation Force's like-to-dislike ratio is currently 10k-92k, so basically less than 10% of likes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:30:12 AM by winstein »

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special

• "It's Christmas again. It will never be the sa-a-a-a-ame. I know there's only sadness in my so-o-o-o-ul."
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #766 on: October 02, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
Imagine cute advertising showing "Our video has only 17% likes of dislikes. *bleep* you." :O}D
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

winstein

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 03, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
Imagine cute advertising showing "Our video has only 17% likes of dislikes. *bleep* you." :O}D

On the other hand, they will proudly declare the income they earned on the Online Service in their upcoming shareholder meeting (which is going to report huge numbers, I am sure), so to them it's already a good start.

Thank you for reading.

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
  • That's what I call hamburgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 03, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »
I mean the thing is the dislike ratio means almost nothing. It doesn't mean that those people didn't then buy the online. There's really nothing you can pull away from that number in an economic sense.

Рождественский Малыш Луиджи

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 03, 2018, 10:32:19 PM »
as winstein pointed out, nintendo did brag about their like to dislike ratio on their switch conference so it would be nice if it was fair for them to brag about their dislike ratio on their nintendo online video, wot wot?
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

winstein

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 04, 2018, 12:28:02 AM »
as winstein pointed out, nintendo did brag about their like to dislike ratio on their switch conference so it would be nice if it was fair for them to brag about their dislike ratio on their nintendo online video, wot wot?

Eh, I know this is a measure that is preferred for those who wishes the existence of the Nintendo Online service is banished, since this is after all, a suicidal tactic on their current service. I think this is really not fair because I sincerely doubt anybody would intentionally make their current services look bad if they were to protect their interests. Take Gerald Ratner, for example: he provided negative publicity on his company's product, which is jewelry. Because of that, not only did he get into trouble, but his company too since it greatly plummeted in value. I feel this would be way worse because the video game industry and journalism is way more cutthroat than the jewelry one, meaning I am very sure that if Nintendo commented negatively on their services, the journalism will spread like wildfire and it would cause irreversible damage to them (though it's beneficial for the customer I guess).

Thank you for reading.

Рождественский Малыш Луиджи

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 04, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »
that post was a joke

maybe not a very good one but a joke
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Kokichi Oma

• It's a lie! Nee-heehee! (Artwork by 目玉焼き on Pixiv)
  • Blooper
  • ルイージ
  • bro hug collector and local Dream Team stan
    • View Profile
    • Writing Tumblr
« Reply #772 on: October 04, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »

It'd give them something to talk about for an otherwise lackluster at best service. :luigi:

Santa Yoshi

• The Christmas Yoshi
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: November 14, 2018, 11:52:11 PM »

A Mario Kart 8 Switch bundle and a Mario Maker 2DS bundle have been announced for Black Friday!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:53:44 PM by Kirby of the Stars »

Fawful Claus

• Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
    • View Profile
    • Mario RPG Universe
« Reply #774 on: November 15, 2018, 06:28:49 AM »
Instead of continuing to promote the disappointing 3DS demake, why don't they just put Super Mario Maker on the Switch?

winstein

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: November 15, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »
I am hoping they make a Super Mario Maker followup/sequel, if you ask me. Basically the follow-up includes more features, but also allow the original Super Mario Maker levels to be used so that from the get-go you have tons of levels.

Thank you for reading.

Snoadgamer

• Always ready for Christmas
  • King Bowser
  • Toadgamer
  • Snoad also known as Snow Toad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: November 17, 2018, 04:20:30 AM »
Say, we forgot to mention that the Switch now has YouTube! It's (obviously) a free download! So if you haven't downloaded it yet, then what are you waiting for?
I need questions! | My wiki page
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!