Author Topic: Suggestion Box  (Read 12196 times)

Doof

• I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • DragonFreak
  • Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »
how do you host a tournament
Apply to be part of the Awards Committee, then discuss your idea there and after preparations have been made, create the sign-up thread.

Or something like that, I'd expect.
You can actually PM Smasher or Anton (I think either) for a tournament sign up.  I did that last year and I wasn't part of the AC. 

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
I would need to get people to register, make a bracket, make a thread for it, and have people exchange friend codes/nnids. All in all a very tiring process.
how do you host a tournament
Apply to be part of the Awards Committee, then discuss your idea there and after preparations have been made, create the sign-up thread.

Or something like that, I'd expect.

All that plus being responsible and accountable for attendance, coming up with points/token systems, keeping tabs on everyone playing and maintaining fairness, plan a date that works for everyone involved, set up rules, have back-up plans, etc.  Lots of stuff you'll be more aware of after having partaken in an event, or at the very least go back into past events and look at those threads.

Also yeah what DF said, you don't need to be an AC member to do a tournament, it would just have to be sanctioned by the AC to make it official and give tokens out for prizes and stuff.

Here's the full list of awards and nominees last year, that would be a good place to start looking for ideas for new whatever.
You think it'd be possible to have stuff relating directly to the wiki? Like "Best Featured Article" or something? There's probably not much you can do with the category, but I always thought it'd be a nice idea.

I don't really know where those would fit in given that the Mario/Fail awards are strictly about the games and mario universe, the 'Shroom is about the 'Shroom, and Userpedia is UP and closely-tied community events.  It could be argued to be crammed into UP but it would be diluting the UP awards further and further and I don't think anyone is willing to do that.

Iori Minase

• Little-devil idol
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • Iorin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »
speaking of tournaments, can we not have the mario kart tournaments at 9 am pst this year

hee heehee hee

Dinomic Duo

• Captain Obvious
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • Megamario15
  • Who am I? Isn't it obvious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 07:20:01 PM »
Here's the full list of awards and nominees last year, that would be a good place to start looking for ideas for new whatever.
You think it'd be possible to have stuff relating directly to the wiki? Like "Best Featured Article" or something? There's probably not much you can do with the category, but I always thought it'd be a nice idea.
If we can get at least 10 nominations, we could possibly make it work.
Credit to df for my sig's formatting. | Your wish is my command. | Come and ask me stuff. | I <3 cheese!

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
speaking of tournaments, can we not have the mario kart tournaments at 9 am pst this year

I almost modified your post like 7 times I'm not used to this sort of power.

Anyways yeah it's one of my goals this year to make sure tournaments are taken better care of since they're probably the biggest attraction to the entire event.  Getting times to work for literally everyone is almost never possible but so long as everyone understands that things are as fair as possible and have been discussed with everyone signed up then I'm cool.  Happy players, happy Anton.

Dinomic Duo

• Captain Obvious
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • Megamario15
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 07:27:55 PM »

Anyways yeah it's one of my goals this year to make sure tournaments are taken better care of since they're probably the biggest attraction to the entire event.  Getting times to work for literally everyone is almost never possible but so long as everyone understands that things are as fair as possible and have been discussed with everyone signed up then I'm cool.  Happy players, happy Anton.
In that case, this is best done on weekends, at 4pm pst and 7pm est. Those are times that everyone is likely available.
Credit to df for my sig's formatting. | Your wish is my command. | Come and ask me stuff. | I <3 cheese!

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »
it depends on the geographical makeup of players

for example if it's mostly people in europe you'd wanna move it earlier for them

Iori Minase

• Little-devil idol
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • Iorin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »

lol

that sounds good, thanks
happy players, happy anton, happy tfp

hee heehee hee

Dinomic Duo

• Captain Obvious
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • Megamario15
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »
it depends on the geographical makeup of players

for example if it's mostly people in europe you'd wanna move it earlier for them
Then basically the TO must find the best times.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
Yup, I said that in my post a few above yours.

Anyways let's leave this topic more to actual suggestions.  Tournaments can be discussed in more detail when it comes up in AC meetings or in PM with me, Smasher, or Blocky if you have any immediate concerns.

Dinomic Duo

• Captain Obvious
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • Megamario15
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 08:08:04 PM »
OK.

Where are the rewards presented? That's the one part I missed over the last two years.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
OK.

Where are the rewards presented? That's the one part I missed over the last two years.

That's not a suggestion.  Please keep to suggestions.  But to answer, the ceremony is presented on the forum within this board on August 14th this year.

Dinomic Duo

• Captain Obvious
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • Megamario15
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »
Sorry.

Perhaps a... I got nothing right now.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 08:19:29 PM »
You don't need to make a comment after every post dude.  Please.  If you have nothing to say, don't say anything.  This is a serious topic meant for suggestions, nothing more.

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »
Adding onto what Anton said, it's quite clear you're commenting for the sake of it and your post count. From now on, I'm deleting any posts you make that aren't proper, actual suggestions.

Captain America

• Steve Rogers
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Avengers Assemble
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »
Smash tournament?

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 12:52:24 AM »
^that's already been put down on the list, we'll have ones for both 3ds and wii u assuming we can get people to host for them

weekly presentation progress checks maybe? that's not frequent enough to make it seem like you're breathing down people's necks. also, i probably could have avoided a lot of *bleep*ty situations had i sent those out to everyone :mario:

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 01:26:00 AM »
^that's already been put down on the list, we'll have ones for both 3ds and wii u assuming we can get people to host for them

weekly presentation progress checks maybe? that's not frequent enough to make it seem like you're breathing down people's necks. also, i probably could have avoided a lot of *bleep*ty situations had i sent those out to everyone :mario:

I've got a midway checkpoint planned already that I'm gonna do whether the AC wants me to or not :bowser:, but I'll put it to a vote eventually if they want it to be weekly.

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 04:49:20 AM »

Can you link the list? Is Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire there as well?

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 05:02:39 AM »

Can you link the list? Is Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire there as well?

The only list at the moment is that there's thoughts of having a pokemon and smash and etc. tournaments, nothing solidified, just games we'd like to see.  And by Ruby/Sapphire I assume you mean ORAS?