this infuriates me

Specific Neptune

how're you doin'
Pronouns
Any
43 dogs dead in a suspected arson attack in manchester

That's literally the scummiest thing a person can do. That's a place for freaking homeless dogs. It's like blowing up a children's hospital, it's awful. Whoever did this should be locked in a burning room, see how they like it. Anus.

this idiot is probably going to be a future serial killer

better lock him up for good

And I'm Javert said:
jesus. what could have possibly motivated this?

what did puppy shelters ever do to you?

if you're an anti-social psychopath, they don't care about anyone else or even understand their feelings

i really hope that person has an arson attack on their house, or arrested for animal abuse whichever one is worse

I agree with BLOF, the guy is seriously disturbed.

I hope he gets not only the punishment he deserves, but the help he needs.

Baby Luigi said:
And I'm Javert said:

if you're an anti-social psychopath, they don't care about anyone else or even understand their feelings

Being anti-social has little to do with murdering animals. You can be anti-social and still a relatively adjusted, upstanding citizen, sensible enough to not be an immoral disgrace to the human race.

You probably didn't mean to imply the contrary with your post, but I'd like to ask you to choose your words more carefully in such matters.

Gabumon said:
Being anti-social has little to do with murdering animals. You can be anti-social and still a relatively adjusted, upstanding citizen, sensible enough to not be an immoral disgrace to the human race.

You probably didn't mean to imply the contrary with your post, but I'd like to ask you to choose your words more carefully in such matters.
is this really so important though? i'm pretty sure most people don't assume anti social = psychopath

Gabumon said:

i'm pretty sure you're mistaking "anti-social" with "introversion" and "reclusive", which is a common mistake

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/antisocial-personality-disorder-symptoms/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social_behaviour

anti-social basically means the same as being psychopathic

Gabumon said:
Baby Luigi said:
And I'm Javert said:

I'm pretty sure it's the right way to call someone in psychology terms. An anti-social is "opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted". Which is basically no adherence to morals.

dictionary said:
of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated.

Sure, it also means "not being sociable", but that's the colloquial version, which I don't advise using, really.

Baby Luigi said:
i'm pretty sure you're mistaking "anti-social" with "introversion" and "reclusive", which is a common mistake

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/antisocial-personality-disorder-symptoms/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social_behaviour

anti-social basically means the same as being psychopathic
well that's an even sillier point than edo's - anti-social, reclusive, and introverted are all commonly used as synonyms
Maᴙio said:
Sure, it means "not being sociable", but that's the colloquial version, which I don't advise using, really.
if the colloquial version is commonly known and accepted, you may as well use it. that's how language works - as long as someone understands what you're saying, you're doing it right

just because it's commonly mis-used doesn't make it right.

think of it this way: just look at the prefix of the word

"anti-social" means that you're actively AGAINST society, and it portrays negativity and stuff

"asocial" means that you're ambivalent to it, and there's no negativity. it's the same as being apathetic

It really depends on the context, but I'm saying that "anti-social" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means. Same thing for words like "disinterested". Or "sanguine" and "sanguinary".

Drift said:
i really hope that person has an arson attack on their house, or arrested for animal abuse whichever one is worse
It's okay to wish for someone to be arrested and done justice, but don't wish for things like arson. Please.

Maᴙio said:
It really depends on the context, but I'm saying that "anti-social" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means.
oh that's right, you're going by the empirical definition of words (which would be what the dictionaries and established linguists say it is)

i personally go by the rational definition, which would be "if they get your meaning, you're right"

Anna said:
i personally go by the rational definition, which would be "if they get your meaning, you're right"

well that's fine, but misunderstandings happen for people who don't get the meaning behind the word when I'm technically using the word in a correct fashion as well

such as what our friend edo did

Well then my job is to educate and inform, which is what I did to him

Nah, we're sometimes really uptight and pedantic with language.

Baby Luigi said:

Thank you for educating me, o your highness. I have committed the gravest of sins: Reading a term the way people use it instead of how it is defined in the dictionary.

I am but a humble, peasant speaking in the dirty, colloquial tongues of the common folk, so I hope you can find it in your wise, eloquent heart to forgive me.

Gabumon said:
Baby Luigi said:

Thank you for educating me, o your highness. I have committed the gravest of sins: Reading a term the way people use it instead of how it is defined in the dictionary.

I am but a humble, peasant speaking in the dirty, colloquial tongues of the common folk, so I hope you can find it in your wise, eloquent heart to forgive me.

It's not really defined that way in the dictionary, it's still quite often used in this context today. As I explained, "anti" means totally AGAINST social norms while "a" means apathy or something.

I probably won't forgive you for your awful sins though

Back