Star vs. the Forces of Evil

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff

Created by Daron Nefcy, a former storyboard revisionist for Wander Over Yonder, Star vs. the Forces of Evil is set to be the first show created and run by a female showrunner on Disney XD. ...This WAS going to be a Disney Channel original, but since Disney REALLY wants that network to stick to it's dumb tween image (as evidenced by moving Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder to Disney XD), we're getting it on the other channel. I would have been annoyed by this, but honestly, with all three of these shows, plus Phineas and Ferb (if that IS still any good, which I honestly don't know, since I don't watch it) and The D7 (which is being run by Tom Ruegger, the creator of Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs), I'd say Disney XD is starting to become a new home for some of the best (or at least some of the better) shows in animation, kind of like Disney back in the 80's and 90's. Heck, if I recall correctly, Disney XD used to be Toon Disney, which I watched all the time when I was growing up, so it's almost a return to form... sort of.

But anyway, back to this show in particular. The basic premise is this: Star Butterfly is a a magical princess from outer space who, as the title of this show implies, battles the forces of evil. She soon comes to Earth to live with the Diaz family, and while on Earth, she continues to battle the forces of evil while also going to high school (ho boy, here we go again) and also figuring out the powers of her magic wand. The premise, I'm not going to lie, sounds INCREDIBLY cliche, especially the whole "high school" aspect, which I'm so sick to death of...

But seeing this teaser made me reconsider. I really like the design ove this show. The way the characters are drawn feels really similar to certain other shows I've seen, though I can't exactly think of which ones, other then the obvious one (Wander Over Yonder). I also like the designs of the monsters she fights, it's a cool juxtaposition of being cutsie while also being scary and/or gruesome, kind of like how The Powerpuff Girls used to be. Other things about the teaser, like the guy accompanying Star (I'm assuming that's Marco Diaz, the teenager son of the Diaz family). He seems relatively competent (he knows karate after all), so hopefully he won't just be dead weight whenever Star fights evil. Also, they seem to travel to all sorts of places and meet all sorts of neat characters.

You know what, I'm suddenly reminded of Steven Universe, which is another show that's created by a female showrunner. Mystic, otherworldly powers, self-discovery and character growth, simplistic yet expressive character designs... That reminds me I REALLY need to catch up with that show, I'm like way behind...

Anyway, this seems like a cool show, and yet another one to look out for when it finally airs in 2015!

yeah idk i'm not really interested in this show but the intro reminded me of steven universe and scott pilgrim for some reason so i may be tempted to give it a look

Back