Pokémon Shuffle: The First Freemium Pokémon Game on the Nintendo 3DS and Mobile

Lumastar

Stay off this text, jerks! He has personal issues.
It was bound to happen.

Pokémon Shuffle, first announced last month in the Nintendo Direct, is basically Pokémon'a take on Candy Crush Saga. To play a level, you must spend one heart. You can have up to five at a time. What happens when you run out of hearts? You must either wait 30 minutes or pay to get Jewels to get more hearts. You can also spend about a dollar's worth of coins if I'm correct to get a Great Ball and instacatch a Pokémon.

To be fair, the game does look okay. I just really don't like that we're seeing one of Nintendo's franchises dipping into this style.

Re: Pokémon Shuffle: The First Freemium Pokémon Game on the Nintendo 3DS

Have some gameplay.

Lumastar said:
To be fair, the game does look okay. I just really don't like that we're seeing one of Nintendo's franchises dipping into this style.
Per this so much.

Lumastar said:
I've read some more about this game, and it seems to be quite the disappointment among editors. Hopefully this teaches Nintendo a lesson.
You are aware that this game was developed by Genius Sonority, right?

Genius Sonority is entirely independent from Nintendo.

Imo that game isn't bad. I don't understand why people are whining about microtransactions. IT'S FREE TO FUCKING PLAY LIKE TF2 OR ANY OTHER FREE TO PLAY GAME. IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR SHIT. Besides IDC about the timer since I can go and just boot another game to kill time.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Lumastar said:
I've read some more about this game, and it seems to be quite the disappointment among editors. Hopefully this teaches Nintendo a lesson.

I looked it up, and you're right. Still, I doubt that this game had zero consent from Nintendo and/or The Pokémon Company.

Sylveon said:
Imo that game isn't bad. I don't understand why people are whining about microtransactions. IT'S FREE TO FUCKING PLAY LIKE TF2 OR ANY OTHER FREE TO PLAY GAME. IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR SHIT. Besides IDC about the timer since I can go and just boot another game to kill time.
I still think that timers are a bad idea in any game, at least the way that it's done in this way. While I still need to try it out later, I can tell from preview footage that this game has many times that it basically asks for your money.

what to do if you don't like this game:

don't download it

i know amazing concept, right?

This is up there with "I bet you can't film a movie/make a game/bake a good cake!" in the altar of thought-terminating clichés. A game's business model making it unappealing is a perfectly reasonable critcism to voice.

eh, at least you don't get the option to share on [insert social site here] to beg for more hearts. plus, the time limit seems to only be 30 min for your hearts to recover.

Bad form Nintendo

yeah from what i've heard this sucks

it's just candy crush but with a pokemon skin

wonderful. candy crush but with pokemon.

DragonFreak said:
This is the exact mobile gaming trash that I hate.
concuuuuuuuuuuuuuur

Apparently my roommate wants to play this.

I just downloaded and tested the game. I lost all of my hearts in less than ten minutes. That's right! Ten minutes. 10!

I will admit that the game was fun while it lasted, but the microtransactions suck. I haven't played it yet, but based on what I've heard I'd have to recommend Pokémon Trozei.

Sylveon said:
Imo that game isn't bad. I don't understand why people are whining about microtransactions. IT'S FREE TO *bleep*ING PLAY LIKE TF2 OR ANY OTHER FREE TO PLAY GAME. IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR *bleep*. Besides IDC about the timer since I can go and just boot another game to kill time.
Except this disrupts progression, halting gameflow for money or time, and it manages to attempt to swindle every penny from you. Team Fortress 2 has actual content and fun gameplay and no intrusive microtransactions, paywalls, and tedious timers that suck the fun out of the game. And what's concerning is if Nintendo is going to adopt the trend of micro-transaction crap that is the sole reason people don't take mobile games seriously since EA and Ubisoft have put similar paywalls in their titles as well.

Some reviewers put these nicely.

Metro‎
Pokémon Shuffle is just a normal 3DS game, albeit one available only for download via the eShop. But ignore the format it’s playing on and this follows in the very worst traditions of manipulative, microtransaction-obsessed smartphone games. In other words exactly what you would normally buy a Nintendo portable to avoid.

Pokémon Shuffle takes the opposite approach and although the game itself is technically free it does everything it can to limit how much you can play until you’ve paid some money.

Destructoid
You'll start off with five at first, and then you'll have to wait 30 minutes for each one to refill, up to a maximum of five. To give you some perspective, levels generally take 30 seconds to one minute to complete. So after three or so minutes, you're waiting two and a half hours to play five more. Even if you only pick it up once per day it's still a tough prospect to swallow.

Aiko Heiwa said:
what to do if you don't like this game:

don't download it

i know amazing concept, right?
The stupid hurts.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Lumastar said:

Nintendo still approved them to use the Pokemon license on these kinds of games. The point is, Nintendo had a part in making this rotten game.

Guys, don't defend this money-swindling garbage.

That's gross

Yikes. Now they'll have to compete with the likes of Candy Crush and all... <_>

Well, duh, it's not even a bootleg this time.

Back