No more unlockable characters?

Do you want to have unlockable characters again?

• Yes

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Anser

King Bowser
It's weird that Sakurai has revealed characters that tend to be unlockable on the webpage. Luigi, Marth, Toon Link and Sonic have all been unlockable in the past, so, do you think it's possible that this time around there will be no unlockable characters and we'll get the whole roster from the get-go, given it's a trend in modern fighting games?

Some people (especially competitive players) agree with this, since they want to play with their mains right away, and some times, their mains are unlockable. Personally, I would hate this, because I've always thought it's exciting to get a new character. Besides, it's, to me, the most fun part of the game. Also, I hope (and I'm almost sure) that Mega Man, Rosalina and Greninja will be unlockable.

That being said, I hope that this time around they actually make us work for our characters. Fighting 5 times to get Ness, 10 to get Marth and 22 for Luigi was a joke. I mean, I don't expect them to make us beat Classic, All-Star and Adventure Mode in Intense with 1 life in under 3 minutes but hey, give us some challenge, like with Mewtwo in Melee. I didn't feel the challenge of unlocking characters in Brawl because all I had to do was beat the Subspace Emissary :S

What do you think about this? Do you want to have unlockable characters again or not? And why?

You know, unlockable characters feel rewarding. I really like that rewarding feeling. Like for games even as Mario Kart, in the Wii version getting stars on every course gets you Dry Bowser, that is extremely rewarding.

Hmmmm...although maybe in SSB, having no unlockables does me you can fight with every character right off the bat. That is very, very nice. Still, I think I would like unlockables.

Unlocking characters can be fun. In Melee is was annoying for some, especially Mewtwo. Brawl was very easy though.

There's usually a default character I like that I can play until my moans are unlocked. The fact that Marth may be default this time around which would be very nice. Marth has always been my main and it would be nice to have him right away.

Unlocking characters makes using them feel more rewarding. Some people may think otherwise, however, since game data tends to be copy-protected nowadays.

I liked the challenge of getting a new character, and then fighting them. It gives me a bigger feel of accomplishment.

I like unlocking the roster.

I find it fun. Plus, it makes it easier to try all the characters since you're starting with only some of them.

honestly long as its not a dull drawn out process or really repetitive i dont mind unlocking characters.

Of course im used to so many other fighting games where they usually dont have unlockable characters.

Well, I definitely think there will be unlockable character. I mean, with the Brawl website, we got characters that were showed to everyone, but was still an unlockable character.

I'm thinking that starting about now we'll get some "?" stuff like last time warning us major spoilers for certain characters, but we'll see.

While I prefer to have unlockable characters, I prefer to have throwaway requirements like Ness's play 5 Brawls and Marths play 10 Brawls.

even though I don't think it'll happen, i'd rather have all characters as default because i'd like to be able to play as whoever the hell I want as soon as I get the game

Back