Suggest 3DS games for me

Icemario

Star Spirit
So upon a random impulse, I decided to check my savings... and apparently I have £143, more than twofold my expectations. So I realized it was time to consider splurging on a game or two, but I don't know what. This is where you people come in to suggest things. And for the moment, this is restricted to 3DS retail games only.

I bought a £15 eShop card, now I'm looking for suggestions on what to spend it on.

Refer to this to see how much I like the games I have, and this to see what I currently have when recommending so you may have a better idea of what to suggest.

And as before, preferably comment on these if you've played them, and feel free to suggest games that aren't on that list that you'd think I like. I particularly adore RPGs, but suggestions don't need to be limited to that genre and I can stand most other ones at least.

Dormant considerations:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl

triple deluxe looks rly good
ive been wanting to play it but i havent had time so id say go for that

Tales of The Abyss is a really good RPG, I have over 300 hours logged on
Tomodachi Life is pretty funny if you want some comedy

Not sure how I missed Tales of the Abyss again, but added because I know it's a very promising game.

At most, I'll probably actually decide sometime after a week or two or if I know which one(s) I'd like to get sooner.

digital: another world: 20th anniversary edition (inspired stuff like Ico and SoTC)
digital: tomodachi life (trust me, you'll want this as a digital title; it's 400+ megs, but worth it :P)
digital: every/one of the picross e# games, whether e1, e2, e3, e4, or all 4
digital: VVVVVV (AMAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING)
retail: MGS3: snake eater 3D (pretty much the PS2 version with upgraded visuals; it might be better than the HD version due to portability)

IcicleRain said:

Going to emphasise on this a little since I'm probably the only person who'll recommend it
>Best characters, character development and interaction in any non-fire emblem game I've played
>Hilarious at times yet heartbreaking at others
>Ridiculous amount of side-quests and you can't even do half of them until playthrough no.2-main game takes about 60 hours as well
>The soundtrack is fucking epic
>Looks gorgeous in the 3D
>Tackles some mature subjects and made me think a little about life (but it's not really too ponderous)

Vince McMahon said:
digital: another world: 20th anniversary edition (inspired stuff like Ico and SoTC)
digital: tomodachi life (trust me, you'll want this as a digital title; it's 400+ megs, but worth it :P)
digital: every/one of the picross e# games, whether e1, e2, e3, e4, or all 4
digital: VVVVVV (AMAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING)
retail: MGS3: snake eater 3D (pretty much the PS2 version with upgraded visuals; it might be better than the HD version due to portability)

Another World and Tomodachi Life look hilarious though I need to look into the former a bit more, Picross looks cool so I'll sample one of the games soon, from the run I watched VVVVVV looks painful but it's in consideration, and I'm terrible at stealth games but my brother likes Snake so I might coax him into getting it for me eventually.

IcicleRain said:
IcicleRain said:

Going to emphasise on this a little since I'm probably the only person who'll recommend it
>Best characters, character development and interaction in any non-fire emblem game I've played
>Hilarious at times yet heartbreaking at others
>Ridiculous amount of side-quests and you can't even do half of them until playthrough no.2-main game takes about 60 hours as well
>The soundtrack is *bleep*ing epic
>Looks gorgeous in the 3D
>Tackles some mature subjects and made me think a little about life (but it's not really too ponderous)

While your comments back up my current thoughts on this game, I feel I should mention I'll have to wait a few months to get this because I asked for this a few weeks ago and my family apparently have something against the name of it. So I'll probably get this as soon as I get back to school or my brother heads off to university again, most likely.

You either love Tomodachi Life or hate it, so I recommend trying the demo first if you're interested in buying it. Haven't played Kirby:TD yet, but I've heard it's great.

Gonna preach this a little more, but if you like visual novel-type things such as Ace Attorney then you can't go wrong with downloading Virtue's Last Reward, though you'll enjoy/understand it a whole lot more if you play it's DS predecessor 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors first (and most people get pissed if you don't). All I can say is they both take about 40 hours each to complete, and both of them have really worthwhile/rewarding plots unlike anything I've ever played (definitely severe in places, but not totally horrific).

So if you can, pick 'em both up (999 might be difficult to obtain in the UK) and you won't regret it. But, if you've got other things in mind then it's probably best to go with those lol.

Azusa Nakano said:
VVVVVV looks painful but it's in consideration
If you're gonna get VVVVVV (it's awesome) you should get the PC version because it's packed with more content for less. I got the 3DS version for portability and don't have any complaints aside from the lack of a level editor, though it really should've had one for the price it was.

Rolling Western is amazing (though I'm super biased, so...), Gunman Clive is a nice little cheap platformer and it's pretty fun so if you've got leftover funds from getting whatever then go for that.

I haven't played it myself, but I assume seeing as it's up there you're interested in the game, but I've heard that Hydroventure is really good.

After playing the demo again this morning, I ended up finding Tomodachi Life mediocre to play (though for some reason it's still hilarious watching others play it) and probably won't buy it at this point.

If I recall right there's a demo of Virtue's Last Reward on the eShop, so if it really is there and doesn't have a high age rating, do you know if I'll need to know the events of 999 to understand/enjoy the demo more?

The only problem with getting the PC version of VVVVVV is I literally never use my PC for gaming and like the portability as well, so I could probably live without an editor whenever I get this.

To be honest the more I replay of the original Dillon's Rolling Western the more I want the sequel, so I feel like that's set in stone at this point.

Besides the trailer music sounding like Donkey Kong Country music, Gunman Clive almost sold me with its trailer, the gameplay looks solid and that artstyle is pretty cool.

The trailer of Hydroventure made me want it, but I still haven't quite been pushed to the point of deciding to buy it yet.

To be honest at this point I feel like I'll just get Kirby: Triple Deluxe (or Virtue's Last Reward if it convinces me with the demo when I play it), Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger, Gunman Clive, PICROSS e, and something else if I have any change left since I guess I could wait for Shovel Knight since it's apparently not coming here for a while. So that's £37 + however much Gunman Clive and PICROSS e cost, which should probably leave me with something.

SMAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!!! If you wait until October 3!

SUPERZ said:
SMAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!!! If you wait until October 3!

The game(s) is/are meant to keep me satisfied for the summer and I'm getting that when it comes out anyway, so anything that isn't out yet is already excluded from the list.

If I have money left (and I should), I'll probably get that as well, but I'll mark it in the OP as a memo.

Kirby Triple Deluxe (or whatever the European Version is called).

I personally enjoyed it. It's a lot like Return to Dreamland both in style and general gameplay. However most of the new Copy Abilities are a blast. I especially enjoy Archer and Bell. The transporting between the background "gimmick" isn't really that much of a bother for me and adds a bit of the exploration. That's another thing, while it's nowhere near as nonlinear as Amazing Mirror, there is a certain amount of depth :dk: to the levels. In each level, there is a Rare Keychain, which you must look through the level to find it. There are also the Sun Stones which replace the Energy Spheres in RTDL. It may be a bit annoying for some of them, but overall I enjoyed it. And the level design is pretty creative as well. The Hypernova it introduces is a lot more interesting than the Super Abilities because you aren't rushing through the level to get to the subspace thing (such a thing doesn't exist here anyway), and there's plenty of puzzles to solve from it.

That's not the only thing though. Along with the main story, there's also Kirby Fighters and Dedede's Drum Dash. Dedede's Drum Dash is a silly rhythm minigame where you must bounce across drums to get to the goal while keeping in time with the music and collecting coins to increase the score. Kind of like the Challenges in RTDL. It's alright but after clearing all the levels it feels a little boring trying to do so again. And if you're going to go for Platinum rank, you might feel like rage quitting on the later levels, but maybe not you're pretty chill.

On the other hand, Kirby Fighters is just a blast. I mean seriously, when waiting for Smash 4, this is what held me over. Pick and ability and be the last one standing. Alternatively, there's a mode sort of like Classic Mode in pre-4 smash games. There is a couple huge downsides to this though, and that is not every ability can be used, and there's no online play. For what it is, it's loads of fun though.

Overall, I enjoyed Triple Deluxe. There was lots to do and when I got it for my birthday last year, that's what the week was devoted to. You're looking at a die hard Kirby fan, and while it might not be better than SSU, it's still phenomenal. There's plenty of collectibles for the completionist, there's the classic speed through the level for the speed runners, and exploration and puzzle aspects as well. I highly recommend it

Quite convincing, though out of interest, how much time have you logged into the game thus far?

a measly 52:36. Not nearly as much as ACNL or SSB or something you can't really beat, but it's one of those things like Super Star Ultra and Squeak Squad, once you 100% everything it's a while before you go through another run of it. I'd also like to point out that I know how Kirby works and can point out things that they'd most likely do where it'd be easy to find things (like the Rare Keychain of 6-8) and could find where things are faster than the average person. You've played Super Star Ultra and a couple others if I'm correct, but the similarities are more connected to RTDL. There's also unlockable modes I didn't point out (because spoilers) but if you want to know them I'd tell you.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl. Good RPG, I enjoyed it immensely. Story Mode was pretty good and gives you 5 characters (with 2 exclusive classes not in Classic; Highlander & Gunner). Classic Mode gives you a choice of 9 different classes each with unique styles. Pretty long if you're going for 100%. Also, hard mode is really hard. Not impossible though, which makes it good. Alternatively you can get Etrian Odyssey IV for a game with a less linear dungeon experience or Etrian Mystery Dungeon if you want a difficult MD game. I haven't played the latter two so that's just from what I've heard.

Senran Kagura Burst ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Maki Nishikino said:
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl. Good RPG, I enjoyed it immensely. Story Mode was pretty good and gives you 5 characters (with 2 exclusive classes not in Classic; Highlander & Gunner). Classic Mode gives you a choice of 9 different classes each with unique styles. Pretty long if you're going for 100%. Also, hard mode is really hard. Not impossible though, which makes it good. Alternatively you can get Etrian Odyssey IV for a game with a less linear dungeon experience or Etrian Mystery Dungeon if you want a difficult MD game. I haven't played the latter two so that's just from what I've heard.
Oooh, RPGs.

Apparently there's a demo of the former on the eShop, I'll certainly be looking into that at least.

Maki Nishikino said:
Pfft, please.

EOU is incredibly enjoyable from what I've played, and if I weren't playing like six (or more) RPGs at once right now, I would totally get it.

But that's not the case, so I'll probably just get either Triple Deluxe or Majora's Mask 3D (recommended by people on IRC) instead as the second game. Currently leaning towards Triple Deluxe because it's cheaper.

Maki Nishikino said:

I second this, and I'm serious.

A game made for the sole premise that people would like to see 3d boobs is well worth your attention.

Back