Character Moveset Speculation: Kirby

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Yeah, yeah, speculate movesets. No need to be detailed, just thinking of a plausible idea for a moveset. Not to be a debate topic, but who knows how this will go...

So, Kirby... SURPRISINGLY popular Nintendo franchise, despite appearances to the contrary. The fact that the series was created by Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of Super Smash Bros., pretty much ensured Kirby a spot int he line-up. I remember Sakurai saying he didn't want to over-indulge in his own franchise, which is far, doesn't want to look like an egotist, but it was still nice to finally get King Dedede (also Meta Knight) in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In fact, I dare say that's pretty much all the Kirby series needs. Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight are the three essential characters from that series and there really isn't much need to add any other characters from that series, particularly since there aren't that many to work with that wouldn't feel like they were pushing it... or again, Sakurai is over-indulging his own franchise.

That being said, there seems to be one popular pick among Kirby newcomers that's grown in popularity lately, to the point where even I'd like to see it, and that's, Waddle Dee, or specifically, Bandanna Waddle Dee/Bandanna Dee. I've seen people get REALLY passionate about this character choice, and while I'm not as smug and dismissive as others, I WILL say it's not AS likely as people think. Yeah, he shows up in several games, including the recent Kirby Triple Deluxe, and he was playable Kirby's Return to Dream Land, but he really is not that major of a character... besides, making him playable would be like making a generic Koopa Troopa playable, just something wouldn't feel right about that. There's also the fact that Waddle Dees are already enemies in Smash Run... then again, having enemy R.O.B.s didn't stop R.O.B. from being playable! Besides, given how much I've worked out the possibility that Ridley can still be playable despite evidence to the contrary, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't say the same for Bandanna Waddle Dee. As for a moveset, yes, his spear is an obvious choice, though I'd like to incorporate everything about Waddle Dee into his moveset, including his Parasol as a possible recover move (despite the enemy Waddle Dees also using parasols). Really, Waddle Dees do a lot in the Kirby series, so there's a lot to work with in terms of a moveset. For his Final Smash, though, I'd like to think he'd use a Megaton Punch on the ground, thought I'm having a hard time figuring out how that would work and how it would KO opponents...

Really, that was the only Kirby character I thought would be on this list, until I read a suggestion for Prince Fluff... and the more I thought about it, the more I thought "...yeah, that would be unique". Prince Fluff, just like Kirby in Kirby's Epic Yarn, can transform into a number of things using his yarn abilities, so he has a lot of attacks to choose from. I'll bet that his neutral special move would be that yarn whip of his... or maybe his grab and throw, since you can roll up enemies and throw them using that whip? Which do you think would work better? His Final Smash would DEFINITELY be the Tankbot! Yeah, it could totally work... but would he be all that likely?

Who even knows... In any case, I'm just glad King Dedede's back. And when Meta Knight inevitably returns as well, I'll be satisfied. It WOULD be cool to have another playable Kirby character, but I'm fine without.

I don't really see how Hypernova can be worked into his current moveset, especially considering that aside from what we've seen in the Supe rSmahs Bros. Direct, not much of his moveset has changed.

Junketsu said:
Kirby needs Beetle and Hypernova.
The only way I can see Hypernova is as a Final Smash, but seeing as Ultra Sword is there I can't see it being used.

Back