Author Topic: Suggestions for Next Year  (Read 10718 times)

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:11 PM »
Like, maybe folks will start to feel like they only got on the short list or only won because all the other, more-well-liked people were ineligible (i.e. in five years, pretend I win, but being the self-depreciative pessimist that I am, I just think "I only won because V, W, X, Y and Z are all off the ballot - I'm still totally number 6 forevarrr, boo hoo hoo").
If that is the feeling the award inspires in people, then I'm not sure why we even have it in the first place.
To be clear, I don't actually currently feel "I'm still totally number 6 forevarrr, boo hoo hoo" or anything like that, and I hope no one else feels along those lines either. I am concerned about it becoming a hollow "everybody gets a turn winning" thing, but I'm a cynic.

Besides, I don't think we even need that change: the votes were very close, and could easily go a different way next year even without striking Hypnotoad and SMB and whatnot off the ballot. All things considered, the award's pretty fun: the dossiers makes it feel more than a popularity contest, and the results (not just who wins, but the standings in general) are always interesting and often surprising. imho, at any rate.

Boo4761

• Shine Sprite
  • Ignore my older posts pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
I would like to host a MarioWiki Jeopardy tournament next year.
Nothing to see here

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »
Any ideas yet on how you're going to do that?  For one, you're definitely going to need to impose a time limit to prevent people from just searching for the answer.

Drift

• christmas in july?
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • Driftmaster130
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »
Most Underrated character?
Make it happen.
has Drift finally lost his *bleep*? or is he once again pretending that his brother is using his account? will little Ricky be reunited with Lucy?

tune in next time for the exciting adventures of: Drift: A Bleepposting Tale

Doof

• I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • DragonFreak
  • Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
Any ideas yet on how you're going to do that?  For one, you're definitely going to need to impose a time limit to prevent people from just searching for the answer.
Honor system?  Yeah maybe not.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
Minimum expectations for presentations, including:
*Not just simply lists
*Must be relevant to the award being presented
I agree with this. There was some stuff that, while neat, didn't focus at the Awards at all, instead just a random adventure that really could have been placed at Fan Creations and Userpedia anytime, followed by director-created results.

In addition, a midway checkpoint just to get a feeling of where everyone's at
How should I imagine this?

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
Minimum expectations for presentations, including:
*Not just simply lists
*Must be relevant to the award being presented
I agree with this. There was some stuff that, while neat, didn't focus at the Awards at all, instead just a random adventure that really could have been placed at Fan Creations and Userpedia anytime, followed by director-created results.

Yeah we're aware of that and it was already addressed personally.

In addition, a midway checkpoint just to get a feeling of where everyone's at
How should I imagine this?

*4 weeks before presentations are due*

PM:
"Hey ______ how's your ________ presentation going?  If you want, could you show us what you've got done so far?  Do you think you'll need an extension or someone to cover for you?  Any other concerns?

Thanks"

And then if someone doesn't reply at all to it and is showing signs of just having vanished then we can replace them more than a week in advance.

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »
If we do that, though, would it be possible to give the presenters more notice on the results of the awards?

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2014, 07:46:36 PM »
The presenters get the results as soon as the hosts can give them to you.  Any sooner and you'd have to sort through the write-ins yourself.

But the reason for the midway checkpoint isn't to see if you're done, it's just to see if you've even begun working on it or if you're gonna slack off and wait until 3 days beforehand and then cry to the hosts to get an extension, or just straight-up don't do it.

Boo4761

• Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
I will make sure they don't cheat. Which it will be a rule in my tourney.
Nothing to see here

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »
ok that's nice but how do you plan to actually make sure they don't cheat other than saying "hey don't cheat"?

Boo4761

• Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
ok that's nice but how do you plan to actually make sure they don't cheat other than saying "hey don't cheat"?
I'll put the rule on the topic and when I find out a player is cheating he/she will probably lose tokens.
Nothing to see here

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
You're not understanding.  You're not going to be able to just psychically tell if someone has google/mariowiki searches open in other tabs and simply saying "don't do that" is not going to deter people.

You need an actual thing that will prevent that, for example a time limit on answering questions because people won't be able to search for a correct answer and then report back with it before their time is up.

Boo4761

• Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »
You're not understanding.  You're not going to be able to just psychically tell if someone has google/mariowiki searches open in other tabs and simply saying "don't do that" is not going to deter people.

You need an actual thing that will prevent that, for example a time limit on answering questions because people won't be able to search for a correct answer and then report back with it before their time is up.
Your right! A time limit will work. I'll give them like 30 seconds.
Nothing to see here

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »
you underestimate the time it takes to know absolutely any quick fact with google, but, the timing can be discussed and decided on your own and with whoever you're working on the game with if you choose to have a partner

Kart Player 2008

• Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • 3D Player 2004
  • Your local Luigi, Daisy, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2014, 08:17:58 PM »
I have an idea!

How about a fail award for the worst Koopaling.

Two

• The second sister
  • Donkey Kong
  • LN1
  • L - N - 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
Existed in previous years, wasn't done this year.

Shiny Pichu

• ffff*bleep*
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
  • well at least I'm not Honoka's #5 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:44 PM »
I think the reason was something along the lines of "Choosing a worst koopaling would imply there isn't eight worst koopalings."

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
No, there's already Favorite Koopaling.  If you want to figure out the Worst, then just read the Favorite results backwards.  Fail awards shouldn't be direct opposites of Mario awards because it's redundant.