Game Suggestions

Well my parents just asked 'what do you want for Christmas' and I'm kind of at a loss of things I want since I don't particularly have anything in mind.

So if you could shoot some suggestions I'd be thankful. 3DS, Wii U, PS3, Wii, DS, PS2. If you want, you can check my backloggery before suggesting but it's ten times easier for you to just suggest games I might already have anyway along with games I don't.

Also if anybody has played an Etrian Oddysey, Star Ocean or Atelier game and wants to give their opinion on them that'd be great, since I'm kind of unsure about whether I want to try those.

I might end up not using any of these but any suggestions are good suggestions.

The Bayonetta games (getting one on Wii U gets you the other for free), Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Ōkami and/or its DS sequel Ōkamiden, the Sly games, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, the LEGO Batman games

well i know the remakes of star ocean 1 and 2 are good

as for 3

3 can be good, but playing on normal or above can be difficult as its pretty hard to get chain exp when enemies critical hit you a lot, makes leveling a hell of a lot harder

playing on easy for awhile though can get you the grip of the game

anyway star ocean 3 is fairly good, decent plot, good twist, a fairly good action battle system with lots of comboing and chain moves to add to the mix

star ocean 3 also has passive skills such as stat increases, cast reductions, but among other skills it allows you to create items or even upgrade equipment. All this is deeply explained later though, as there is a lot to it.

The game itself can be pretty hard though, especially later on, as its perfectly normal to be fighting bosses as pure random encounters(of course by then you're a lot stronger mind you).

The game also has a variety of different endings, as when you're near a town, city, etc. you can have the option of doing a private action, each character in the game(well aside from the protag who you mainly control) has certain events through private actions. This leads to friend points or fp if you like, building up enough can get that characters ending.

Unlike star ocean 2 though there are no romance points and there are far less endings(star ocean second evolution for example has 86 endings).

i should also note that a lot of characters in the game are actually optional, you can get a variety of different characters on your team and it should be noted that you only have 8 slots, so you cant get all the characters in one run, but ya know, more replay value i suppose.

There is a lot of side content too, usually the main game is around 40 hours to complete without side quests, with doing everything in the game i think i did everything and had about 200 hours of gameplay(so essentially 160 hours of side stuff).

The massive downside to this game though, is the fact that your mp being emptied can actually kill you. There are even enemies and bosses that strike your mp instead, but you can work this to your advantage as well. As you can make mp grenades and just toss them at the enemies to kill them, this strategy is actually highly recommended against the hardest boss in the game, as taking down 1 mil hp is quite difficult, especially considering how hard she is.

so to summerize it for you, crackin.

star ocean 3 can be compared to tales of games in turns of fun, but the character development isnt quite as strong because of no skits, but there is generally more content to be held with at least star ocean 2 and 3.

I definitely recommend downloading the etrian odyssey iv demo if you can. It's a good taste of what to expect, pretty lengthy for a demo, and your progress can be transferred to the main game.

or you could try Persona Q if you're into the series, I don't have it myself but it should be pretty heavily influenced by Etrian's gameplay.

edit: holy shit zae

Tsnowmugi Coaltobuki said:
I definitely recommend downloading the etrian odyssey iv demo if you can. It's a good taste of what to expect, pretty lengthy for a demo, and your progress can be transferred to the main game.

or you could try Persona Q if you're into the series, I don't have it myself but it should be pretty heavily influenced by Etrian's gameplay.

edit: holy shit zae

oh yeah persona is pretty good, well 2 and 3 are anyway, not sure about the rest of them.

Also crackin you should get nocturne if you can, very good game, story, characters, great difficulty, and a lot of things to do, however it is fairly long like most smt games.

aaaaaand yeah i wanted to fill him in on star ocean 3, but maybe i made my post too long?

idk, but really its a good game, although its difficulty can be a bit frustrating at times.

Bayonetta comes with both? Neat. I'll have a look to see if I like what I see. I already own Okami, though I barely played it.

So Star Ocean 3 would be the one to keep my eye on? The remakes of 1 and 2 are on P. SP (don't own) and you didn't mention anything about 4 so I'm just assuming 3 must be the one to play.

Also I'll get that Etrian Oddysey Demo. I forgot that existed lol.

well im sure you could play star ocean 2 on your ps2 if you have a ps1 memory card, but uh the voicing in the original is horrible so

also no welch and lack of dias pa's

as for star ocean 4..... it really sucks

the only good things is the music and the battle system

everything else is really bad, especially the characters.

I don't own a PS1 memory card so :x

4 looked pretty in screenshots but I guess that's all just appearance.

Well I found 3 (both discs, PAL) for $65 on eBay, the cheaper ones either don't show/mention both discs or just aren't PAL. I was kind of hoping for cheaper but w/e, maybe I can find a better deal if I look around more.

Back