Nintendo Files Patent on Game Boy Emulation on Phones, PCs and more

fantanoice

I can see through time
Pronouns
She / They
Nintendo has yet again filed another interesting patent which has been discovered by NeoGAF member, Rosti. The patent allows for emulation of classic Game Boy titles on various devices, including the latest smartphones and tablets. Here’s a description of the recently filed patent.

A software emulator for emulating a handheld video game platform such as GAME BOY.RTM., GAME BOY COLOR.RTM. and/or GAME BOY ADVANCE.RTM. on a low-capability target platform (e.g., a seat-back display for airline or train use, a personal digital assistant, a cell phone) uses a number of features and optimizations to provide high quality graphics and sound that nearly duplicates the game playing experience on the native platform. Some exemplary features include use of bit BLITing, graphics character reformatting, modeling of a native platform liquid crystal display controller using a sequential state machine, and selective skipping of frame display updates if the game play falls behind what would occur on the native platform.

Source: My Nintendo News

Well this is certainly different. I'm going to presume this was put in place so Nintendo can sue if someone makes an emulator available for these devices, though it's interesting to think that Nintendo may actually implement a Virtual Console on a non-Nintendo platform.

Re: Nintendo Files Patient on Game Boy Emulation on Phones, PCs and more

But people can already play emulated GBA games through their phone. And a ton of emulated games through PC.

P.S. Title should be "patent", not "patient".

Wow I can't spell today, thanks.

Also they can totally emulate them fine already but is Nintendo getting any money from it? Do you think that sits right with them?

Aren't emulations a type of very broad software that's hard to patent though?

santanoice said:
I'm going to presume this was put in place so Nintendo can sue if someone makes an emulator available for these devices, though it's interesting to think that Nintendo may actually implement a Virtual Console on a non-Nintendo platform.
personally I think this is the case as well, though it'd be nice if Nintendo actually used their new money-printing device

Back