Smash Bros. 4 LEAK - The Full Story (History & Analysis)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
So... There's quite a lot of unload with the leaks that have been revealed lately. For anyone who hasn't caught up on everything, watch this video to get up to speed (turn annotations on):

Here is the leaked video, BTW:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24k7n6_super-smash-bros-3ds-leaked-footage-shulk-bowser-jr-ganondorf-gameplay_fun

And some additional pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/PzeCw

It took me a while to wrap my head around all this (and to get over some sad/disappointing details), and it's hard to know where to start.

First off, I guess I should say I'm kind of disappointed that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are separate playable characters. I know Sakurai said with Lucina that if a similar character has enough differences between them and the original, no matter how slight, they will be their own character. I guess that kind of makes sense for Dr. Mario, with his Megavitamins and all (and honestly, I'm not THAT disappointed by him). Dark Pit, though... Ugh, it would take so long to explain my utter apathy towards Dark Pit and how I DON'T want him as anything other then an alternate costume... since even in the game he's from, he's literally an evil clone of Pit (even if I do like his characterization in said game compared to Pit's). I've slowly gotten over it, though, with something I'm going to bring up later.

Anyway, those two aside, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the characters revealed! Bowser Jr. is a character I was hoping for, and having him in the Koopa Clown Car is something I never even thought of! Shulk was also on my Top 10 list for a long time, it's awesome to see him playable, if only as a winking nod to the people of Operation Rainfall and all the support to get Xenoblade Chronicles released in America. The Duck Hunt Dog... Really, I wasn't expecting another WTF character after the Wii Fit Trainer, but much like the Wii Fit Trainer, sign me up because I love this decision, ESPECIALLY, if the artwork implies, the Duck Hunt Dog is going to have a duck helping him out!

Now for the returning characters... It seems that pretty much all the other expected veterans are returning, with the exception of Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake. Now, I wasn't really expecting Squritle or Ivysaur to return either way, but with the other guys... Well, I kind of feel a little sad that Lucas and the Ice Climbers are being cut... Then again, we ARE getting the Duck Hunt Dog, a far more iconic NES character from a game that's still good today, as opposed to two characters as one character from a mediocre game that, without Super Smash Bros., not one would even know or remember them. Still, I adore the Ice Climbers, really want to see a new game from them, but ah well... Also sad to see Lucas go, meaning Ness is the only EarthBound rep again. Really sucks, honestly, I feel like there should be at least two EarthBound/Mother reps.

Not that upset over Wolf gone, I think Fox and Falco are just fine (though I would prefer to have Krystal playable, but it seems that she's just a trophy yet again). Also, I was never a big fan of Snake in Super Smash Bros., even if he IS the reason why third-party characters got to be in Smash, so yeah.

Also, I heard another rumor that the remaining characters are Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Mach Rider and Impa. Supposedly it comes from the same guy that leaked this stuff, but I don't really trust it. Honestly, though, if it WAS true, and Ridley and Mewtwo ARE playable characters, it would make up for my disappointment with Dark Pit and Dr. Mario by a mile! And the Mach Rider, Sakurai's wanted him playable for some time! Impa's also my new most-wanted choice for a new The Legend of Zelda character! No mention of the Chorus Men, though... I wish I had a better source for all of this.

Anyway, I think that's all I wanted to say... Gosh, it's so hard to keep up with all of this.

supermariofan said:
So it's official? Ice Climbers and Wolf are...gone? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!
I thought Ice Climbers will return, but only as a single character.

supermariofan said:
So it's official? Ice Climbers and Wolf are...gone? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!
No. The leaker said they are in, but Ice Climbers are only one character.

Yoshi K said:
supermariofan said:
But everyone knows Nana is the best part of the duo. (maybe alternate costume at least, and maybe they can pair them back together for the Wii U version)

New Super Mario said:
maybe they can pair them back together for the Wii U version

It'd be weird to make only one character play differently in the other version considering they're keeping both rosters the same, so that's more than likely not going to happen.

Yoshi K said:
supermariofan said:
Why just include one ice climber? Their whole appeal was the dual character mechanic. There's no point in bringing them back if there's only one.

While I agree they're better as a duo, I'd much rather just have one than I would have them cut entirely.

supermariofan said:
To be quite honest Nana was kinda useless
Actually, the CPU buddy is basically the entire reason the Ice Climbers are considered one of the best characters in both Melee AND Brawl.

Back