Poll

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

Yes
10 (35.7%)
Yes
18 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 67634 times)

Yukiho Hagiwara

• Ace Idol
  • Star Spirit
  • Epic Nitwit
    • View Profile
    • Backloggery
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #740 on: September 19, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »
Looks like Version 6 of Nintendo Switch is released! Yes, that means that the Nintendo Switch Online functionality now requires a paid subscription, and the 4 games that are affected according to Nintendo's official website are:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Tennis Aces

I do not know if other games require the online service since they are not listed on the main site, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris, Pokken DX or Sushi Striker (yes, this game has online multiplayer also), so I can't confirm this. What I do know is that Super Mario Odyssey doesn't have a warning about paid online subscription so you don't have to worry about any compromised functionality in Luigi's Balloon World.

basically any game that has online play requires nintendo switch online. the only exceptions so far are free to play games (like fortnite) and the jackbox party games
if you want to see a full list of games which need this, theres a new filter in the search menu for it (bottom left, with the other options like coming soon and software with demos). if you just want to know if a certain game needs it, check that one's specific eShop page

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 19, 2018, 05:00:35 AM »
Looks like Version 6 of Nintendo Switch is released! Yes, that means that the Nintendo Switch Online functionality now requires a paid subscription, and the 4 games that are affected according to Nintendo's official website are:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Tennis Aces

I do not know if other games require the online service since they are not listed on the main site, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris, Pokken DX or Sushi Striker (yes, this game has online multiplayer also), so I can't confirm this. What I do know is that Super Mario Odyssey doesn't have a warning about paid online subscription so you don't have to worry about any compromised functionality in Luigi's Balloon World.

basically any game that has online play requires nintendo switch online. the only exceptions so far are free to play games (like fortnite) and the jackbox party games
if you want to see a full list of games which need this, theres a new filter in the search menu for it (bottom left, with the other options like coming soon and software with demos). if you just want to know if a certain game needs it, check that one's specific eShop page

Does the filter exists on the webpage? I can't seem to find this filter, but I can see that the games I mentioned earlier have a new icon for "Online play", featuring Mario and Luigi playing. Of course there's another icon with a Lakitu Cloud too, but for a different reason (to indicate Cloud saves).

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Builder Mario

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
  • I make YouTube videos sometimes
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #742 on: September 19, 2018, 07:36:21 AM »
I'm hoping the Switch gets icons from 3DS games at some point. Since the 3DS doesn't have a character icon feature like that.

I'm blehhh on that the functionalities in games like Mario Kart we've been using since day 1 are now behind a paywall. But whatever, guess I'm not doing online Mario Kart until I subscribe to this. As a bonus I get to rent classic NES games, such a great next step from owning NES-N64, Game Boy line, and Wii games all on one console oh wait. Online on them sounds neat but I suspect it's a short-lived novelty since they weren't designed for that kind of play.

GalacticPetey

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 19, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »
Probably won't get online till Smash comes out. Even then, I won't absolutely need it until Pokémon Gen VIII is out. I'm gonna need online to play Pokémon.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 19, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »
Oh man, I thought Mario Odyssey would require it; thank goodness it doesn't!

I won't be getting an online subscription for now, as the only things I really want it for are online Mario Tennis tournaments and Super Mario Bros. 3.  Not to mention that I don't even own the former game yet, and the latter game is on Wii U VC.

It also seems that third-party games like Sonic Forces won't require a subscription for online play.  More SOS missions in that game, I guess.

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 19, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
The best news about this is that Version 5 CFW should be released any time now.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Sheriff Woody

• Can't wait for the fourth movie.
  • Dry Bowser
  • Toadgamer
  • U R a toi
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 19, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »
I have a new Icon in the switch

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #747 on: September 19, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
The best news about this is that Version 5 CFW should be released any time now.
Nah, they say it's fine if you want to play a game that requires 6.0.0. The homebrew scene will just catch up. Atmosphere is said to work in that version too.

Revenant Archagent

• Back in Action
  • King Bowser
  • ArchagentEverlasting
  • Your favorite travel guide guy
    • View Profile
    • Travel Guide with Archagent
« Reply #748 on: September 19, 2018, 11:46:55 PM »
The homebrew scene for the switch right now is really fantastic. I swear, the speed people work these days...

winstein

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 20, 2018, 01:37:34 AM »
Does the homebrew scene have an exploit that allows people to play online without paying?

Thank you for reading.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #750 on: September 20, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
Does the homebrew scene have an exploit that allows people to play online without paying?

Thank you for reading.
No point, Nintendo would just ban you. If you want to mod your console you have to think between two terms: flexible customization, NAND backups (yes some people had bricked consoles from system updates and homebrew fixed it for them), saves, and of course if you're that person, piracy; or online play.

The homebrew scene for the switch right now is really fantastic. I swear, the speed people work these days...
It's still pretty early but I saw nice things from it including possibility to mod Skyrim, custom background themes, custom avatars (yeah there's the BAD aspect of that one), and maybe emulation for games?

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 20, 2018, 03:51:55 PM »
Someone needs to make a version of Nintendont for Switch.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 26, 2018, 01:09:50 AM »

This video has 48,000 dislikes, compared to only 8,900 likes.  I guess people really don't like online multiplayer becoming paid.

winstein

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 26, 2018, 02:01:04 AM »
I know for sure that I dread seeing THAT icon if it appears on an eShop game. What's that icon I speak of? It's this:

Never thought that that is an icon I wish is absent in a game. Sure it's a cool icon, but it also represents the advent of paid online services. Sure I can afford it, but there's no incentive as of now.

Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:06:11 AM by winstein »

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 26, 2018, 02:21:10 AM »
Maybe, if we boycott the service, Nintendo will eventually give in and let online be free.  Meanwhile, the other benefits could be added to a premium service.

I know, big pipe dream...

Marie

• The best squid girl
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 26, 2018, 12:43:59 PM »
You know, I wonder if they are doing this because the price of maintaining online gaming in general has gotten so high that they need to charge to keep it up. That would explain why all 3 console makers now charge for online. However, this is only a theory and I don't have any proof that it's actually expensive to keep up online play.

Credit to several artists for my avatars, see this post. Also click the above image for nice music!
Userpage | Ask | Art

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 26, 2018, 05:56:39 PM »
You know, I wonder if they are doing this because the price of maintaining online gaming in general has gotten so high that they need to charge to keep it up. That would explain why all 3 console makers now charge for online. However, this is only a theory and I don't have any proof that it's actually expensive to keep up online play.

Nintendo's Online Service doesn't use servers, it's entirely peer-to-peer. Additionally, we played Nintendo's online service for free on the Switch with no problems whatsoever prior to the service, with Nintendo not reporting any sort of financial struggles with the console. For game's centric on online multiplayer, the costs for maintaining the service should come the sales of the game. Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are heavy hitters, and there's no doubt about it that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will become a huge hit in which the profits from the sales should be far more than enough to maintain them. Lastly, the Nintendo Switch has become a huge success, easily dwarfing the Wii U, and I don't think things have gotten much more expensive in the time frame between the Wii U and Switch.

Finally, PC users laugh at all of this, since most PC games don't charge for online, with exceptions of course such as subscriptions for WoW, etc.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #757 on: September 26, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
This video has 48,000 dislikes, compared to only 8,900 likes.  I guess people really don't like online multiplayer becoming paid.
It's not even that, it's that the services are atrocious and even Nintendrones' responses seem to be "it's not expensive" as if the service magically stops being *bleep*ty as long as it's cheap.

Nintendo spent more time on the cute animation and slick advertising than they did with making sure their services are quality. They're not concerned about "it's too expensive", assuming they're struggling on making money (no they're not, they're operating on massive profits more than you will ever make in your life time; two of the largest media franchises rake in literally tens of billions of dollars). This service is testing their fans and to see how much they can get away with ripping off their fans. If this service becomes profitable, I'm expecting them charging higher prices for this sort of service. You give them the inch, they can and will go the mile.

I know for sure that I dread seeing THAT icon if it appears on an eShop game. What's that icon I speak of? It's this:

Never thought that that is an icon I wish is absent in a game. Sure it's a cool icon, but it also represents the advent of paid online services. Sure I can afford it, but there's no incentive as of now.

Thank you for reading.
Luigi's reaction sums up my reaction. WHAT THE *bleep*, NINTENDO? And Mario's the "durr, it's only 20 dollars a year"

Maki's #3 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
  • That's what I call hamburgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 26, 2018, 09:49:57 PM »
Oh it's probably already profitable. A large amount of people probably bought it cause *bleep* it it's 20 dollars. I know cause I was one of those people.
If you think enough people are gonna boycott this and force Nintendo to change you're wrong. Cause at the end of day it's probably already profitable and once smash Bros comes out a lot of people that don't have it now will get it then.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 26, 2018, 09:59:24 PM »
If you think enough people are gonna boycott this and force Nintendo to change you're wrong. Cause at the end of day it's probably already profitable and once smash Bros comes out a lot of people that don't have it now will get it then.
I didn't think it was gonna happen.  It's something called a "pipe dream".

I mean, I'd probably buy it if I owned more online-compatible games.  The only one I own is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which isn't worth the subscription because I also own the Wii U version with free online.  The NES games were cool but aren't worth it, since I can just own the games of my choosing forever through Wii U VC.