Thoughts toward the 3DS/WiiU generation so far?

Dorayaki

King Bowser
I know it's somewhat like Nintendo and Miyamoto's illness/realness, but I'm still surprised that only very few games released since 3DS generation can really interest me or persuade me to buy the consoles. My exceptions are the Kart games.

In marketing views, the major titles were released in order to give new consumers a wide selection, and other original games have to come later. But it's kinda like the very major titles didn't meet the general standards. What do you guys think?

SMB mainstream games: NSMB2 and NSMBU are majorly criticized for rehashing and no improvements. 3D series is a new try and beginnig, and it also introduced new playable (but debatable) multiple character selections and individual playabilities.

Sport games: Many of them are sequels to previous generation, and as results they're pretty like old tricks. Camelot games totally skip human world characters, and the character roster is still very restricted (not adding the regulars from 3DS titles mentioned below).

Other non-mainstream Mario titles: Most of the games are for 3DS so far. Sticker Star is a controversial addition to Paper series. Dream Team, Minis on the Move and LM2 had average performances.

Subseries: Both DKC and Warioware get belated updates, but they're not in 3DS versions yet.

It has its ups and downs

+'s
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D World
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario 3D Land
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8

-'s
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Mario Party: Island Tour
Mario Tennis Open (personally liked this game though)
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games
Yoshi's New Island
Game & Wario
New Super Luigi U

Baby Luigi said:
-'s: Mario Tennis Open (personally liked this game though)
Same. I spent hours, days, even weeks unlocking every single character, QR character, every single star character, and everything in the item shop I'm still working on all the costumes and buying everything.

I really liked the 3DS/Wii U era. There were some bad games, but every console had those.

Here's how I wasted my time

RecordExhihibitionModeMTO.png

It's basically Baby Mario beating everyone Star Ace in Exhibition records.

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
It's basically Baby Mario beating everyone Star Ace in Exhibition records.
I see it now, my internet sucked last night, lol.

Dorayaki said:
Subseries: Both DKC and Warioware get belated updates, but they're not in 3DS versions yet.
Actually, if this counts, there is Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.

No proper WarioWare MAKES ME (midly) UPSET.

Dream Team, Minis on the Move and LM2 had average performances.

How was Dark Moon's performance "average" by any metric? Lol.

No Mario RPG that blew me away on a Paper Mario 64 or SPM level yet.

Mario & Luigi: dream Team was okay I guess but in retrospect it was prety tame compared to other Mario RPGs.

Jolteon said:
Baby Luigi said:
-'s: Mario Tennis Open (personally liked this game though)
Same. I spent hours, days, even weeks unlocking every single character, QR character, every single star character, and everything in the item shop I'm still working on all the costumes and buying everything.

I really liked the 3DS/Wii U era. There were some bad games, but every console had those.
You refer to this Gen as if it's over now.

"So far" doesn't sound like it.

Nintendo's fascination with gimmicks seems to serve them for the worse in the long run. The 3DS's 3D hurts my eyes and the system itself hurts my giant hands, and the Wii U's touchscreen is almost unnecessary. Despite that, both have backwards compatibility and realise their purpose as games consoles, rather than multimedia devices.

The 3D can be turned off and the Wii U Gamepad has untapped potential. Besides, it's still a better deal than having a DVD/music player, since THAT'S a billion times more useless than a Gamepad OR the 3D effect.

Back