Maleficent (2014)

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Mario4Ever
I figure since we're about two months away from the premiere, it'd be appropriate to have a thread about the film.

For your viewing/discussion pleasure:

"Dream" Trailer

Maleficent's Wings (trailer for a trailer)

i can't say i'm particularly excited for it, but it looks like it can be good

I think it's wonderful to have something from the villain's perspective so this is just absolutely wonderful so I'll take all of the "looking forward to it" that nabber is lacking and just add it to my own.

The cheekbones also remind of of Born This Way-era Lady Gaga.....................

I hadn't really thought of that, but now that you mention it, I see what you mean.

I think about how to apply Lady Gaga to all facets of life a lot.

Morty said:
I think it's wonderful to have something from the villain's perspective so this is just absolutely wonderful so I'll take all of the "looking forward to it" that nabber is lacking and just add it to my own.
Yeah, it's a nice new perspective.

...as long as you don't count Megamind, Wreck-it Ralph, Bowser's Inside Story, or any other recent fictional work that shows things from the villain's perspective. Which there are a lot of.

I'm not saying this is going to be bad, but it's not going to be new.

Dr. Javelin said:
Morty said:

...as long as you don't count Megamind, Wreck-it Ralph, Bowser's Inside Story, or any other recent fictional work that shows things from the villain's perspective. Which there are a lot of.

Those aren't anything like what Maleficent is doing. There's a difference between starring or focusing on a villain and using that villain to retell a story we've already experienced from the perspective of someone else.

EDIT: New trailer

Dr. Javelin said:
Morty said:

and don't forged wicked

Howl said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Morty said:

and don't forged wicked
oh and despicable me, that was a good movie

Dr. Javelin said:
wait, what?

despicable me was the best "villain protagonist" story

I thought it was fine until it introduced the lovey-dovey crap that undercut all of the villainous aspects of Gru's personality.

Junketsu said:
Dr. Javelin said:
wait, what?

I thought it was fine until it introduced the lovey-dovey crap that undercut all of the villainous aspects of Gru's personality.
That's what I thought. He was fine as a criminal, but then they introduced those sisters and made him a good guy. So he became "villain protagonist" to "nice loving protaginist" halfway through.

i always thought that despicable me was a good movie with likable characters, imaginative designs, great animation, and a relatively good plot. it's not the best movie, but it's still touching

the sequel is awful but that's not the point

Junketsu said:
Dr. Javelin said:
wait, what?

well, i didn't think that was as bad in the first movie as it was in the second

Yeah, it was a lot worse in the second, but it was too much a driving force of the first movie.

What I couldn't stand about Despicable Me, as well as The Lorax, was that the cute side-characters just fucking....were the movie. It felt like they were the movie. The Minions, the bears, just, so many close-ups and unnecessary interludes featuring them and their antics like wow just get back to the plot, keep the side-characters to an inevitable Nickelodeon spin-off. Also how Olaf was marketed to hell prior to Frozen's release and he ended up not really meaning anything in the movie except one touching quote out of nowhere near the end and a disturbing reminder that Elsa can create artificial life without even trying. Previews for Despicable Me 2 featured nothing more than animated shorts of the Minions like I can't even. Opinions.

Anyways that trailer looks gr8 can't wait to see it aaaaaaaaaaaa dragons and magic and evil and aaaaaaaa

Morty said:
What I couldn't stand about Despicable Me, as well as The Lorax, was that the cute side-characters just fucking....were the movie. It felt like they were the movie.
in the first movie, the minions weren't as big of a deal and were barely even in the previews, but after they got insanely popular they started featuring them way, way more than they needed to be featured

idk i still think the first despicable me movie is one of the best animated films out there, up with frozen, kung fu panda, shrek 2, and up

Xanthium said:
Did you know that in France (I don't know about elsewhere), there is actually a comic featuring those Minions?
Huh, maybe they should get together with the Rabbids (who are derived from French) or something and leave everyone else alone.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Xanthium said:
Did you know that in France (I don't know about elsewhere), there is actually a comic featuring those Minions?
Huh, maybe they should get together with the Rabbids (who are derived from French) or something and leave everyone else alone.

I despise those Rabbids. We didn't get a good Rayman game for a while (before Origins) thanks to them.

Back