The malware is back...ugh

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
For the past two days, I've been dealing with fucking stupid-ass popup tabs that appear in the middle of the YouTube video I'm watching, forcing me to close them. Sometimes they make it hard to close, with a fucking stupid-ass window that says "WAAAAITTT! ARE U SUUUURE U WANT 2 CLOSE???!!!!11"

I use my computer in the lobby of my apartment building, and I got up to go to the bathroom. On my way back I hear loud-ass music that turns out is coming from MY stupid-ass computer. Some video started playing in a new tab without my permission and I've had enough of this bullshit. I scanned my computer using Malwarebytes and it deleted a crapton of stuff but I'm still getting the fucking annoying pop ups.

I'm afraid to download anything else because downloads tend to close my browser (including that video I was in the middle of watching) plus usually install malware of their own.

Apologies for yet another topic about this but I'm seriously losing my sanity over this. It's annoying as hell and I want it gone ASAP.

Possibly related: Sometimes a large white space appears at the top of the webpage on GameFAQs. When I right click an icon for "GeniusBox" in my taskbar and say "Exit," the space goes away but later GeniusBox opens itself back up.

Try reformatting your computer/putting the settings to Factory Defaults. However, this will delete everything so copy important files to a USB or email them to yourself so they don't get lost. If you have Windows and are still interested follow these steps

Start the computer.
As the computer starts, keep pressing the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
Press the down arrow in order to select Repair Your Computer, then press Enter.
Specify the desired language, and then click Next.
Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
Click to select the checkbox for Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition.
Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
When the operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

If you have windows 8 I don't got a clue

That sounds like adware

Try looking in your add-ons and delete any unfamiliar addons and extensions

Also, try looking in Programs under Control Panel and unininstall any unfamiliar programs.

These programs usually have like names like "Safe Secure Search", "Better Browser" or ---- like that.

Does this happen in other browsers?

It's ten times worse in Internet Explorer, complete with five billion windows and every webpage is choking on ads.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Internet-Popups

(are you sure you uninstalled ---- in "Programs" under Control Panel?)

Pop-up tabs are essentially the same thing as pop-up windows, except they're done in one browser under a tab. Modern browsers do that nowadays; opening new windows for a different website is going to be something of the past.

Uh what browser do you use again?

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en

Is the setting on?

It's most likely of some ---- installed in your programs that bypasses the feature.

Here's another link btw

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2765944?hl=en

Tried the program that link led me to, and it supposedly deleted one suspicious program but I'm still getting annoying tabs opening without my permission.

You probably have more

I really want to inspect your programs/Chrome add-ons and extensions list and pick out some programs that I'm not familiar with.

Adblock
The most popular Chrome extension, with over 40 million users! Blocks ads all over the web. Permissions Visit website

APNG 2.1.5
Animated PNG support for WebKit/Blink browsers Permissions Visit website

Classic Popup Blocker 2.6
A Classic Popup Blocker that won't let any site create a window without your authorization. Simple, Fast and Works - Classic! Permissions Visit website

Google Docs 0.7
Create and edit documents Permissions Visit website

My Chrome Theme 2.0
Create and share Google Chrome themes of your own design. Permissions

Norton Security Toolbar 2014.7.10.15
Norton Safe Search and Safe Web warn you of dangerous sites when you search, shop or browse online. Permissions Visit website

Ratings Preview for YouTube™ 4.1.2
Show the likes and dislikes bar over every video thumbnail in YouTube so that you can know its rating before watching it. Permissions Visit website

Save as PDF 1.7
Lets you download web pages as PDF in one click. Permissions

SwiftPreview 2.2.4
Preview links on Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Google+ and any other site. Save time and view links in the same window. Permissions

Ultimate New Tab 0.9
Works with Smooth Gestures Plus. A custom new tab page that supports theming, tab organization, bookmarks, history, and speeddial. Permissions Visit website

YouTube Center 1.0.1
Center the new YouTube redesign on the page Permissions

YouTube Downloader 2.2
Download any YouTube video Permissions Visit website

YouTube Unblocker 0.5.6
Unlocks YouTube videos via proxy servers... Permissions Visit website
Not sure if I'm comfortable posting my entire program list here.

Seems fine. Is there a separate tab for plug-ins??

If you're not comfortable, you can try PMing me your programs list

Everything I have tried so far has failed. So I was sitting back and enjoying a Let's Play when all of a sudden, a new tab opens. Before I can close it, some fucking shit downloads to my computer. Luckily I quickly deleted it, but that scares me. I'm now afraid to leave my computer alone at all.

If you go to Chrome's settings and check Downloads in advanced settings, you can tell it to ask where to save files before downloading. In my experience, that'll at least keep you from getting anything automatically downloaded without your permission. Dunno how to help with the rest tho

Back