Author Topic: Tournaments  (Read 2400 times)

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
Tournaments
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
May as well. Last year this thread existed in January already.

So I had plans in hosting Mario Kart 7 & 8 tournaments. I haven't set up solid plans yet, but I expect it to be similar to last year. MK8's online gameplay is still unknown at this point though.

Anything on Wii (think MKWii/SSBB) will not be possible, since that is ending too soon discontinued.

Lakituthequick:   Mario Kart 7
Mario Kart 8
Pyro (LTQ co-host):Minecraft
Superchao and MrConcreteDonkey:Mafia
New Super Mario and DragonFreak:Yu-Gi-Oh Dueling Network
LumastarMario Golf: World Tour
Dippy:Team Fortress 2
???:Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS
Green = confirmed
Purple = suggestion
Gray striked = deconfirmed
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:19:31 AM by Lakituthequick »

Pyro

• Power Star
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »
I really have my mind set on Minecraft Games 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
Discussed this the last 30-or-so minutes of this night's meeting, small recap:
  • Discussed Minecraft, Pyro has a spreadsheet with some suggestions that were discussed, along changes from last year. (Link to sheet)
    Also, Uniju and Toadbert have made a list of suggestions on Minecraft themselves, though it's unclear yet if they want to host their own version or let them merge with Pyro and co-host. (Link to list)
  • Suggested that we do both MK7 and MK8 (though we pretty much did that already).
  • Also suggested was SSB4, might be out by late-July at earliest. We don't know who suggested it, might be GameFreak. Don't know who would host it.
  • Also, it was mentioned that Dippy wants to do TF2 again.

So the latter two where added in the OP.

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:54:49 PM »
I'm really bad at coming to meetings huhhh

Do you guys think we should go for another Pokemon tournament? I wouldn't mind hosting it again, especially since I have some more experience with the thing. I think we'd probably draw in more people too (not that 10 people was a bad draw last year for a first time tournament).

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 10:59:21 PM »
It's got to be on 3DS then, as Nintendo WFC will be gone by the time the Awards are here.

I don't know how X and Y's online features are, so I'm not concluding things on that part.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
I'd like a pokemon tournament again, and while I raised a tiny fuss about people using copy/paste teams there's kinda not really anything that can be done about it so whatevs I'd be fine with what we did last year but with the newer games.  After all, we can just ridicule and shame people who pull their teams literally from pages like this on our own time  :)

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »
Last time at Dragonball Z the meeting:
  • Lotsa talk about who would host a Mafia game, if any. Blocky and MCD are gonna do it.
  • Packy suggested Pokémon X/Y.
  • SSB4 has passed again, but we're still not sure about the release date and such.
  • Talk about DotA has passed, and Dippy might not host TF2 after all. Groden was mentioned as a potential for the latter though.
  • Mario Gold: World Tour was mentioned, but it's popularity is unknown.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 11:35:30 PM »
I know Smasher said he would not mind being my co-host again, but if I can at least for sure get a confirmation on that I would be glad to start working on tournament stuff now, if I can get a green-light for it also from the rest of you guys.

I'd like a pokemon tournament again, and while I raised a tiny fuss about people using copy/paste teams there's kinda not really anything that can be done about it so whatevs I'd be fine with what we did last year but with the newer games.  After all, we can just ridicule and shame people who pull their teams literally from pages like this on our own time  :)

I'd like to take away smogon teams but it would probably piss off a lot of people and I'm not sure if I want to go through with that. Doing that would probably take away some players so ehhh...

(but i like that eevee team !!)

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:12:53 AM »
You can go ahead with your Pokémon tournament. I see no problems.

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
  • "The hated boss who beats you down..."
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 05:36:37 AM »
I'd like to take away smogon teams but it would probably piss off a lot of people and I'm not sure if I want to go through with that. Doing that would probably take away some players so ehhh...

Yeah, at the very least, we should keep the same no legendaries, no same Pokemon, no same items rule as last time. Also, are there any banned mega evolutions of Pokemon? I'm thinking that, since Blaziken is already considered top-tier, that his Mega Evolution be banned lest everyone be spamming him. I'm not too familiar with the Pokemon meta game, but I also heard Mega Kangaskhan is considered OP too.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:52 AM »
I don't know too much about the Mega Evolutions (to be truly honest, I haven't gotten very far in my copy of X) but it would probably be for the best to ban them. They do seem rather OP and I don't want them ruining the balance of a tournament.

That being said, those same rules are probably going to stand (no legendaries, no same Pokemon, no same items) unless anybody has a legitimate reason to not implement them.

Mario4Ever

• Lucius Needful
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • A price for everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 10:51:02 AM »
Mega Evolutions give Pokémon major stat boosts and sometimes cause ability/type changes. I agree that it'd probably be a good idea to ban them all instead of a select few.
[...]This is the best weekend I've had since Salem.

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
  • "The hated boss who beats you down..."
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
I think banning all Mega Evolutions in general would be bad and would probably turn people off the whole thing (i.e. why bother using X/Y if you aren't going to use Mega Evolutions), but banning the stuff like Mega Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan would be fine.

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
  • That's what I call hamburgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »
Nah ban them all and tell people to not be *bleep*es about it

Turboo

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
idk we should at least ban the stupid ones, no legendaries, etc

if we were to ban all the mega evos and people asked that, we would tell them that we have to use x and y because it's the only main game with functioning wifi (to my knowledge)

Turboo

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 04:25:50 AM »
i think we should try to start signups on some of these soon, especially mafia since that takes the longest

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 08:19:14 AM »
I'm working on the both MK's on the background. 8 isn't out yet, so how the online stuff works exactly I don't know yet, so I'm not busy on that part yet, but 7's almost ready. Posting separate threads about them soonish.

Pyro

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 05:03:37 PM »
by the way, minecraft games 2 is confirmed, LTQ and I are working on it

Chiaki Oogaki

• Outdoor Activities Club President
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • Aki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
you should probably remove smash as 3ds has been delayed till october and wii u is coming out during the holidays

hee heehee hee

New Super Mario

• NSM
  • Celestial Guide
  • Ghirahim
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 05:55:07 PM »
So DF and I will be hosting a Dueling Network tournament! :D

I have some token ideas hear so I figured I'd just post them. Tell me what you think and how I should balance it. (also I assume the tournament would be a kind of single elimination thing)

I'm also not sure how many people will participate as of yet so DF and I might adjust it after we know.

I was thinking about earning tokens based on what combos you do and cards and stuff like that, but I don't really want to have people adding up all this stuff as they play, so I'm just going to go with the basics.

So this would be for a 16 person bracket. We're probably just going to keep it even with either 8, 16, or 32 just to keep it consistent, so I would just add/get rid of a round if it's not 16 (plus play in games are just meh)

Lose in round 1 (consolation prize yay): 2 tokens
Win a duel in round 1: 4 tokens
Win a duel in round 2: 6 tokens
Win a duel in the final four: 10 tokens
Place 3rd/4th: 6 tokens
Place 2nd: 12 tokens
Place 1st Place: 15 tokens

So 1st place, added together would rank you 35 tokens. 2nd would get you 32 tokens. 3rd and 4th would get you 16 tokens. Then if you place somewhere after that you could get either 4 tokens if you win one game in the first round, or 2 if you just lose right away.

Also these would be optional, so I want to hear your opinions (more so for token balancing, I don't expect you to know what this is if you don't play yugioh)

These would be for after the duel ends sort of "achievements".

Win the duel with the help of a spell or trap card: 1 token
Win the duel by attacking with a monster with less than 500 attack points: 2 tokens
Win the duel within 5 turns: 2 tokens
Win the duel with 8000 LP still left: 4 tokens
Lose from a close game (less than 1501 lp between you and your opponent at the end of the duel): 4 tokens
Come from behind and win (you with 2000 or less LP and your opponent with 7000 LP or more): 4 tokens

Also players would have to use the same deck through the whole tournament.