Need some advice on recording my voice for a video.

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I've done this a few times in the past, but I'm not very satisfied with the results. I sound too robotic and boring, due to the fact that I was directly reading a script.

However I just attempted to record without a script (only a small list of subjects to talk about), and I found myself drawing a blank 99% of the time. The weird thing is, I fluently rant to myself every day about these very subjects... but turn on a recording device and my mind goes completely blank.

Does anyone here know any good tips for this?

If you're able to rant to yourself, then do just that. Hide the microphone so you won't really think about it and you'll be able to talk.

Write a couple of fluid notes relating to the subjects, that way if you're tongue-tied you have something to remind you in your notes so you don't completely space out. You don't have to write a script, but at least a few notes just to get your words to flow smoothly, and that way the rest can more than likely just come to you.

- Write down notes and refer to them
- Rehearse, preferably in front another person, a pet, or a mirror so you get used to communicating your ideas
- If you mess up your recording, just stop and start that sentence / paragraph / idea again (whatever feels natural). Don't fret because you can always edit out the mess up.
- Make sure you have a decent mic and recording software because if not it will definitely show

Back