The Sonic General Thread (Team Sonic Racing Released!)

SonicMario

Star Spirit
You know there's been quite a bit of Sonic threads here. Whether they're for many of the new games, the cartoons, etc. but it's a bit surprising there just hasn't been one thread where we can focus all the Sonic game discussion in one place. If it did exist I certainly couldn't find it easily through the forum search. So why not change that now?

In our little community we have a decent base for Sonic here. Of course not everyone does as either they don't care or they dislike it because of how the series was once Mario's biggest competitor in the early 90s Console Wars and they still cling to something similar to longtime Sports rivalries even with Sonic's move to 3rd Party and increased appearences on Nintendo consoles and crossovers or how popular the series is despite the admittedly lower quality of games compared to the days of the series roots.

I'm one of those that grew up on both Mario and Sonic games (Main reason why my default name is SonicMario of course) and I cherish both series equally. Though admittedly I do give Sonic more attention because he's much less successful as a franchise then Mario. And heck just about 8 times of 10 I'm playing as Sonic in the 2 (or 3 if you're a stickler on Smash 4 3DS and Wii U) Smash Bros games he's in. I give Sonic more attention personally because Mario is already recieving greats amount of Praise. Sonic's fallen to some hard times for a while. Sonic 06 brought upon the beginning of a dark age for the franchise that depending who you ask, Sonic Unleashed and/or Sonic Colors, and/or Sonic Generations brought the end of it, though there are also those who may believe we're still in that period and Colors and Generations were just two bright spots in an otherwise still reeling Franchise trying to get on it's knees again even if Sonic 06's damage may be irreparable.

However, the series is still alive despite the string of mediocre or worse games. And there's this feeling where the franchise has already hit rock bottom with Sonic 06. No matter what happens, the franchise can't hit that again. It can only get better from here even if the franchise never reaches quite the peak it had in the mid 90s. (And no, I don't count Rise of Lyric as another Sonic 06 situation). While the future or even the quality of the next Sonic game remains unsure, fans can usually rest assure that the Blue Blur will continue on. Next year in fact will be the 25th anniversery of the franchise. We don't know yet if Sega has any big plans if at all for it. But they usually have something up their sleeve for this. While there is one huge anniversery game that is the catalyst for the hard times of the Franchise (Sonic 06 was the 15th anniversery game) there is also Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Generations for the 10th and 20th anniversaries respectively that has given a sense of a rebirth of interest in the franchise.

I'm not saying whatever comes in 2016 for Sonic will be anything huge or noteworthy, but we know that Sega is now taking special care for Sonic announcing recently that they're going for stable profits for a little while through smaller games instead of risking stuff on big projects that have short deadlines. This is notable because for the longest time Sega usually wouldn't let one year pass by without a decently sized Sonic game being released. This could be the time the franchise has needed for a while: a good rest. As well as careful planning for the future instead of spreading Sonic through every imaginable idea Sega comes up with (Riding airboards, turning into a werehog, going into storybooks, etc.) even if the games turn out decent. I do think that Sonic will find it's way onto consoles again. But it will be a time Sega knows what it's doing having evaluated mistakes in the past, and knowing they're churning out a quality game.

Until then, my Sonic enjoyment can be filled with his appearence in Smash 4. And that's enough for me for a little while

Anyway, on Sonic Runners. I don't have a mobile device to play it but I thought'd share a few things. Like this article of some leaked details of stuff coming to the game.

Some characters that haven't been revealed with the already known cast of Playables including some unexpected choices

Also... 5 Night's at Eggman's? :eek:

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog General Thread (Most Recent Game Release: Sonic Runners)

Sonic is a game franchise barely anyone takes seriously anymore. The main problem it has that it keeps flip-flopping between new mechanics in order to try to get a innovation praise for the game when the said innovation rarely works to the degree of enjoying the game greatly and causing divided opinions about it. On one side, Mario gets criticized for being a little bit too much of the same thing, if there was a polar opposite of innovating TOO much, Sonic would fall on that side. Coupled with two REALLY bad releases (Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom) with too many mediocre ones to boot, one has to wonder how would a company that uses these practices would still be alive. Sega should be grateful that it has its history behind for making good Sonic games otherwise it would have been utterly dead by now.

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog General Thread (Most Recent Game Release: Sonic Runners)

They had a pretty stable thing going with colours and generations.

Lost world had a great visual style and some fun creative levels but it lacked the speed.

Yes but then came Sonic Boom which totally wrecked the somewhat stable streak of mediocre to actually decent games...

And then there's Sonic Runners which sounds totally lame.

Oh and my thoughts about Sonic still being on consoles was correct.

For anyone here who thought the whole layoff thing and Smartphone/PC gaming thing meant Sonic would be pulled off of Consoles from now on. Here's a quote that puts that to rest.

4Gamer: Actually , is there a possibility that the future of Sonic the Hedgehog is going to shift for smartphone?

Iizuka-san: Currently we dont. Now this product only, select the smartphone as a friendly platform to the user's, just say F 2 P and that was suitable for there. Personally, I don't plan to stop Sonic for home-video game consoles. Don't worry about them! And enjoy!

Baby Luigi said:
Yes but then came Sonic Boom which totally wrecked the somewhat stable streak of mediocre to actually decent games...

I don't really count the Sonic Boom games. I just shrug them off as tie-ins with the new show and nothing more but another part of the pile of mediocre licensed games. Not to mention the game wasn't made by the normal Sonic Team but a new US based company. Sega in general wasn't even very confident with it to begin with. Even if the game didn't have the infamous glitches (Some in fact have been removed in a patch like the Knuckles Jump Glitch that could shorten the game) the game would still be a relatively mediocre platformer. And they dared having the game release within two weeks of a double whammy of two huge Nintendo games that I'm sure more people were saving their money for (Smash Wii U and Pokemon ORAS) regarding Nintendo exclusives. So even if the game was actually decent, it would of been a hard sell.

Northern Verve said:
I don't really count the Sonic Boom games. I just shrug them off as tie-ins with the new show and nothing more but another part of the pile of mediocre licensed games. Not to mention the game wasn't made by the normal Sonic Team but a new US based company. Sega in general wasn't even very confident with it to begin with. Even if the game didn't have the infamous glitches (Some in fact have been removed in a patch like the Knuckles Jump Glitch that could shorten the game) the game would still be a relatively mediocre platformer. And they dared having the game release within two weeks of a double whammy of two huge Nintendo games that I'm sure more people were saving their money for (Smash Wii U and Pokemon ORAS) regarding Nintendo exclusives. So even if the game was actually decent, it would of been a hard sell.

Considering that Sega still greenlit the game while having a complete disregard for any sort of quality control and basically screwing consumers over by releasing the terrible game anyhow, I still think the game further tarnishes Sonic's reputation as a whole, because it's still considered an official Sonic game regardless who it was made by or not; casual people probably wouldn't know better that it was developed by some random company who just got started in the business and would say, "hey that's terrible, wonder if any Sonic game was like that" The glitches are still part of the game, so I wouldn't disregard them because the sign of glitches means that the game has either been poorly playtested, lack of any oversight to the game, or that the developers don't even bother to fix them at all. But yeah, as you said, the gameplay is woefully mediocre and shallow without the glitches (mainly consists of going to point A and hitting that magical green button that works and does whatever it takes to get to the next part and some boring combat).

I don't know if Sonic can even compete against Smash or Pokemon. On one hand, he still has a pretty darn dedicated fanbase so I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Boom sold ok despite the backlash it got (my friend who is a Sonic fan even got both Shattered Crystal and Rise of Lyric, the latter to my dismay). On the other, Sonic isn't as prominent as it has been and harsh reviews may probably discourage potential buyers anyway.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't know if Sonic can even compete against Smash or Pokemon. On one hand, he still has a pretty darn dedicated fanbase so I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Boom sold ok despite the backlash it got (my friend who is a Sonic fan even got both Shattered Crystal and Rise of Lyric, the latter to my dismay). On the other, Sonic isn't as prominent as it has been and harsh reviews may probably discourage potential buyers anyway.

Yeah Sonic really can't compare to those two especially Smash (Given Sonic himself is part of it and the many other franchises the games include). Though right now Rise of Lyric is one of the worst selling Sonic games. And maybe that seems like a statement when other games have sold better despite arguably being worse quality-wise. But I do think it being within the same month as two much more popular Nintendo exclusive titles also had some effect on sales.

Sonic 06 sold well enough to be considered a platinum hit for the Xbox despite being basically the worst game of the franchise. Though I assume that's because back in 2006, Sonic still had a fairly positive reception and there was lots of hype for this game, it was also a Launch title for the 360. So everyone who wanted what was advertised as the beginning of the next generation of Sonic had to buy a 360 just to play it on day one. They all ended up falling for a trap.

Fast-Forward to 2014 with Rise of Lyric even from the initial trailers there was this skepticism to it that the Dark Age of Sonic ever since Sonic 06's release has started. But even more so given the new designs. Sure some people had the optimism in parts like finally Sonic wasn't the only playable character. But overall the expectations were mixed. When the game got the terrible reception it got, while it made those who were optimistic feel similar disappointment to those who thought Sonic 06 was going to be good. Those with low expectations got what they expected and maybe somewhat even worse then their already low expectations. And of course there were those who were turned off by the redesigns enough to boycott it or just waiting to see how the reception goes to affect their decision whether or not to get the game

The hype and expectation was much more cautious with Boom. And while it's true those outside of the Sonic scene won't really know the difference. This means the impact on the fans won't be even half as huge as Sonic 06's

I remember I was obsessed with Sonic games back in the day.

I've played every main Sonic game from Sonic 1 to Unleashed.

It definitely got pretty shaky at the end of that.

I grew up around the time Sega became third-party, but I still thought of Mario and Sonic as rivals, despite knowing nothing of the old console wars.

I don't get the hate for Sonic Heroes. It was pretty fun, and I enjoyed playing it.

My favorite Sonic game has to be Adventure. I loved the many different playstyles (yes, even the fishing). I wish Mario would do something like it.

The only Sonic games I played was Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes

I don't know why, but the aspect as playing as different Sonic characters appealed to me far than just Sonic. Besides, SA2 was the first Sonic game I played (I mean, the GCN version, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle), and I rented it as a kid so I always had some place in my heart for it.

They were enjoyable I admit but it had some BS moments like those GUN robots landing right on top of me without any warning in SA2.

We're discussing Runners just now?

Anyway, Sonic Runners actually looks decent. I need to try it and see how the in-app purchases work before forming a full opinion, but so far so good! At the very least, the soundtrack is great! Just listen to this!

Lumastar said:
We're discussing Runners just now?

Anyway, Sonic Runners actually looks decent. I need to try it and see how the in-app purchases work before forming a full opinion, but so far so good! At the very least, the soundtrack is great! Just listen to this!

Good job Tomoya at composing this. I thought Jun did it.

https://soundcloud.com/itsamike/boom-shadow

i wasn't sure where to put this but i needed to share it somewhere

mike pollock is the best

I only played Sonic Rush, Unleashed, Black Knight, Colo(u)rs, and Lost World. I never completed them though

The main problem I have with every 3d main sonic game is that the physics are broken af

i did enjoy adventure 1+2 but playing them today just shows me how seriously broken they are

and you can probably also enjoy all the other games but the physics just never work 100% correctly

also i think that at least since sonic generations the quality of sonic games aside from glitches went seriously downhill.

Threek said:
https://soundcloud.com/itsamike/boom-shadow

i wasn't sure where to put this but i needed to share it somewhere

mike pollock is the best

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant

Retrospective of Sonic's history with Nintendo on a game-by-game basis (Starting with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle to recent times such as the Sonic suit in Mario Kart 8. The first time Sonic's showed up in a regular Nintendo game in some form that's not a purposeful crossover (Which both the Olympics and Smash Bros. are)

It's a real awesome read, and it makes me just want to think what could come next with the franchise's relation with Nintendo. I've been a huge fan ever since the series spread to Nintendo when I got both SA2:B and Sonic Mega Collection for the Gamecube. So seeing what's come out of it already feels like something my 10-year old self could only dream about. Yet it's happened.

Ahhh, it just warms my heart everytime a new thing comes up that feels like it strengthens things between Nintendo and Sega regarding Sonic. From Sonic being able to come in for 2 (3 if you count Smash 4 3DS and Wii U as seperate) Smash Bros. games, the Implied friendly rivalry in the CGI openings of the Mario and Sonic Olympic series, Sonic getting his own Amiibo, the Yoshi and the Zelda levels in Sonic Lost World, etc. I can't help but give in to my inner child everytime something new comes up from all this ^^

Out of all the devs, fucking BIOWARE made a Sonic RPG on the DS?

Fuckin kek

And also it's appearently been mediocre too

that guy sure that was the actual bioware on there? You know the one that made kotor and mass effect 2?

Wth is Sonic Runners, did I somehow avoid all the Sonic fangasms when it was announced / released?

Sonic Heroes is still best Saneek no question

Eri Ayase said:
Out of all the devs, fucking BIOWARE made a Sonic RPG on the DS?

Fuckin kek

And also it's appearently been mediocre too

that guy sure that was the actual bioware on there? You know the one that made kotor and mass effect 2?

Sonic Chronicles was actually developed by Bioware's "B" team. (As in they barely had any of the developers that were responsible for Bioware's long string of great games)

Nevertheless, it still being the Dark Age of Sonic at this time though, it did kinda make people believe Sonic was cursed when the end result was less then stellar.

What we got was a mediocre at best RPG and not even a good sounding soundtrack to tolerate going through such a game. The one praise (Music) that almost everyone can give games even 06 didn't even pass on to this game. When almost everyone at the beginning when it was announced Bioware was developing it thought there was no way it wasn't going to be good.

Yooka-Laylee said:
Wth is Sonic Runners, did I somehow avoid all the Sonic fangasms when it was announced / released?

Mobile game. You don't get alot of it for simple stuff like that.

i looooved colors

i haven't played any other ones lol

I actually really hated Sonic Colours for the DS. It's the only game I ever sold.

Glitchy said:
I actually really hated Sonic Colours for the DS. It's the only game I ever sold.

Well that's not the version most people praise. The handheld ports of most recent Sonic console games are generally inferior to the Console version.

You won't find many people saying Sonic Colors, Generations, and Lost World on DS or 3DS are Better then their Console counterpart. Sonic Boom may be a bit of an exception if it counts (But I'm not sure they do since they're kinda different games with even a different take at the story) but even then that doesn't mean the handheld game was all that good given Rise of Lyric's reception it wouldn't be saying much unlike with the others.

wait there was a sonic colors ds? :eek:

Nysic said:
wait there was a sonic colors ds? :eek:
yeah and apparently it has an exclusive final boss ((iirc, i could be wrong))

I love this series but (I know I'm beating a dead horse but I gotta express this) what the fuck is wrong with this fanbase?

Back