Author Topic: Suggestions for Next Year  (Read 11497 times)

Two

• The second sister
  • Donkey Kong
  • LN1
  • L - N - 1
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 12:11:46 AM »
I mean, sure, there's inevitably the type of people that hate TTYD and/or Dream Team, but bar the three you propose, I can't think of any fairly hated Mario RPG.

John Barrowman

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 12:11:51 AM »
can't really see it working tbh

Stargazing

• One who claims to know everything... really knows nothing at all.
  • Celestial Guide
  • Galaxy Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 12:13:09 AM »
well then time to keep my word and strangle someone
Fair enough.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 12:24:07 AM »
While some more Fail awards inspired by Mario awards may be good ideas, I don't feel that turning the Fail awards in basically Nega-Mario Awards would be a good, or creative, idea.

Try to keep that in mind when sifting through new Fail ideas and deciding which ones to keep or toss out.

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 12:26:09 AM »
Maybe put something in place to prevent an overabundance of one line posts mentioning only how many trifectas and tokens you got while adding absolutely nothing else of value to the discussion.

Idk, it's worth a thought.

Or maybe there could be an extra thread dedicated to such comments.

"To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation."
 --G. C. Lichtenberg

Mario4Ever

• Lucius Needful
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • A price for everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 01:16:31 AM »
Minimum expectations for presentations, including:
*Not just simply lists
*Must be relevant to the award being presented

In addition, a midway checkpoint just to get a feeling of where everyone's at, and a chance to prep a backup more than a week before.  The details of how this would function I'm not entirely sure of yet, but I think it's something that should be done.

In addition to this, people who do not respond to inquiries about their progress by the submission and/or presentation deadlines should be banned from the forum for the duration of the ceremony (i.e. this needs to be in writing and made aware to all prospective presenters once sign-ups are opened).
[...]This is the best weekend I've had since Salem.

Grima

• Tactician of Ylisse
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • GBAToad
  • do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 01:36:33 AM »
Maybe put something in place to prevent an overabundance of one line posts mentioning only how many trifectas and tokens you got while adding absolutely nothing else of value to the discussion.

I reckon the Guess the Results thread would be the most appropriate place for *bleep*posts about trifectas/tokens but then again perhaps outright banning 'em until after the ceremonies (and even then only allowing them in that thread) would be better (and way less annoying)

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
  • "The hated boss who beats you down..."
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 02:04:38 AM »
I think outright banning "Trifecta" or "Gold/Silver/Bronze trifect" or any form of "well I didn't get X, Y, Z on GTR" is for the better because it seems that's what half the posts in the threads, Fail and Mario specifically, are.

On a side note, for those that want to suggest awards, remember that there needs to be a reasonable amount of nominees with little to no bleeding into the other awards. For example, something like Worst Koopaling and Worst Baby do not work because there's only 7 Koopalings and like 10 babies total and it would mesh with Fave Koopaling and Fave Baby while Fave and Worst Galaxy do work because there are over 90 different galaxies. That is why Worst RPG and Fave/Worst Princess won't work, Worst RPG clashes with favorite RPG and there are only like 5 or 6 notable princesses in the games.

Duskull

• Spooky Ghost
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshi876
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 04:42:04 AM »
What about either Worst of Best Smash Bros. stage? Including all games

santanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • fantanoice
  • Happy Holidays!
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 06:23:52 AM »

This is my first awards and I kinda feel this. Having the discussions in the same thread kinda buried the actual presentation posts and made them a bit hard to find. Maybe next year have a thread separate for discussion and have one dedicated to the presentations, or maybe update the OP with the new presentations / link to the posts with the presentations in them? I dunno.

other than the obvious inclusion of :pgp: in worst character, I can't think of any reasonable suggestions
More like best character.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:25:31 AM by Yui Hirasawa »
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

<< Watch Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee Nuzlocke Stream >>
Ask Me Stuff

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »
I personally would like some of the presentations to be shorter, since it's hard to read them all and keep up with the awards, but at the end of the day I suppose that's the preference of whoever is making the presentation.

Kart Player 2008

• Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • 3D Player 2004
  • Your local Luigi, Daisy, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »
Best Mario Spinoff Series:
Mario Party
Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Other

John Barrowman

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
I personally would like some of the presentations to be shorter, since it's hard to read them all and keep up with the awards, but at the end of the day I suppose that's the preference of whoever is making the presentation.
next year i'll be making a shorter presentation, don't you worry about that my boy

Yoshi K

• Not an idiot... Maybe
  • Shine Sprite
  • Come with me if you want cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 09:31:30 AM »
Instead of Best Princess, maybe a Best Female character so that you can include characters like Toadette (and Birdo?).

He would talk in that ear-grating voice until the other fighters fall off the stage.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »
Also something to get more voters to uh....vote...for Shroom and UP.  I guess those details are to be worked out within each respective group, but hey, heads up on that!
Per this. Maybe linking the dossiers in the issue of the Shroom they correspond to would help, instead of just here and one unassuming line on the general votes page ("this document" sounds more like reference material anyway - I was actually a bit surprised when I saw that the polls were there too, expecting only the dossiers, although it makes sense putting them together).

Quality > quantity, yes, but the only problem is that if you're doing a text-based presentation, anything that's under five minutes' worth of reading might feel lacking in both criteria. Like, I could write a 5-minute drabble in 10-20 minutes, but would feel like a slacker when compared to, say, a comic that can be read in 2 minutes, but took 5 hours to draw.

If something's long, I just make note of it and come back and read it later. Granted, I don't care about 90% of these results and only come for the entertainment, but still.

Natsuki

• Formerly randombob-omb
  • Shine Sprite
  • Boo4761
  • Ignore my older posts pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
A best Mario Kart Character award, make it happen.
Discord: PancakeLord117#8493

Kazooie

• Red-crested Breegull
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "That's nice."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 10:43:28 AM »
With the way the internet can be at times, I'm worried a "best female character" award would regress into a "who has the honkiest set of Megahorns" contest. I'd rather not pander at the gawkers.

Plus, singling out female characters like that kind of rubs me the wrong way. It creates the illusion that being female is somehow an odd, alien concept that needs to be examined separately, when it actually should not matter at all in regards to respectability.

So pls no "best female" award.

"To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation."
 --G. C. Lichtenberg

Kart Player 2008

• Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • 3D Player 2004
  • Your local Luigi, Daisy, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »
With the way the internet can be at times, I'm worried a "best female character" award would regress into a "who has the honkiest set of Megahorns" contest. I'd rather not pander at the gawkers.

Plus, singling out female characters like that kind of rubs me the wrong way. It creates the illusion that being female is somehow an odd, alien concept that needs to be examined separately, when it actually should not matter at all in regards to respectability.

So pls no "best female" award.

agreed with everything in this post.

Kazuma

• Pedo-NEET
  • Star Spirit
  • Icemario
  • "yes I'm kazuma"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »
Best (and worst) Mario Party Board?

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
  • "Stuff it, sponge brain!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »
It's obvious Rosalina would win best female character.