Adding textures to a model?

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I downloaded this model: http://www.models-resource.com/custom_edited/marioseries/model/7585/

It comes with textures to add to it, but I know squat about how to do so. The model won't even open in Blender, and I get a ton of errors before it finally opens in 3DS Max. But how do I apply the textures to it? That interface is confusing as hell.

I want to get a 3D print made of it, but I need to pose it and texture it first. If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

Open the folder where the textures are via Windows Explorer or whatever browses your files, then click and drag them onto your mesh. This is for 3ds max

Uh yeah this is the hard part

To put it simply you have to create Bones for your character and rig his vertices over the bones. I'm still at school right now using this break time I have been given to browse the forums via smartphone so I won't post the steps yet until I get home at about 5:00 PTD

You can also edit the mesh to pose him but it's messier and less efficient than if you have a rigged model.

I thought this model was already rigged though. At least that's what I read in a post by the creator somewhere. Can't remember where, but I saw a post that says "He's fully rigged and everything" somewhere. It doesn't matter anymore anyway tho, I ordered it in the "T" position. The figurine should arrive in about a week, hopefully the glitched textures was only in the preview on the website, because it looks fine in 3DS Max.

Uh you can pose him.simply by moving his bones around then. You should get used tk the UI and how to navigate in 3ds max

Uh I think there may actually be a.problem if it looks "glitched". It tells me the UV map is off in that file format the 3d printer reads....hope my suspicion isn't justified.

Well I exported it as a .obj file with the textures and a .mtl file, put all that (including the texture files) in a zip file and uploaded that.

In 3DS Max, the model looked like this:
i9XTy.jpg

(I think I got the "inside the mouth" texture wrong, but that's not too bad of a dealbreaker, the one I used looks OK too)

Yeah I don't see a problem

However, if the model already has bones and is rigged to them, you can simply click on the bones, right click them, click "rotate", and you can rotate them.

Well I have no idea what the bones would look like or anything. I tried right clicking and saying rotate but it rotates the bat bowtie thing with both arms.
K1CmV.jpg

Press H. You'll see a list of items on view. See the icons? The sphere means a mesh, the other icon means it's a bone. The bones look like those stick-like geometric shapes, hence why they're called a skeleton.

Btw, why are you on pivot on that screenshot? That changes the way the vertex rotate, I suggest you don't edit that part.

Oh my... That's a lot of bones. It took too many tries to finally click the right one, I kept moving his arm without his hand... I have to zoom way out to even see where they are, then I have to get lucky and click the right one. Anyway I managed a simple pose

s6keR.jpg

The bones SHOULD be named, like it being named "Larm". If it's named "Bone10" or something, yeah that would be hard to find. Another way: Press H, select all your polygons (don't select bones), right click, click "Hide Selection". Now click on the bone you like to pose, right click, click "Unhide everything", and you're now selecting a bone you like to edit without selecting anything else.

OK I was able to pose the fingers:
vvtkx.jpg

Somewhat unrelated, but how would I go about putting this model (and others) in Garry's Mod? I'm currently downloading that on my computer. I have used it before, but I knew squat about how to import custom stuff into it. Hopefully I can figure that out now.

Can models be posed in GMod, or do they have to be posed in 3DS max and then put into gmod?

I'd like to port it in Gmod myself actually....I need to ask Peardian's permission to use the model though. Or maybe other people are gonna do it (after all someone called RandomTBush does the job of porting Peardian's models).

Once ported into Gmod, you can basically do anything with them, as they act like ragdolls in reality (dead people sorta), so you kinda avoid complex 3DS Max jargon and stuff. You basically use the Physgun from Half-Life to manipulate them. Plus you get the advantage of having an environment set up for you.

It's a bit complex making a port for Gmod though....it's basically like another type of Brawl hacking. The advantage is that you can make your own bones and they'll work fine. You don't need to pose him at all as the physics of the game will handle animations and stuff for you.

So I'm trying to make a scene of Bowser holding Antasma in his bat form, and for some reason Antasma's eyes keep snapping below his body. I keep moving them back, but when I try to move him they snap back below. Is there a reason for this?

It happens if you move the mesh instead of moving the bone. Move his root bone to move everything

Well I selected the whole thing so I don't know why only part of it was selected.

I have another problem: I imported a Bowser model and added the body texture:
MFpnl.jpg

When I add the eye texture, the whole body is covered with that texture. As you can see, the eyes are messed up when I add the body texture. Is there a way around this?

Fortunatey, yes there is

Click on that mesh, make a new modifier (on the dropdown menu to the right. First click on the blue rainbow-ish icon. You see on your screenshot? That blue rainbow thing? Yeah that.), the modifier should be "Edit Mesh", then, select by face. Select the affected faces, click and drag a bowser eye texture over the affected parts.

It's a running trend with Mario Sports Mix modes for some reason.

How do I select multiple faces? I tried dragging a square but I can't get all of them without also selecting some others.

The controls for selecting multiple.faces is very similar to selecting multiple things with an image editing program: hold shift (or was it control? I don't remember, it either selects or deselects) while clicking on faces.

OK, I got it now. I was using shift, but control worked.
al4EhxP.png

Funny, I also got Bowser's Super Mario Sunshine and Brawl models, neither seemed to be rigged as I couldn't find bones on them.

Is there a way to import Brawl models in .pac form into 3DS Max?

You can also play around with lights and rendering the image to look better.

Sadly ripped models are rarely rigged since most model rippers rip only the geometry and not the bones.

Oh yes most definitely! Open the .Pac file with Brawl Box, right click on the mdl and export it as a .dae file

OK I have run into a problem with the 3D print.

It seems some parts of the model (mostly his bow tie) are too thin. Is there any way I can make some minor changes to it to make the bowtie thicker?

How to edit the mesh while keeping the rig? I'll assume you know how to make the blue rainbow menu thing pop up.

Click on skin, scroll down and uncheck "always deform"

Then click on Editable Mesh. There will be a warning. Say yes.

Then made edits. Click on the bow tie element (select by element first) right click the model, click on "scale" make it fatter.

Then when you're done, go back to Skin and recheck "always deform"

Back