A question for all F-Zero fans.

3D Player 2004

Your local Luigi, Daisy, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong fan
Banned User
Would you give up on Captain Falcon appearing in Smash Bros 4 (replaced by another Mario Character) for a new actual mainstream F-Zero game?

That's a freaking terrible idea

Absolutely.

Who cares about one smash character appearance, I'd much rather have a full F-Zero game than one character making it into SSB4.

...if the game is good, that is.

As much as I'd like to see F-Zero revived, I personally wouldn't want to sacrifice Captain Falcon's Smash appearance for one to happen.

Dr. Javelin said:
Absolutely.

Who cares about one smash character appearance, I'd much rather have a full F-Zero game than one character making it into SSB4.

...if the game is good, that is.
I am actually with Dr. Javelin here. I never played F-Zero before, but I really want to, and I would also love to see a modern game. Same with a lot of dead franchises.

Let me guess the Mario character you had in mind.

:daisy:
hiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisyhiimdaisy

Maybe Ice Climbers or a character like that, but Smash Bros. is not Smash Bros. without Falcon.

Perhaps another Pokemon representative would take his place, though despite what you are pointing out, there are not a certain amount of characters required, so no one would have to take his place. Think of it as maybe Little Mac took his place, or Villager. No one has to take his place, rather he could just not be there.

My theory is that they make huge lists of characters that people want to be playable and in order to cut it down to a predefined number, they make cuts, mostly against deserving Mario and Pokemon reps.

The number could constantly be changing though, and perhaps within the number, they do not need to replace Captain Falcon, since they would already have many characters, whose to say which one of the newcomers could have replaced captain falcon. Besides, despite the fact that I have never really played an F-Zero game (excluding the treasure it lets you play in brawl) I would be kinda upset if he was not in the new game.

3D Player 2004 said:
My theory is that they make huge lists of characters that people want to be playable and in order to cut it down to a predefined number, they make cuts, mostly against deserving Mario and Pokemon reps.

They do make character lists. But they prioritize most characters that were in previous games before newcomers. Captain Falcon being a character from the very first SSB game should be high priority. As well as most if not all Melee characters that returned in Brawl. Plus most of the Starter Newcomers from Brawl, or really really popular inclusions like Sonic should all be in the high priority range. (You could say Jigglypuff is an example of a character that's been low priority in Brawl before. But she made it in before Mewtwo that's for sure. And considering Toon Link was just as low priority in Brawl but he's already been confirmed for SSB4 since September of last year. Priority may not exactly be the same as it was in Brawl).

Also, in terms of characters planned in the game but had to be cut for the time here's the history

SSB64 = Bowser (Playable from Melee and onward), Mewtwo (Playable in Melee), and King Dedede (Playable in Brawl)

Melee = 4 Retro Representatives (Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Bubbles, and Excitebike. Neither has become playable since. Though Balloon Fighter may have been partially represented by the Villager's Up B), Lucas (Was going to replace Ness in Melee, but ended up being playable along with Ness in Brawl), Sukapon (From a Japanese only fighting game. Hasn't become playable since), and arguably Snake (Kojima begged Sakurai to put him in Melee but it was too late. And he had to wait until Brawl was starting development)

Brawl = Dixie Kong (Might have a chance for SSB4 via Tropical Freeze), Plusle and Minun (Probably unlikely unless they choose them to rep the Gen 3 remakes. But I think Sceptile is more likely at this point if it stoops to that), Toon Zelda (Technically still has a chance. But some say the Phantom Knight that normal Zelda has makes it useless because originally that Knight was specific to the Toon-styled games.)

While the lists could of been much bigger. Only one of the cut for time characters were Mario related (2 if you count Dixie Kong), and 2 for Pokemon (Mewtwo in particular would be cut for time in two games).

Whether you like it or not, Super Smash Bros. is not all about Mario and everything else is just "bonus" or "filler" there needs to be space to represent many aspects of any popular series or even going back to show the history of Nintendo through the roster by bringing back characters from old games. Taking away an entire series from the roster just to include another Mario character would be a bad move.

I am talking about the early planning phases.
Many of these characters that got cut the way I am describing were cut there, not in development.

3D Player 2004 said:
I am talking about the early planning phases.
Many of these characters that got cut the way I am describing were cut there, not in development.

It still feels like you're saying that Smash Bros in it's early planning stages was going to be filled with mostly Mario and/or Pokemon representatives but they just end up cutting them for all the different characters from the different series that you don't really care about. When it's just not true.

I can't imagine anyone prior to any Smash Bros. game say "Welp we have to put the 10 characters other then the already finished Mario and Luigi from SSB64 in. Let's cut Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo, Toad, Bowser Jr., Mew, Blastoise, Venasaur, Zoroark, and Genesect so there's room for them"

Like maybe early planning Mario Characters in SSB4:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Yoshi
Wario
Waluigi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K Rool
Toad & Toadette
Rosalina

Person 1: There, those are all the Mario Characters worthy of inclusion.
Person 2: Thats too many.
Person 1: But Mario has a lot of major characters.
Person 2: Well we have a limited number of slots.
We don't want the entire roster flooded with Mario Characters.
Person 1: But then what would we be able to be cut.
Person 2: I'll cross some early ones out.

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Yoshi
Wario
Waluigi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K Rool
Toad & Toadette
Rosalina

Person 2: Thats a good first cut.
We will come back to this later to decide if we should cut more characters.

I think realistically Daisy and Waluigi would be the first cuts. King K. Rool in particular is a popular choice and the main villain of the original Donkey Kong Country games. So I think it stands within reason he'd be in before Daisy and Waluigi are.

Bowser Jr. & Toad are debatable. As they have had plenty of Main series appearences. But somehow don't have that extra edge that upgrades them to playable character just yet. (Unless there's room for a sixth Mario rep under the Mushroom symbol. Then one of these two would be the more likely. As Waluigi's already deconfirmed. Paper Mario could be a dark horse threat to Junior and Toad however)

3D Player 2004 said:
Would you give up on Captain Falcon appearing in Smash Bros 4 (replaced by another Mario Character) for a new actual mainstream F-Zero game?
If the Mario character is Shy Guy, yes.
Otherwise, no.

cap falcon should get another game, maybe one that's not just about racing and that actually has a good story line

i want to see a crossover game between falc, samus and star fox

call it space marines or something like that

still, falc's one of the guys who just can't leave smash

Shy Guy Forever said:
3D Player 2004 said:
If the Mario character is Shy Guy, yes.
Otherwise, no.
I was not aware that you were an F-Zero fan

Иeptune said:
cap falcon should get another game, maybe one that's not just about racing and that actually has a good story line

i want to see a crossover game between falc, samus and star fox

call it space marines or something like that

still, falc's one of the guys who just can't leave smash
Captain Falcon is said to be a bounty hunter when he's not racing. It could work.
EDIT:
dhNZilf.png

Ugh, why is Fox's foot there?

Back