Character Moveset Speculation: Metroid

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Next one of these topics! Not a debate topic, just fun speculation on what kind of movesets would characters have. Be sure to only suggest characters that have a workable moveset, and try to come up with one yourself. Doesn't have to be thorough, just giving suggestions or ideas can be enough.

So now it's the Metroid series' turn... And since I said that this isn't meant to be a debate topic, and since Ridley can never be mentioned in Super Smash Bros. without some kind of debate coming out of it (despite the fact that I have yet to see a truly reasonable argument against Ridley's inclusion, other then "I just don't want him."), I won't be talking about him here... Which is sad because there really aren't that many other suggestions I have.

It's funny, I probably wouldn't want Dark Samus since, you know, she seems like obvious clone material, but after seeing how her Assist Trophy acts in this new game.. . yeah, sign me up for seeing her playable in Super Smash Bros.! Ironic that it took her deconfirmation to convince me...

I suppose other choices for playable characters would include the various bounty hunters introduced in the Prime series, however, since I haven't played the Prime games (except for the beginning of the first Metroid Prime), I don't know anything about them. My typical go-to choice from the list, though, is Sylux, since he seems to have the most interesting backstory, in that we barely know anything about him... it feels like Retro Studios are setting up something with him, from what I've read. Other then him, I find Trace really cool as well; in fact I'd say he's got a lot more interesting moves going for him compared to Sylux, who just seems to have a suit that's not all that different form Samus's power suit, or the suits of the Galactic Federation in general. Noxus and Spire also seem cool, but I think Trace might be my favorite choice out of all of them. Unfortunately, since I don't know anything about them, I can't really suggest much in terms of movesets...

But just so this topic isn't completely devoid of moveset speculation, I'll throw one out for Anthony Higgs, aka the only good thing about Metroid: Other M. Ugh, don't even start, please. Regardless about how you feel about the game, I think we can all agree that Anthony was a genuinely cool guy and a welcome new character to the Metroid universe. Really, the fact that he's so friendly and supportive towards Samus really puts him a step about the cold and distant Adam Malkovich, despite being told (by Samus herself, making things rather questionable) that he's a super awesome, amazing guy. Hell, if it weren't for how awkwardly he's portrayed in that game I would have suggested him, since he has mroe relevance, given that he's mentioned/hinted at in Metroid Fusion. But either way, if Anthony or Adam were playable, they'd probably just use the Galactic Federation suit they were wearing in that game, and probably make use of those ice beams of theirs. Really, since I have such a limited knowledge of the Metroid series and what kind of regulations a GF unit has when it comes to weapons, they could use just about anything if they were playable.

Regardless of who they pick, whether it be the characters I suggested or someone else, I sincerely hope they DO have another Metroid character playable. I mean, there are so many characters in the Metroid universe, and despite being in a weird stage of limbo at the moment, I still think the Metroid series is a major franchise of Nintendo's, and as such, I think they deserve at least ONE other representative that isn't an alternate version of Samus. Wouldn't you agree?

Smashgoom202 said:
I think we can all agree that Anthony was a genuinely cool guy and a welcome new character to the Metroid universe.

Nope.

Say Smashgoom. What's the exact schedule of these threads. Do you have a specific order of franchises you're going with?

Will 3rd Parties be at least one of these thread?

Northern Verve said:
Say Smashgoom. What's the exact schedule of these threads. Do you have a specific order of franchises you're going with?

Will 3rd Parties be at least one of these thread?
I plan to do one a day, and yes, I will do third party characters. My order will go like this:

Mario (done)
Donkey Kong (done
Yoshi (done)
Wario (done)
The Legend of Zelda (done)
Metroid (done)
Kirby
Star Fox
Pokémon
EarthBound/Mother
Fire Emblem
Kid Icarus
The Rest (F-Zero, Ice Climber, Game & Watch, Pikmin, R.O.B., etc.)
Other Nintendo Franchises
Third Party

Smashgoom202 said:
What's not to like about him?

I feel as though his backstory is not fleshed out enough, and what he does in-game is too little to be of any real importance.

Junketsu said:
Smashgoom202 said:
What's not to like about him?

I feel as though his backstory is not fleshed out enough, and what he does in-game is too little to be of any real importance.
Yeah, well Samus herself had little to no importance in her own freaking game, so there's that. Also, if Other M taught me anything, it's that no or little backstory is better then a crappy backstory, and in that respect, what I learned about Samus in that game, makes Anthony look better in comparison, since I barely know anything about him other then that he's a close friend of Samus and is a pretty cool guy overall.

He's just a guy with a next-to-useless gun who likes to call her Princess.

Junketsu said:
He's just a guy with a next-to-useless gun who likes to call her Princess.
Again, Samus is the next-to-useless girl in a power suit who keeps saying "The Baby" and keeps going on about how awesomely super awesome Adam Malkovich is.

At least Anthony has some personality and charm to him, and don't drone on about bullcrap in an irritating monotone voice.

When she did use something other than monotone, people complained about that, too. She has internal monologues in Fusion, which I guess were ok because Samus talking is a bad thing. She isn't next-to-useless since she's the only person on the Bottle Ship besides MB and the Deleter who accomplishes anything. Adam just ends up being kind of the pain in the ass he is in Fusion (he should have just gotten a Super Missile to the face), and Anthony gets one lucky shot then does nothing except happen to use the emergency brakes because of the plot.

Junketsu said:
When she did use something other than monotone, people complained about that, too. She has internal monologues in Fusion, which I guess were ok because Samus talking is a bad thing. She isn't next-to-useless since she's the only person on the Bottle Ship besides MB and the Deleter who accomplishes anything. Adam just ends up being kind of the pain in the ass he is in Fusion (he should have just gotten a Super Missile to the face), and Anthony gets one lucky shot then does nothing except happen to use the emergency brakes because of the plot.
It's not the idea of Samus talking, it's the idea of Samus talking in the most boring, emotionless, unengaging voice possible, AND the fact that the dialogue is wooden, redundant, and in some cases contradictory.

I was hoping we wouldn't get into an Other M rant, but it seems I really have to justify myself here. Geez...

Quick question: what, exactly did she accomplish? What did she do that was so important that completely changed how these events would go down?

Regardless, my point IS, Anthony has actual personality, unlike the rest of the crew that gets killed off, or Adam who's emotionally distant and a big prick, or Samus who's badly characterized, and NO I DON'T expect her to be a super badass with no emotional baggage, I'm saying the way she was characterized in Other M was bad. It COULD have been good if it was actually done better, but it wasn't, and that's why Anthony looks so much better in comparison!

Back