Just imported a Japanese 3DS, having trouble connecting to the Internet.

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
Just a heads-up, I can't read Japanese. I got this 3DS so I could play Smash 4 next month instead of waiting an extra month. But I was planning to download the game digitally when it released in Japan. I cannot seem to connect it to the Internet. When I use mHotspot on my laptop, it connects for about a minute then disconnects. But then again, everything does that when connecting to the hotspot on my laptop. So I tried my mom's laptop; it connects and blue bars appear, then it sits on the "connecting" screen for like 5 minutes before giving me a big red X. Then mHotspot says "Error retrieving client details" or something like that. Is it because the 3DS is japanese or is it some other problem? And if I go to McDonald's tomorrow will I have the same problem?

(By the way I have a phone with Internet, but I'm not risking it right now as my data is over 90% gone right now)

Does the wifi on every other system/phone/computer/whatever you have still work? Do you have access to a North American 3DS to test things out with? And do you have access to wifi that's not mcdonald's or a make0shift connection through a laptop?

My hindsight bias two-cents is maybe you should've figured out if this would've worked before tossing a ton of cash in the air because you can't wait a month. Are you able to return them and get a full refund?

Morty said:
Does the wifi on every other system/phone/computer/whatever you have still work? Do you have access to a North American 3DS to test things out with? And do you have access to wifi that's not mcdonald's or a make0shift connection through a laptop?

My hindsight bias two-cents is maybe you should've figured out if this would've worked before tossing a ton of cash in the air because you can't wait a month. Are you able to return them and get a full refund?
I just tested it with my phone, and it connected fine. It used up the data connection though so I have to wait and go to McDonalds tomorrow. But I think it should work now, the problem seems to be with my laptop's hotspot.

So I got it working and am posting from the japanese 3ds browser. However Miiverse and the eShop do not work. The eShop worked earlier at McDonalds though. Is there a reason its not working here?

Miiverse and the eShop are probably stuff related to your NNID.

I was able to add money to the eShop though.

Miiverse just gave me an error code when I tried to go to it, I haven't even had the chance to set up an NNID on this 3DS.

Well you need to add/create a NNID to be able to purchase on the eshop and use Miiverse anyway.

Birdo said:
Well you need to add/create a NNID to be able to purchase on the eshop and use Miiverse anyway.
I already added some money with a credit card without using an NNID (Unless the random question when setting up the system was for an NNID, I couldn't tell so I entered "dinner," pretty sure that NNID would have been taken)

Back